HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:00 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
You've given us very little to go on. Here's my guess based on some pre-suppositions which are:
Electric, foamy, multiple motors, LiPo battery, dual ESC's, smallish battery packs.

Folks get sucked into electricfly due to the convenience, and not recognizing all the dark gremlins that exist. I am guessing that the Fail Safe position for elevator is full up. If that's the case, a total loss of power to the right engine would cause the left engine to pull the plane around to the right, this increase in power would cause the left wing to climb like you had applied full right aileron. Couple this with a potential "brown our" and Voila.

At this point, you will need to do a lot of voltage/current measuring, as well as battery testing. You don't indicate where the power for the AR8000 was coming from, but this application sure screams for a seperate battery pack.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:04 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,837 Posts
There are SO MANY possible reasons as to what could be the cause that without actualy being there to witness and diagnose the problem right on the spot all your going to get here is GUESSES.

All you can really do is properly test your setup to ensure maximum signal strenght, proper power to the receiver and servos and and a good pre-flight check.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:04 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
Thanks Freechip et. al. sounds good.
Now one last question. Can I put a "Y" on the Power/Bind slot, and another "Y" on the end of the first "Y"? I want to power the TM 1K off one leg, have a spare for "Bind" and another pukka for the battery.
See below...

I like having an open pigtail that allows me to easily "Re-bind" should it be necessary... ( haven't seen the need as much but still like the option)

KKKKFL
It would be far better to put the power Y on a channel that will draw lots of power (rudder? aileron?) than on a 3-way Y setup. In particular, you would want to have the battery as far away from the TM1000 as possible, in order to allow the TM1000 to see the lowest voltage more accurately.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:08 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ib Jensen View Post
I have often wondered why the Throttle channel was sacrosanct.
It's the ONLY channel that in all receivers has a preset failsafe. In all receivers, it will go to the position of the channel during binding. The other channels vary depending on the receiver and the type of bind you used.

The receiver you would probably want to use is the AR6255 - it's the only 6-channel with preset available on all channels (and it always does preset, never hold-last).

Quote:
I have a couple dozen planes that do not use the throttle channel. I have a bunch of 3 and 4 servo gliders that I have to put 6 channel receivers in because I cant use the throttle channel for anything. I have a number of 6 servo gliders that I have to put 7+ channel receivers in because I cant get rid of the throttle.
You can get rid of throttle by mixing THR > THR at -100% to turn it off. Then you can mix to it anything else you might want.

Keep the failsafe info above in mind when you do so.

You might want to consider the AR400 for those planes now

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,879 Posts
To slightly reword Andy's note:
The connectors on harnesses/ Ys/extensions /servos , have highest resistance in the little pins in the plastic ends

So---- when decideding on how and where to attch power , try to get battery as directly connected to the rx pin strip as possible.
ANYWHERE along the pinstrip is fine as the pinstrip (the buss) can carry a lota current .
make a few HD Ys with short wires and genuine hd ends .
plug these into channels (any) and plug battery and the servo into em.
It is a good idea to connect battery into two sets of these y's .
why?
you lower resistance by 1/2 using two connections points .

On our old BIG models , we did this all the time as the multiple sets of servos really sucked power .
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:19 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
I had not considered a "Y" on another channel as a power input... thanks for opening the parachute.

KKKKFL
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:16 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
Got it working guys, thanks especially to you Freechip, I printed the instructions and got it going pretty quickly... amazed that the transmitter was smart enough to bounce flaps to the gear channel. I didn't even have to monkey with the switch set up's, guess they were close enough. I also took Andy's advice and have Left Aileron with a "Y" in the Aux 1 port and that's where the Power is also coming in. This puts the TM 1000 at the other end of the chain, as far from the battery input as possible.

Only thing left is to try her out in the air. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Wx gods this Saturday.

One final note, I adjusted Differential so I have half the down throw of up for each side.

KKKKFL
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:50 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,837 Posts
The differential amount is purely based on the actual plane and how it fly.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
StevieT.
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
You've given us very little to go on. Here's my guess based on some pre-suppositions which are:
Electric, foamy, multiple motors, LiPo battery, dual ESC's, smallish battery packs.

Folks get sucked into electricfly due to the convenience, and not recognizing all the dark gremlins that exist. I am guessing that the Fail Safe position for elevator is full up. If that's the case, a total loss of power to the right engine would cause the left engine to pull the plane around to the right, this increase in power would cause the left wing to climb like you had applied full right aileron. Couple this with a potential "brown our" and Voila.

At this point, you will need to do a lot of voltage/current measuring, as well as battery testing. You don't indicate where the power for the AR8000 was coming from, but this application sure screams for a seperate battery pack.

KKKKFL
I was flying with telemetry, although it seems Iike the Rx voltage alarm is set to Inh by default, so it wouldn't have gone off. That's a strange default for an alarm, given that flaps are on by default!
Randino is offline Find More Posts by Randino
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Theres nothing more you can do with only 6 channels so thats the best you can do.

You can reset the timer with the Clear button.
Thanks aerocal; I just learned something new
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Phantom hold indication on telemetry?

Guys (and Andy),

I have been flying my Eflite Super Cub 25e for the last couple weeks on a DX8 with the TM1000 telemetry module set up to provide a low battery warning. Works great. Today I added alarms for low BEC and >1 "hold" events.

The low flight pack warning is set to vibe only. The low BEC is set to beep only. More than one HOLD is set to beep and vibe. "Frames" is inhibited.

Today, on one flight I got two widely separated "beep and vibe" alerts, indicating (I assume) two holds (the first alert) and then a third hold (the second alert). Trouble is that examining the transmitter display showed 16 antenna fades but ZERO holds. What am I missing? I examined the manuals but they don't give much detail on what the transmitter display is supposed to show, or whether another event might produce a momentary "beep and vibe". ??

TIA,
Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:35 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,488 Posts
When the TM1000 is distant, you will get this warning.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,837 Posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
When the TM1000 is distant, you will get this warning.

Andy
Thanks, Andy.... that was one of my suspicions. I have the TM1000 antenna routed horizontally, and at one point I noticed I had lost the telemetry while I was on the ground. I'll re-route the TM1000 antenna to put it vertical, which should improve it.

Might I suggest that either the DX8 or the TM1000 manual (or better still BOTH) be updated to give a better description of the system functionality? For example, this behavior that you describe.... beep and vibe upon loss of telemetry.... is not explained anywhere that I have found. This is a powerful system, but is kinda crippled if the full functionality is not described anywhere

Can you also explain what the four flight log parameters are. "F(rame)" and "H(old)" seem self explanatory but A, B, L and R are not immediately obvious and are not explained anywhere that I have seem. I have been assuming the "A" is antenna fade, but maybe not??

Thanks,
Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Last edited by pgoelz; Sep 06, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:28 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,837 Posts
They represent antennas, Two of them are main and then other two are sat antennas.

Forget which is which.

Just remembered its found in the DX8 manual

A - Antenna fades on internal antenna A
B - Antenna fades on internal antenna B (not used on the AR8000)
L - Antenna fades on the left external antenna
R - Antenna fades on the right external antenna (not used on the AR8000)
F - Frame loss
H - Holds