HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:42 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Even so, I sure would like to get a report from Spektrum about what caused it.
I agree...Spektrum should ask for that particular unit and take it apart and find out exactly what is causing this to occur.

There are relatively few units currently out there in the field, and for this type of potentially catastrophic problem to happen this soon after product launch is very unnerving.

Spektrum needs to investigate this problem immediately..of all the bugs seen so far, this one has the greatest potential for serious harm and liability...for the specific reason that it might not happen to every unit. But if it does..

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,496 Posts
Completly agree and we are left in the hand of the owner to send it in for service. Nothing we can do about it.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:13 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Completly agree and we are left in the hand of the owner to send it in for service. Nothing we can do about it.
I think more than likely it is in the mail on the way back to Spektrum. Who is going to fly with a TX that does that.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Bottom line is, if there's one that will do it there are more. Maybe not all, but certainly more than one. And thats enough.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:05 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Since the problem only manifested itself when the transmitter was vibrating its likely a faulty component, bad connection, soldering joint or similar.
Sounds like a HW problem affecting the SW to me.
Wonder if he opened the radio to examine it? Just to see if it was a loose connector or something similar.
There are quite a few units already in circulation, if this was a systematic problem many would have reported it by now. But we only have this single case.
Im not worried and what if the box was dropped during shipment?
There are 1000 possible things that could have affected this single unit and caused it to malfunction.
The guy who started the thread wrote that the owner was sending the Tx to HH/Spek ASAP.
So if there is anything to worry about we will soon know!

//Patrick
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:07 PM
Sundsvall
Joined May 2009
69 Posts
I flew my Extra 330 with the DX8 today and it was great. Only got one flight in as my hands turned into ice cubes in the cold evening (5'C).

Not sure if it's been mentioned here before but there is a neat "hidden" switch diagnostic screen available if you hold down clear and back when you turn the TX on.

I can't see this screen mentioned anywhere in the manual at least.

Wonder what other "hidden" goodies Spectrum has in there
SEALen is offline Find More Posts by SEALen
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:12 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Is it only me that thinks this radio has an incredibly low power consumtion!?
I charged mine to 6V.
Had it on for about 17,5hrs and still showing 4,8V!!
Wow!
If you get 20hrs reliable on a single overninght charge, who will ever need the LiPo??
(For me thats about 80 flights between charges)

//Patrick
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:14 PM
Deutschland, Bayern, München
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
I would like adjustable Mode (1-4) settings on each memory place. I'm flying Mode 2 with Helis and Mode 4 on fixed wings. Tonight i wanted to get my Blade Msr working but failed programming it... (okay it's late here)
tachy kard is offline Find More Posts by tachy kard
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:19 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Like UBER KEWL! Just upgraded 2 DX8's with NO problems!

WOW super easy and very nice that the radio does this so fast and consistant. Also a nice feature to be able to export and import single models or all. That is a well thoughtout feature too!

Excellant job Spektrum Dev Team!

Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:23 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Just remember that not every one in RC is on these forums, and wont be here to report what they find and experience. Believe it or not, there are a signifigant number of flyers out there who have never even heard of RCG. In fact a great deal of members at our club never have. I'll mention something about RCG and they reply, "Huh?"

So what shows up here is really a very small cross section of the RC world.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:43 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk View Post
Jnever even heard of RCG. In fact a great deal of members at our club never have. I'll mention something about RCG and they reply, "Huh?"
Well sure, there's runryder, helifreak, rc universe flying giants, wattflyer etc. I've met very few people who don't browse at least 1 and any problem report gets copied around and around wherever it's discovered. Things probably do look more troublesome than they really are since a lot of people come to forums only when stuff goes wrong, but other than that, I think they're a good cross section.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:32 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAC_Sweden View Post
Is it only me that thinks this radio has an incredibly low power consumtion!?
I charged mine to 6V.
Had it on for about 17,5hrs and still showing 4,8V!!
Wow!
If you get 20hrs reliable on a single overninght charge, who will ever need the LiPo??
(For me thats about 80 flights between charges)

//Patrick
Heh, I setup 4.5 helis, flew a large quantity of packs, and I'm on 4.8v also on the the initial charge . My old radio would battery warning by now I think (its been on for hours). Is it a new battery, or efficiency? Hmmm
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:29 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
Excellant job Spektrum Dev Team!

A lot of the team is watching this thread (and lots of others) even if not participating much on this one. I think I can speak for all when I say, "Thank you for the kudos," and, "Thank you for having faith in Horizon as evidenced by your purchase."

And I know there's a "thank you" from you behind your comments, so I must also say, "You are most welcome."

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:38 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,261 Posts
Andy, a lot of folks will be lurking on this thread just like your guys and watching with interest.

Can I say (from other experiences) that you might get a lot of flack from people who just love to find fault/disagree with anything/think all suppliers are crooks/have their own view on everything/are just weird but many of us DO appreciate that some suppliers hang in there and do their best to give informed, plain and most importantly informed answers to legitimate questions. NipponDave, Junsi and Howard from FMA are just three others I am personally interested in who have my respect for this. I am sure there are many others. Don't get discouraged! We really value your time and honesty.

I'll value it even more when my bloody DX8 arrives.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
A lot of the team is watching this thread (and lots of others) even if not participating much on this one. I think I can speak for all when I say, "Thank you for the kudos," and, "Thank you for having faith in Horizon as evidenced by your purchase."

And I know there's a "thank you" from you behind your comments, so I must also say, "You are most welcome."

Andy
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:02 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Yes also would like to echo that statement, thank you Andy and the rest of the Spektrum Dev Team! On a great TX!

I have been flying on and off for much of my life I'm 38 now. During that time I have had a number of TX's starting off with a 2ch Mcgregor, Acoms then mainly been using Futaba with a one time JR thrown in to the mix. (wasn't for me) Plus got several no name Tx's with cheap models and a few Walkera... Can never have enough TX's!!

And I've got to say this is the best transmitter by a long shot, what has made this even a better experience for me has been your help in answering a few of my questions. You have been fast and spot on so thank you and great service even tho I'm across the pond from you. I've still got to check the retracts but I'm positive your right there too...

After my initial glitch that I mentioned a few post's back which I'm pretty sure was not down to my TX, I did panic a little as it was around the same time as that guy had the problem with his DX8. I have been using this and setting models up for a little over a week and it has been a pleasurable experience and not a chore as I thought it was gonna be.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk