HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
I wasn't trying to convince you of anything, I was just making conversation. You can believe in whatever you want.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcnally View Post
I wasn't trying to convince you of anything, I was just making conversation. You can believe in whatever you want.
I just like to be cautious. (and safe)

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:42 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,926 Posts
Hey Andy,

Here's something I am pondering...

I see people who add heat shrink tubing to their antennas to hold them straight and in place.

Since heat shrink is an insulation with some dielectric strength, does it have a negative impact on reception?

Thanks,

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,041 Posts
So far it hasn't affected mine any. What about all the polymers in foam?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:41 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I just like to be cautious. (and safe)

VP
Tin foil hat?
Sorry I couldnt resist.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Hey Andy,

Here's something I am pondering...

I see people who add heat shrink tubing to their antennas to hold them straight and in place.

Since heat shrink is an insulation with some dielectric strength, does it have a negative impact on reception?

Thanks,

JC
I have heat shrink on some of mine still.Did a bit of testing with and without.
No difference whatsoever in Flightlog data so Id say its RF transparent.I was always afraid to put enough heat on it to make is stay on well enough and had a few fall off over time.I now mostly prefer Robart air line.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:36 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
What AirWare version are you using? 2.04 is the most current version.

This was implemented in 2.03, you maybe still running on 2.02 or earlier.
I havent a clue.......not looked into any updates for the tx. Kinda forgot that was even a possibility.

Now.....how do i do it?
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
I have heat shrink on some of mine still.Did a bit of testing with and without.
No difference whatsoever in Flightlog data so Id say its RF transparent.I was always afraid to put enough heat on it to make is stay on well enough and had a few fall off over time.I now mostly prefer Robart air line.
Thank you!

Does the robart line push on and stay on?

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:08 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The range is not a huge decrease, even though the power is only half. That's because power is related to the cube of the distance - think of it as the volume of space filled with signal. The range is still way farther than you can see a model.

Andy
Actually, radio signals are attenuated with the square of the distance (i.e. doubling the range requires 4x the power). Think of it as the surface of an expanding sphere (the signal does not "fill" the sphere").
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:09 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
I havent a clue.......not looked into any updates for the tx. Kinda forgot that was even a possibility.

Now.....how do i do it?
The version number is displayed on the third page of the system settings.

Hold down the scroll wheel while turning on the radio and scroll down to "system settings".

Ooops... I just thought the poster wanted to know how to check their current firmware version. What freechip said below.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Last edited by grumpy42; Apr 25, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post

Now.....how do i do it?
go here https://community.spektrumrc.com/ and register your radio. Then download update onto SD card and update radio. Then you will be able to adjust the rx bar graph.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
...I see people who add heat shrink tubing to their antennas to hold them straight and in place....
That makes no sense to me, I thought that due to the radiation pattern of the antenna you don't want to be "pointing" it to the receiver, (cause out of the top of the antenna is where the least signal strength is coming from) but with a straight antenna that's just what you are doing... (that is if your body is following the movement of the plane.) (unless like some of the "youthful" guys who seem to have made a silent agreement to hold the TX vertical against the body with the antenna pointing straight down... )

So what's the verdict on that then? (the way I point my antennas is 90 degrees to the side how's that?
MartinT is online now Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,101 Posts
What ever way works for you as long as you are not pointing directly at the model.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:26 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
That makes no sense to me, I thought that due to the radiation pattern of the antenna you don't want to be "pointing" it to the receiver, (cause out of the top of the antenna is where the least signal strength is coming from) but with a straight antenna that's just what you are doing... (that is if your body is following the movement of the plane.) (unless like some of the "youthful" guys who seem to have made a silent agreement to hold the TX vertical against the body with the antenna pointing straight down... )

So what's the verdict on that then? (the way I point my antennas is 90 degrees to the side how's that?
Works for me
My thought was that he was referring to the receiver antenna wires in this case, though I do believe I've heard of some folks using heat shrink tubing to fix a broken knuckle joint on the transmitter.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Works for me
My thought was that he was referring to the receiver antenna wires in this case, though I do believe I've heard of some folks using heat shrink tubing to fix a broken knuckle joint on the transmitter.
Pete
Hmm, yeah he probably IS talking about the receiver antennae, Since he's referring to reception range... I thought it had something to do with a broken knuckle (like the movable joint) of the antenna as well...my bad...
MartinT is online now Find More Posts by MartinT