SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
A really bad card, I suppose. I wish you could have sent it to me, I'd love to see exactly what happened so I can prevent it from recurring.

Andy
I might still have the one that was doing it to me. I can send it to you if I find it.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
AMA 42272, from the 1970's
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Oct 2007
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I wish you could have sent it to me, I'd love to see exactly what happened so I can prevent it from recurring.

Andy

PM sent.......
DXStickman is offline Find More Posts by DXStickman
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:53 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Flux capacitor?
Chronosynclastic infindibulum.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:52 PM
Glen
Nashville,TN
Joined Jan 2005
73 Posts
What are the shortcomings ,missing features, and any notable differences that apply to the dx10t versus the dx18? Thanks.
gjr. is offline Find More Posts by gjr.
Old May 01, 2012, 05:28 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,358 Posts
Battery question..................

Hooray, I finally received the Dx8 Lipo battery (not thrilled with the poor fit) so now I can return to my Plug-er-in-night before and not worry about cooking the NiMh pack. So, now I have this 4.8v Enloop pack that wasn't cheap, and the question becomes will it work as a flight pack for one of my Nitro planes?

How will this pack compare to the NiCads that I have been using? I suppose I can do some bench testing and see what the volt meter tells me, but I would sure like to here from an EE with a minor in Battery.

Thanks.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old May 01, 2012, 05:41 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
...I finally received the Dx8 Lipo battery (not thrilled with the poor fit) ... Thanks. KKKKFL
Did you remove the bottom pad?

Did you replace the U shape NiMh side pad with the L shape Lipo pad?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 01, 2012, 05:45 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
I finally received the Dx8 Lipo battery (not thrilled with the poor fit)
I mention this only because you wouldn't be the first person to miss it, but you do have to remove the foam at the back of the battery compartment, not just the 'U' shaped piece around the NiMH pack and then use the smaller 'L' shaped piece that shipped in the box with your radio.

Once you do that it is quite a neat and solid fit in the compartment.

Quote:
...so now I can return to my Plug-er-in-night before and not worry about cooking the NiMh pack.
Perfectly safe to do that now from an 'overcharging' perspective, but do get in the habit of only doing it when the battery is getting low as the best way to ruin your new Lipo is to keep it fully charged all the time.

Quote:
So, now I have this 4.8v Enloop pack that wasn't cheap, and the question becomes will it work as a flight pack for one of my Nitro planes?
It depends a lot of what you need to power in the plane as while Eneloop cells are great for holding a charge long term in low current discharge devices, I would not use them as an rx pack if your servos are capable of a significant current demand.

I don't particularly like AA sized cells in general as an rx pack for anything other than a very light load and if they have to be AA then I'd prefer a 5 cell pack with Spektrum to stay well clear of the brownout voltage level.

Personally I'd use the pack on the bench for set-up duty as the long term charge holding is great for that sort of use.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old May 01, 2012, 06:24 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Battery question..................

Hooray, I finally received the Dx8 Lipo battery (not thrilled with the poor fit) so now I can return to my Plug-er-in-night before and not worry about cooking the NiMh pack. So, now I have this 4.8v Enloop pack that wasn't cheap, and the question becomes will it work as a flight pack for one of my Nitro planes?

How will this pack compare to the NiCads that I have been using? I suppose I can do some bench testing and see what the volt meter tells me, but I would sure like to here from an EE with a minor in Battery.

Thanks.

KKKKFL
Though the DX8 with AR8000 proved to be much more tollerant to low voltage drop (had mine dropped at 3.7v) I wouldn't take the risk.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 01, 2012, 06:32 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,815 Posts
Speaking of which, does any of you have any experience with:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16223

Dave
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old May 01, 2012, 06:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Speaking of which, does any of you have any experience with:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16223

Dave
I would think it would work fine. It's just a capacitor, but it should help prevent short bursts of low voltage.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old May 01, 2012, 06:56 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,358 Posts
L shaped foam

Thanks for those thoughtful tips. I'll have to look in the DX8 box to see if the Lipo inserts are still there. I didn't see any additional foam on the battery, but I'll have to take a closer look. Since I could not get the door to close with the U shaped NiMh battery foam, I just left it out.

What Transmitter voltage should I see with a fully charged pack? I just dropped the pack in and it was reading 7.4volts. I didn't really charge it last nite, just changed the Systems settings to LiPo from NiMh.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old May 01, 2012, 07:04 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,954 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for those thoughtful tips. I'll have to look in the DX8 box to see if the Lipo inserts are still there. I didn't see any additional foam on the battery, but I'll have to take a closer look. Since I could not get the door to close with the U shaped NiMh battery foam, I just left it out.

What Transmitter voltage should I see with a fully charged pack? I just dropped the pack in and it was reading 7.4volts. I didn't really charge it last nite, just changed the Systems settings to LiPo from NiMh.

KKKKFL
Go to youtube and search for the HH video on this! The "floor" of the compartment is a solid piece of foam, which should also be removed when using the lipo, though it exposes an opening to the circuit board! The video shows use of an exacto knife to lift it, but I used something like a small, slotted screwdriver.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:13 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I got those capacitors but never used one till now..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 01, 2012, 07:17 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,815 Posts
: ) I just put one in a few days ago. Thought maybe one of you had some hands one (testing) experience as to how effective this thingy is.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old May 01, 2012, 07:17 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I got those capacitors but never used one till now..
Uh, where'd you wind up?