HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 10:11 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
I learn something new every day, My boss can hardly wait for tomorrow.

Thanks Sir.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:13 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
just add two life batts :/
...one cannot simply plug in a spare battery in the Rx, can you?! I heard someone mention something about a extra thingy that is required for this.... (when using a Bec of ESC bec).
Can you elaborate?
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old May 01, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
...one cannot simply plug in a spare battery in the Rx, can you?! I heard someone mention something about a extra thingy that is required for this.... (when using a Bec of ESC bec).
Can you elaborate?
Spectrum PowerSafe Rx's have two Rx battery leads. Most receivers allow you to connect the Rx battery to any Servo port, as well as the Batt port. It is not uncommon for pilots to connect Redundant Rx batteries that way.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old May 01, 2012, 11:06 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
Spectrum PowerSafe Rx's have two Rx battery leads. Most receivers allow you to connect the Rx battery to any Servo port, as well as the Batt port. It is not uncommon for pilots to connect Redundant Rx batteries that way.
All that is great as long as you are only using batteries as your power source, what struggleforlife is asking about is mixing a battery with a BEC and that is when you have to take more care as not all are happy with another voltage source in the mix.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old May 01, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
All that is great as long as you are only using batteries as your power source, what struggleforlife is asking about is mixing a battery with a BEC and that is when you have to take more care as not all are happy with another voltage source in the mix.
That's a no no - ALL power inputs must have same voltages
FWIW eliminate any devices not absolutely necessary
for example - you may see a reg and a batt as a great way to go - however if you can utilize a battery which does the job without a reg in the circuit - you are one step closer to eliminating another potential failure point.
a few years back the LiIon and a reg and possibly a fan to cool the reg ,was a Kool setup-
with the advent of 2.4 and really power hogging servos - it's just a disaster waiting to happen
regulators -if you must have em - should be switching types which don't heat as did the linear types .
I was given a big ol power supply with heat sinks etc.. I was using it to supply a charger for some 5000 ma 5 cell packs . the thing shut down and was hot enough to fry eggs -even tho the charger was "only"doing 5 amps output and the power supply was rated at 10 continuous amps -at 13 volts.
The power supply is now doing duty for the little packs --
(the charger was suppling 5 amps at 20 volts which is 100 watts- my 15 amp switching type supply does the same job without a whimper.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Last edited by richard hanson; May 01, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 02:10 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
That's a no no - ALL power inputs must have same voltages
Good as a general rule, but for example, Kontronik recommend the use of a buffer pack with the BEC in their Jive ESC in some circumstances.

The buffer pack will not be at the same voltage as the BEC, but over time it will tend to move towards it.

Only use a buffer pack if the manufacturer of the BEC approves of that configuration though.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old May 01, 2012, 02:24 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,829 Posts
wow... the plot thickens....!
Yes. No. Maybe. Only if. etc.
I am not a engineer (obviously), so I am not able to make heads or tails of this.
I have a AR8000, a plush 80, seperate turnigy 5-7.5A sbec and a 4s 4000mah.
Can it be done?
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old May 01, 2012, 02:25 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
yeap
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
wow... the plot thickens....!
Yes. No. Maybe. Only if. etc.
I am not a engineer (obviously), so I am not able to make heads or tails of this.
I have a AR8000, a plush 80, seperate turnigy 5-7.5A sbec and a 4s 4000mah.
Can it be done?
The thing to watch for is the servo LOAD and motor voltage vs internal BEC voltage
The motor voltage vs the ESC output voltage is well within limits and that Turnigy should say " switching type ESC "
I run a 5 cell Lipo using ESC with internal BEC on my old Kadet Senior -servo load is hardly worth mentioning
I also have 80 amp ESC (running 38 volts) and tho the ESC/bec is rated for the use with servos I have - I will stick with a seperate power supply to the radio (A123 direct). much more durable setup.
ANY ESC worth using today ,which is over 30 amps, /3 cell-will have a switching BEC
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 02, 2012, 09:25 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
LiPo question WRT the DX8 transmitter. I finally received my LiPo pack, (removed the rubber floor so it fits nice now) and put it on a 30 minute charge. Removing the charge cord and powering up I noticed it read 7.6 volts. Next day I put it on charge when I got home, and an hour later the Lights on the Dx8 were still on. Are they supposed to go out once full charge is reached? Checking the voltage on power up, it started at 7.8v and bounced to 7.9v which I am guessing is normal. I just would like to see the lights go out on full charge.

What's everybody else see?

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old May 02, 2012, 09:28 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,455 Posts
The blue light stays on until the battery is fully charged. It takes a LONG time usually.
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 02, 2012, 09:31 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,833 Posts
@ Franco2fly
Quote:
When charging the optional SPMB4000LPTX, a full charge can take up to 30hrs depending on the initial charge state of the battery. When charging a LiPo, the blue light will turn off when the charge cycle is complete
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 02, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
LiPo question WRT the DX8 transmitter. I finally received my LiPo pack, (removed the rubber floor so it fits nice now) and put it on a 30 minute charge. Removing the charge cord and powering up I noticed it read 7.6 volts. Next day I put it on charge when I got home, and an hour later the Lights on the Dx8 were still on. Are they supposed to go out once full charge is reached? Checking the voltage on power up, it started at 7.8v and bounced to 7.9v which I am guessing is normal. I just would like to see the lights go out on full charge.

What's everybody else see?

KKKKFL
I charged my DX8 LiPo pack, the first time, just after I received it. I just charged it again, after using it for a couple of months. The Blue Light came on, on the front of the Tx, and went out when the charge was complete. It read 8.5v.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old May 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok I didn't want to post this.. but I am going to.. HH UK SUCK... they never answer emails unless Andy calls them.. they really suck.. Ive got my radio there asking them to send it via EMS but what the heck.. they won' t answer.. they weren't even answering when I wanted to send the radio in and Andy had to call them to get a reply on an email. I don't trust HH uk any more. I just hope to get my radio back and hope that I will never need them again
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 02, 2012, 10:17 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
ok I didn't want to post this.. but I am going to.. HH UK SUCK... they never answer emails unless Andy calls them.. they really suck.. Ive got my radio there asking them to send it via EMS but what the heck.. they won' t answer.. they weren't even answering when I wanted to send the radio in and Andy had to call them to get a reply on an email. I don't trust HH uk any more. I just hope to get my radio back and hope that I will never need them again
Seems to be a more common comment these days.

Here in the U.S., there are now scads of trustworthy, cheap sellers, so "we" do owe them, that!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift