HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
jobog
USA, IN, South Bend
Joined Jan 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
It is the short wavelengths that I am concerned with. I understand radio waves are all around us, it is the recent "Flood" of "Wifi" I dont trust.

VP

Taken from Wiki:

Health issues

Further information: Wireless electronic devices and health

A small percentage of Wi-Fi users have reported adverse health issues after repeat exposure and use of Wi-Fi,[58] though there has been no publication of any effects being observable in double-blind studies. A review of studies involving 725 people that claimed electromagnetic hypersensitivity found no evidence for their claims.[59] The ubiquity of Wi-Fi has led to calls for more research into the effects of "electronic smog".[60]

One study speculated that "laptops (Wi-Fi mode) on the lap near the testicles may result in decreased male fertility".[61] Another study found decreased working memory among males during Wi-Fi exposure.[62]

The World Health Organization (WHO) says "there is no risk from low level, long-term exposure to wi-fi networks" and the United Kingdom's Health Protection Agency reports that exposure to Wi-Fi for a year results in "same amount of radiation from a 20-minute mobile phone call." [63][64]

In November 2010 research results were published by Wageningen University and Research Centre, the Netherlands, which indicates that electromagnetic radiation may play a role in a deterioration in the health of trees. In a laboratory setting it appeared that portions of leaves of Ash saplings, after having been exposed for over three months to a radiation source similar to a wifi-access point, withered and died. The authors of the report noted however that further long-term tests were necessary. [65
OMG I must live in a very intense wi-fi area. The leaves on all the trees in my yard wither and die every October. Just kidding.
jobog is offline Find More Posts by jobog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Works for me
My thought was that he was referring to the receiver antenna wires in this case, though I do believe I've heard of some folks using heat shrink tubing to fix a broken knuckle joint on the transmitter.
Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
Hmm, yeah he probably IS talking about the receiver antennae, Since he's referring to reception range... I thought it had something to do with a broken knuckle (like the movable joint) of the antenna as well...my bad...
Yes - I was referring to the RX antennas.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:06 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Thank you!

Does the robart line push on and stay on?

JC
Yes it pushes onto the shoulder on the case as stays secure.It can also be removed without putting any strain on the antenna itself.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Yes it pushes onto the shoulder on the case as stays secure.It can also be removed without putting any strain on the antenna itself.
That's good to know - thank you!

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Throttle hold for airplane?

Hi,
Appologies if this is not the right place to post this. I have recently got a Dx8, so far great!, I have also decided to get a plane to fool arround with. (Have been flying helli for some time now). So one of the first things I try and program is the throttle hold. Neither my Dx6i, or Dx8 seem to have this function readilly available. Do planes not use this feature? I could assign throttle kill to a few switches on the Dx8, but not the hold switch. Can I only get hold through using mixes? Please advise if I am being overly silly trying to use throttle hold on a plane, but is quite important to me on the helli!
Thanks
Peet
Sound Reflection is offline Find More Posts by Sound Reflection
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:05 AM
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
193 Posts
You can do this with the throttle curve function with all zero values.
ecenshu is online now Find More Posts by ecenshu
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:56 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Tin foil hat?
Sorry I couldnt resist.
I do have a "Faraday Cage" around my recording studio. I have 3' wide Aluminum flashing in the walls and roof and grounded to 8' rods around the building. Since I have done this satellite noise is gone and cell phone calls from wives are reduced.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:13 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
6,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I do have a "Faraday Cage" around my recording studio. I have 3' wide Aluminum flashing in the walls and roof and grounded to 8' rods around the building. Since I have done this satellite noise is gone and cell phone calls from wives are reduced.

VP
Yes, I tried this, but the voices remain.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:34 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenshu View Post
You can do this with the throttle curve function with all zero values.
Did this too. Works like a charm!
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:13 AM
Citizen# 145
United States, MA
Joined Sep 2011
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Reflection View Post
Hi,
Appologies if this is not the right place to post this. I have recently got a Dx8, so far great!, I have also decided to get a plane to fool arround with. (Have been flying helli for some time now). So one of the first things I try and program is the throttle hold. Neither my Dx6i, or Dx8 seem to have this function readilly available. Do planes not use this feature? I could assign throttle kill to a few switches on the Dx8, but not the hold switch. Can I only get hold through using mixes? Please advise if I am being overly silly trying to use throttle hold on a plane, but is quite important to me on the helli!
Thanks
Peet
How would throttle hold for a plane be beneficial? I always thought it was used on helis because the left stick also controls the pitch of the blades? I'm pretty new to the hobby so this is an honest question, and I'm interested in learning more about this.
{}{steve}{} is offline Find More Posts by {}{steve}{}
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:22 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcnally View Post
How would throttle hold for a plane be beneficial? I always thought it was used on helis because the left stick also controls the pitch of the blades? I'm pretty new to the hobby so this is an honest question, and I'm interested in learning more about this.
Throttle hold on a plane is useful for 2 reasons:
1) It can be used as a safety switch to prevent power up if you accidentally bump the throttle while on the ground. I did this once with my Stryker and fried the ESC.
2) When flying 3D with a foamy. You can hover the plane in close and catch it, then hit the throttle hold to stop the prop.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:27 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,492 Posts
Check into Throttle Cut. You can set the RPM anywhere you want it.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:37 AM
Citizen# 145
United States, MA
Joined Sep 2011
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Throttle hold on a plane is useful for 2 reasons:
1) It can be used as a safety switch to prevent power up if you accidentally bump the throttle while on the ground. I did this once with my Stryker and fried the ESC.
2) When flying 3D with a foamy. You can hover the plane in close and catch it, then hit the throttle hold to stop the prop.
Isn't that what the throttle cut switch setting is for?
{}{steve}{} is offline Find More Posts by {}{steve}{}
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Check into Throttle Cut. You can set the RPM anywhere you want it.

Andy
My problem there is it is not the hold switch, I am still a bit new to this, but trying to have as much overlap of controlls as I can. The Dx6i has a momentary cut switch, not much use on electrics.
I see this as a safety feature, I have a few times started the prop whilst setting up, either finger problem during rudder, occasionally got the wrong stick whilst working on a controll surface, reaching for the Tx without looking at it.
It is more a convenience feature for me than a problem, it helps me to know the throttle is locked out.

Peet
Sound Reflection is offline Find More Posts by Sound Reflection
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,561 Posts
I just use the old mix method that I used for years on my DX7. ie:

Programmable mix rates: -100, -100, -100 offset and assign it to the Throttle hold switch so my planes and helis act the same way. I put this into the template file on my SD card that I use as a basis for all my planes, so it's always there from the start.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.