SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Did the vibe alarm go off at that time by chance? It will screw up the gimbals on some radios when it goes off. Mine causes the throttle to cut out, and mine is a radio supposedly in the later batches where this was fixed.
Then you should send it in for repair.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Then you should send it in for repair.

Andy
Yes I should but it is flying season and I don't want to be down for a month unfortunately. And who knows what I will get charged in brokerage and shippng fees, it seems various people have different experiences.

It is unfortunate in this day and age it is too much to expect a product to be workign when new. Spektrum QC could be a bit better I think. But I'm left disabiling features to have a working radio for now at least.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
near Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
149 Posts
No alarms or anything. My radio had been sent back to HH late in 2011 for the upgrade the bulletin at that time suggested. They also put in DSMX at that time.
elhepilot is offline Find More Posts by elhepilot
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:55 PM
Fly, Crash, Learn, Fly
France (Beaujolais-Vert)
Joined Nov 2008
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogel View Post
As a software engineer, I can honestly say I'd rather have software come "late" (later, since there's no late because there's no announced release date) than have it released with a bug that affects the user experience, that's even more true with RC control software. So, assuming it is "late" as you suggest, then the valid assumption would be they found a bug worth fixing before release and I applaud them for it.

The alternative -- releasing "on schedule" with a bug you know you need to fix -- just means that new bug will take even longer to get fixed.

Peter+
Coming from a similar background to a certain extend I only partially agree here.

The current SW has a number of known and identified bugs in it.
I have it on writing that some of these bugs have already been identified and fixed in the code.
What people here are asking for is a new release to be made available ASAP that contains the fixes to these known and fixed bugs.
If, after such a release there are still other non identified bugs in there, well, than the code still is not perfect, but at least it is better than it was before...

No one is asking for a new release that will actually be a "bug release"...
AdrenaCo is offline Find More Posts by AdrenaCo
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,984 Posts
That's exactly what we've done twice, once with DX8 version 2.03B and once with DX10t version 1.02B.

In other words, when it's appropriate, it happens. When not appropriate, it doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenaCo View Post
I have it on writing that some of these bugs have already been identified and fixed in the code.
Probably right here on RCG, where I mentioned it, right?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I just hope the new software comes out before jetpower in Germany..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,984 Posts
I never heard of Jetpower. Looks like a fun meet, should be a nice thing for an anniversary. The 10th JR AeroTow was a big hit this year too.

The DX10t update went live yesterday.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:02 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
Any word on if the L Trim switch select bug will be in the next update for DX8?

Also anyway to increase the travel when using R Trim set on Aux channel, seems to cap out under 40%? Asked this on the other thread where you replied on the L Trim bug and then it went silent. It is sometimes hard ot know if something is a bug or a built in feature limit.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Its alk turbine jets never been there myself.... This is my first time.
Last year they allowed edfs also...but not just any edf..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:10 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Also anyway to increase the travel when using R Trim set on Aux channel, seems to cap out under 40%?
It's actually at 29.3% and it's exactly as it is supposed to be. Trims are limited to that much travel, and that's exactly what it's giving you. It's working exactly as it should.

The best you can do is put the mix gain at 125% which will give you +/-36.6% of travel.

The DX18 has two names for the trimmers. One gives the standard trim range and the other gives the full travel range.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:14 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It's actually at 29.3% and it's exactly as it is supposed to be. Trims are limited to that much travel, and that's exactly what it's giving you. It's working exactly as it should.

The best you can do is put the mix gain at 125% which will give you +/-36.6% of travel.

The DX18 has two names for the trimmers. One gives the standard trim range and the other gives the full travel range.

Andy
Ok thanks, so feature limited again, purely built in limits that make no sense for the user, so not sure what you mean by "working exactly as it should". All I need is more switches/knobs to handle gain and gimbal controls on the DX8 but to get it I have to buy a DX18 it would seem. What is the logic for limiting this beyond the maketing/sales one? Why not allow it to have full travel if that is what the user wants? Then again that would mean the levers on the DX18 would be less of an upsell I suppose.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:48 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,984 Posts
Quote:
What is the logic for limiting this beyond the maketing/sales one? Why not allow it to have full travel if that is what the user wants?
The DX8 is the first in the series of AirWare products. As the AirWare concept has matured over the past four years, so have the capabilities (and the needs of the CPU, and therefore the base materials cost, and the test program costs, and the customer cost, and therefore fewer customers to carry the load, etc.).

It's not like somebody said, "Let's screw the users by limiting this feature." It was more like long after the DX8 was shipping that it was, "Hey, I can do this on the new radio, what do you think?" and it was added to the spec.

In case you haven't noticed, we've been pretty busy creating two new radios of late, and at some point it will likely be a matter of enabling some of those newer capabilities in the older one. We don't have a team of hundreds of programmers here, twiddling their thumbs waiting for new feature ideas to come in from a forum. We have a very small, tight-knit team that focuses keenly on making a product and sometimes we are able to work one of those ideas into the product/spec. I would LOVE to have a few more guys on the team - know any "driven" firmware guys who want to live in Champaign and have a passion for this stuff? There's a posting on the website they can apply for.

You're trying to do something that the radio was never intended to do, but might be able to some day. For now, all you can do it use the capability as best you can and hope that you'll still want the feature if/when it becomes available on that platform, or you'll have to change the radio to buy the level of features that you really wanted.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
Andy I appreciate the reply but my point is someone programmed this to only allow a certain percentage, for whatever reason it was. Would have been nice as they just said "hey lets allow these switches to be mapped with no travel limit". I bought a radio that I thought had mappable switches, not one that you can kinda sort map for a certain percentage, hence why I was surprised by the made up limit. it also like not being able to disable the inactivity alarm. Both items that have nothing to do with the CPU or memory but a design decision for some unknown purpose.

And being I work in software I can appreciate the fact you are overworked and undermanned, but the “send us your resume and you can help out” is a tired old excuse. If we told our client we can’t deliver with such an excuse we wouldn’t have clients. And the fact your working on two new radios doesn’t do a lot to help excising customers, its almost like pissing on them for buying a product that is no longer the focus, too bad so sad, buy the newer radio.

Maybe someday the firmware will change and this will be added along with some bug fixes, but to be honest I'm not holding my breath. It just becomes frustrating. DX8 has lots of potential but seems to still have issues and shortcomings in some areas.

I'll leave it as this, no point to beat the dead horse, at least now I know what I want to do isn't possible and I appreciate the clarification on that.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,077 Posts
It's not a made up limit, older radios with mechanical trim did not trim the entire travel limit.

Have you played with SPM? If not PM me for more info.

Will post a short video shortly that you and others may find interesting..
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Jul 14, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:17 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
It's not a made up limit, older radios with mechanical trim did not trim the entire travel limit.
And old radios didn't have switch selects mapping. Hope was a switch could become anything, not be locked to the mode of the label beside it.

Anyway I'll just live with it for now and keep researching the DX18 for now.

You already pmed me the SPM info. I can edit it as a workaround but be nice to just have the limit removed in the menus so it can be tweaked easier plus who's to say the next update doesn't lock these back door edits.
Site Sponsor