Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:56 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
The good news is that so far with only one exception (which seems to be limited to a single transmitter) the bugs are all firmware issues so easy to fix with an update....
They mite be easy to FIX but none the less they are issues that can still cause a crash. I luv my DX8 and only used it to fly my CX2 and found mixing issue to affect the way I fly. So now what do I do with my other more expensive models? Do I wait? For How long? Just glad I kept my DX6i as backup.

When I read that features of the DX8 was SD card good for UPDATES I taught that was pretty cool BUT I did not think that I was going to be the one testing there software at the possible cost of one of my airplanes. My wife is already upset at the amount I spend in this hobby, how do you think she is going to react if I come home with a plane in pieces because my brand new expensive but well value radio caused it.

I am still luving it but I too have limits.

I had spare time on my hands since I am only at work and read the Z review and you know what, forget who its comming from and I must admit I agree with some of it.

The issue that I experience with my CX2 programming is somewhat serious BUT then I know I will get FLY IT IN AIRPLANE type from HH.

Its already been said by Andy to someone asking about heli programming for MSR or similar heli (fly in airplane mode and you will be happier)...
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Oct 01, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:15 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
The issue that I experience with my CX2 programming is somewhat serious BUT then I know I will get FLY IT IN AIRPLANE type from HH.

Its already been said by Andy to someone asking about heli programming for MSR or similar heli (fly in airplane mode and you will be happier)...
I think the CX2 and mSR manuals say to fly them in airplane mode and those manuals were printed long before the DX8 existed. They do the swash mixing on-board and don't need/want a heli radio, right?
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:36 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
The best antenna position is to bend it upward at 90˚. This guaranties you will be in the strongest part of the antenna radiation pattern (google it) unless you are directly overhead. The signal comes off the side of the antenna. The radiation pattern is shaped like a big fat airplane tire with the antenna being the axle. The signal off the end of the antenna is inherently weak.

But above 30MHz is the horizontal polarization (bend antenna 90 to the side) the better choice. But all is better as pointing with the antenna direct towards the RX antenna.
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:37 AM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
I've been reading comments like that for around 15 to 20 years now. Once a product gains user upgradable firmware, it seems the testing of the initial release almost always goes down because a bug is not such a disaster anymore.

On the other hand, you probably do get more features per dollar more quickly and sometimes they add even more features than you originally paid for (like the throttle out timer already added) so it's a trade off.
A bug is a big disaster in this case because it may cause a crash of an expensive model. That's very different than bugs in iPhones that may drop a call now and then.

Regarding your second comment, it's part of the competitive business they are in that they have to offer new features. Consumers will go with the best product at a particular cost point. Putting out buggy products opens the door for competition... of course, if there's no competition, there's no incentive to fix any bugs.
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:48 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yes bugs in a PC software title is one thing, and only cost's you time a a headache or two.
But bugs ina radio control system where a very expensive model aircraft is dependent on it to work as it is supposed to is completely another.

Was hard to keep my balance at first, but this fence is getting more comfortable all the time.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Oct 01, 2010, 11:04 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
I think the CX2 and mSR manuals say to fly them in airplane mode and those manuals were printed long before the DX8 existed. They do the swash mixing on-board and don't need/want a heli radio, right?
Yes they do not need mixing and can be flown in acro but its a heli and I got a HELI/ACRO radio and so I like to see the HELI pitcure when I am flying my heli. Also it give me the option of throttle hold, throttle curve among other things. Sure I dont need them but they are there and I STILL WANT THEM TO WORK CORRECTLY.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 11:05 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,215 Posts
If SPEKTRUM is still monitoring this thread then please ADD an option to revert back to original VERSION. Atleast the issues then did not affect me and I could go back to it.
Last edited by freechip; Oct 01, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:37 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Regarding the displayed battery voltage on the DX8 with the supplied NiMH pack - after a full charge mine showed 5.4V and dropped to 5.0V after an hour. An hour later it dropped to 4.9V. At the end of the 4th hour it was at 4.8V and remained there until I turned it off at the end of 6 hours. I'm using version 1.02 firmware.

I was curious because my DX6i reads 5.6V after a full charge and it takes it a few hours of operation to get down to 5.0V (on the display).

Wonder if anyone else sees anything much different with the DX8. But, it does appear to run happily at 4.8V for most of the charge (which is probably where it should be for the NiMH pack).
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:41 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
If SPEKTRUM is still monitoring this thread then please ADD an option to revert back to original VERSION. Atleast the issues then did not affect me and I could go back to it.
I suspect that the price for this would be a complete data wipe and an inability to import data files created on later versions of firmware.

Not sure if many would be willing to pay the price, but if they continue to fail to perform competent regression testing then I agree we may end up needing this
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:41 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Regarding the displayed battery voltage on the DX8 with the supplied NiMH pack - after a full charge mine showed 5.4V and dropped to 5.0V after an hour. An hour later it dropped to 4.9V. At the end of the 4th hour it was at 4.8V and remained there until I turned it off at the end of 6 hours. I'm using version 1.02 firmware.

I was curious because my DX6i reads 5.6V after a full charge and it takes it a few hours of operation to get down to 5.0V (on the display).

Wonder if anyone else sees anything much different with the DX8. But, it does appear to run happily at 4.8V for most of the charge (which is probably where it should be for the NiMH pack).
Apparently NiMH's need to be cycled a few time to reach their optimum performance. I have a cycling feature on my Passport Ultra, but I dont have an adapter for the DX8 battery pack. Last night was only my second charge cycle.
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:48 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Apparently NiMH's need to be cycled a few time to reach their optimum performance. I have a cycling feature on my Passport Ultra, but I dont have an adapter for the DX8 battery pack. Last night was only my second charge cycle.
You're probably right about cycling - that was only my second charge, as well. I'll check it again after a few more cycles.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
You're probably right about cycling - that was only my second charge, as well. I'll check it again after a few more cycles.
It is too bad these NiMH packs are not LSD (low self discharge) I bought some Duracell Precharged LSD's and I use them in my DX6i, and they last for weeks! I think it was 3 weeks when I had to charge them. They are only $12 for 4 at Home Depot. The Spektrum pack we have sells for $27.99!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 01, 2010, 01:03 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
It is too bad these NiMH packs are not LSD (low self discharge) I bought some Duracell Precharged LSD's and I use them in my DX6i, and they last for weeks! I think it was 3 weeks when I had to charge them. They are only $12 for 4 at Home Depot. The Spektrum pack we have sells for $27.99!
VP
Yeah, I really liked the individual cell feature of the DX6i, giving lots of cheap options. I always carried a set of regular alkalines for back-up, but never needed them. My DX6i is almost 3-years old, and I'm still using the original Spektrum NiMH batteries after many hundreds of hours flying, and I flew for weeks between charges - that TX is a real battery miser! (Although the batteries are just now needing to be recharged more often.)

I suppose the DX8 pack style does give some flyers an extra sense of security with the connector, but it does limit the options somewhat.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 01:14 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Yes they do not need mixing and can be flown in acro but its a heli and I got a HELI/ACRO radio and so I like to see the HELI pitcure when I am flying my heli. Also it give me the option of throttle hold, throttle curve among other things. Sure I dont need them but they are there and I STILL WANT THEM TO WORK CORRECTLY.
You can do throttle hold and curves in plane mode on the DX8.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 01:17 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,215 Posts
Just used Andy's recommendation of using a servo extension and removing the plastic shielding around the pins to be able to use as charging lead for the DX8 pack. The pin spacing is ideal for the pack connector.