HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Get a helper to help you with range testing the model. Remove the prop for safety reason and have your helper move th stick around while you walk away from the transmitter holding the plane above your head and moving it around simulating flight and this way you are testing from different angles and orientation.

If you have solid link at around the manufacturer recommendation then you are good to go.
Not how Spektrum says to do the range check.

According to the Spektrum manual, they say to range test the model with the model on the ground: Page 13.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...800-Manual.pdf

Being that close to the range attenuates the range, in addition to the reduced power output created by the range test button on the TX, and helps to create the 30 pace measurement for a good range check.

Removing the prop is not a bad idea, especially if range checking solo. Or the helper could simply restrain the model on the ground safely, prop in place, while the guy with the TX does the walking.

My DX8 lost significant rangemafter I dropped it early on ......no visible damage, but it apparently dislodged the little shielded connection to the TX antenna. After a trip to Spektrum (repaired free of charge in spite of it being my fault), all range checks with any type of RX exceeded the 30 paces by a lot.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; May 28, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 03:45 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Andy, while we are speaking of range checks:

The RX height above ground during a range check varies wildly from model to model.

A Zagi type wing or parkflyer model without landing gear could have the RX about 2" off the ground when the model is on the ground, while a 40% aerobatic model could have the RX as much as a couple of feet above the ground.

What effect does this have on the range check procedure? Seems like the models with the RX well above the ground would routinely do better further than 30 paces, all else being equal.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
... (repaired free of charge in spite of it being my fault),....
free of charge in Canada still equals $$$$ in shipping and duty taxe along with brokerage fees.

If we can figure this out without having to send it in for nothing then thats a good thing.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
My DX8 lost significant rangemafter I dropped it early on ......no visible damage, but it apparently dislodged the little shielded connection to the TX antenna. After a trip to Spektrum (repaired free of charge in spite of it being my fault), all range checks with any type of RX exceeded the 30 paces by a lot.
Horizon customer service is second to NONE! I had a surface RX that a buddy plugged the battery into backwards (reversed polarity) and apparently fried it. I sent it to Horizon and told them how dumb my friend was and what happened. They sent me a brand new replacement! To this day I can't believe how great they were.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old May 28, 2012, 04:13 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,806 Posts
Quote:
What effect does this have on the range check procedure? Seems like the models with the RX well above the ground would routinely do better further than 30 paces, all else being equal.
I think you would do well to test range both to the failure point and see for yourself.

It's a go/no-go test.

If you can't get 30m (they will usually range test MUCH farther) then you have a problem with the radio. It's really looking for a hardware fault, one that is usually evident by 10-20m at reduced power.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 28, 2012, 04:15 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
free of charge in Canada still equals $$$$ in shipping and duty taxe along with brokerage fees.

If we can figure this out without having to send it in for nothing then thats a good thing.
I never confuse free of charge with free of expense...

I had to pay shipping one way, as well....still a bargain.

Andy might cringe when I say this, but it might be worth cracking the TX open and removing and reconnecting the tiny sheilded cable that goes from the TX antenna to the RF board. (I have not yet opened up the DX8 to see if this connector is the same as on previous DX radios, so this might not even work).

A flying buddy dropped his original DX6 years and lost most of the range...the TX antenna was not damaged, but it had dislodged the little connector from the TX antenna to the board..I opened up te TX and carefully reconnected it for him and all the range came back.

your mileage may vary.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I think you would do well to test range both to the failure point and see for yourself.

It's a go/no-go test.

If you can't get 30m (they will usually range test MUCH farther) then you have a problem with the radio. It's really looking for a hardware fault, one that is usually evident by 10-20m at reduced power.

Andy
I have witnessed that....seems like they either easily exceed the minimum, or fail like you said, at 10-20 paces.

After I dropped my DX8, it was failing range test at 8-20 paces.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,806 Posts
An un/poorly attached antenna will damage the amplifier in short order. It should be addressed by Service. It's not worth risking an aircraft and possible injury to save a few dollars on shipping.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,355 Posts
I have been in the hobby long enough to know that if it aint working as it should considering the price of the radio and what it's controlling. I trip to HH will be schedule for sure.

But just going to make sure PRIOR to sending it that indeed there is something wrong.
With multiple receivers and having 2 indentical radios we should be able to find who is at fault.

Going to meet up in the next hour so will find out soon enough what is going on. Andy I got you on Speed Email.
Old May 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
well I can buy from US.
I'm located in EU though and Cyprus in particular..

are there any risks ? I know that there are no services tht will test my radio here...
also my old dx6i is US regioned

ANDY???? should I wait for it to arrive in Europe or just pull the trigger?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Freechip came down and we tested the radio. Really awesome of him to just drive out here like that to help me out!

We put both planes on the ground, got my long tape measure and measured 30 meters. With both planes the reception was fine. On range test we walked out at least 60 meters before we got a loss of signal. Even farther. I'd say it was more like 70, and that was with large steel lumber sheds all around us.

I couldn't believe it. I did the same range test yesterday at the field and lost reception on BOTH planes at around 20 paces. Today it worked flawlessly. Freechip noticed the wire coming out of the rx was bending therefore not pointing out perpendicular to the satellite antenna, so I straightened that out, and also I have been using the tx with the antenna straight out, he told me I should bend it at the hinge.

As of now, the diagnosis is that the radio is fine. I really hope so, we just can't figure out why I got less than 30 paces yesterday and today it was fine. I'm hoping it really was the antenna pointing and the wire. Next time I go to the field I will do another range test. Who knows, maybe it was environmental, or just a big fluke, or just me?

In any case, I'm glad it's ok right now. Thanks again Freechip!
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old May 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
Freechip came down and we tested the radio. Really awesome of him to just drive out here like that to help me out!

We put both planes on the ground, got my long tape measure and measured 30 meters. With both planes the reception was fine. On range test we walked out at least 60 meters before we got a loss of signal. Even farther. I'd say it was more like 70, and that was with large steel lumber sheds all around us.

I couldn't believe it. I did the same range test yesterday at the field and lost reception on BOTH planes at around 20 paces. Today it worked flawlessly. Freechip noticed the wire coming out of the rx was bending therefore not pointing out perpendicular to the satellite antenna, so I straightened that out, and also I have been using the tx with the antenna straight out, he told me I should bend it at the hinge.

As of now, the diagnosis is that the radio is fine. I really hope so, we just can't figure out why I got less than 30 paces yesterday and today it was fine. I'm hoping it really was the antenna pointing and the wire. Next time I go to the field I will do another range test. Who knows, maybe it was environmental, or just a big fluke, or just me?

In any case, I'm glad it's ok right now. Thanks again Freechip!
A few comments:

1. Kawi - very glad to hear you have it sorted out and that it ws not a radio issue.

2. Freechip - kudos to you for helping out an RC brother.

3. Kawi - I suspect that your issues were due to the antenna postioning, primarily the TX antenna was probably pointed directly at the models when you were testing.

4. DX 8 (and Spektrum bashers) - boo hoo

Regards,

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old May 28, 2012, 09:40 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Way to go Freechip!!

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old May 28, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
233 Posts
Hey Freechip, I've got a small problem with my radio ...... is there any chance ....

Well done fellow RCG'er
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old May 29, 2012, 06:11 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 744drv View Post
Hey Freechip, I've got a small problem with my radio ...... is there any chance .... Well done fellow RCG'er
My limit is 45-60min drive, unless you move highly doubt it's going to happen..