HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,463 Posts
I am impressed with Spektrums lightning fast response on the upgrades!

I really wish that I were not 4000 miles away from my DX8, on a trip....
Will be back in Texas early Thursday morning. Plan on immediately downloading the updates and getting a flight or two in before heading to BEST on Friday morning.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:39 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,477 Posts
Hope I get a T shirt with mine .
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:19 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Just updated mine to ver. 1.02 - it took longer to register than it did to do the update.

If old updates are left on the SD card, will the transmitter always recognize the latest version? (As fast as these updates are coming out, I may forget to delete the old ones. ) And, after upgrading, will previous model programming require adjustment, since some upgrades modify operation?
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:02 AM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I had the same thought about the clear button and accidentally hitting it without realizing it. That would reset your timer at a bad time!
VP
Agreed, the simple solution would be to ad a function which resets the timer only if the clear button is pressed for 3 sek.
Then any accidental pressing when flying would be eliminated.

//Patrick
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:44 AM
Still flying a desk..
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Sep 2001
1,700 Posts
That's not fair! - How come you got a t-shirt as well??
Come on Als hobbies - you can do better than that - LOL
ChilternFlyer is online now Find More Posts by ChilternFlyer
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:44 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Set mode to "Throttle Out" then set the throttle value to where you want it. I use 25% because that's about where my planes need to be to taxi out to the runway (I don't want that time to count toward my flight).

For a heli, you would just use the same thing. Make sure that the Hold Mode Throttle Curve drops power to below 25% (0% would be right for an electric) and you're in business.

It's based on the position of the throttle servo, not the throttle/pitch stick.

Andy
Thanks. I went through that timer option again and after playing with the trip % again...it worked on the throttle hold switch.

Some notes: Initially I tried this at 0% and the timer ran with the throttle hold either on or off. After playing with the % some more, I found that the timer stop/start worked as desired at 4% or above. Below 4% it would just run with the switch in either position. I have the throttle travel at 108% on the low end however (throwback to DX6i/Castle Creations esc setup), so this may have been why it didnt work before at 0%. I'm not sure though. But for those who ran though it like I did the first time...it will work, just try a higher %
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:45 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I got me a T-shirt too. But.. It's black and HOT..

Once you update.. Delete the update on the SD card... It will try to update again.. Then guess it sees it's already updated.. then it will boot..
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:03 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
If old updates are left on the SD card, will the transmitter always recognize the latest version? (As fast as these updates are coming out, I may forget to delete the old ones. ) And, after upgrading, will previous model programming require adjustment, since some upgrades modify operation?
The DX8 will only auto-install a file named SPMTX.SAX. You can only have one file of that name (which is the name given when you click on DOWNLOAD) - Windows enforces that for you. If you wish to have multiple versions on your card, you can give them each a different name (long file names are supported). If you go into SD Transfer menu, the last option on the list is to update the code. This allows you to select while SAX file to install.

As for models requiring adjustment, the answer is no (at least with this update). The changes these updates make affect the user interface more than anything else. You should always verify that your model still "works" on the ground before attempting to fly it - the monitor screen will help you there, but there's no substitute for checking the control surface response during your regular preflight.

We do recommend that you always Export All Models before upgrading. This is just common sense, such as making a complete backup before upgrading your PC's version of Windows or Linux. If we ever make an update that would intentionally erase your existing models, for instance, we will make that very plain on the download instructions (the readme file).

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:25 AM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
WOW - nice that the updates came out so fast! GREAT SERVICE!

BTW, I've 2 buds visiting me tonight at my house to do their updates to their 8's. SO simple question, do you need to perform the 1.01 first then do 1.02? So each upgrade is independent? Or by doing 1.02 you capture both upgrades at the same time?

Sorry - I've not logged into the site yet so I can't see the info via TX registration and serial numbers. Just trying to get a jump on tonights bench work.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
GMRO
GMRO is online now Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:39 AM
Heli & Warbird Fan
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Jun 2009
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
Or by doing 1.02 you capture both upgrades at the same time?
Yes, 1.02 is downward compatible.
-=RAGE=- is online now Find More Posts by -=RAGE=-
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:10 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,326 Posts
GMRO,

By installing 1.02, you get all the updates that were in 1.01. You only need to download the latest to have everything.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:11 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
What about the bug Raydee reported? That is the one that worries me the most.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1435
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:22 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,194 Posts
I dont think its a bug but more a manufacturing defect ON HIS unit as HE COULD NOT reproduce it on other DX8. Something about the vibrations could be shaking something lose on a connection or something.

Himself said it only does it on that UNIT.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:27 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I dont think its a bug but more a manufacturing defect ON HIS unit as HE COULD NOT reproduce it on other DX8. Something about the vibrations could be shaking something lose on a connection or something.

Himself said it only does it on that UNIT.
Even so, I sure would like to get a report from Spektrum about what caused it.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:34 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,194 Posts
If its one unit your not going to get a report unless the owner of the unit sends or posts a copy of it.

I never got reports when DX6i owner sent their units for service. But when it was the POT recall then we did.

IF the vibration issues turns out to be one radio related WE WONT HEAR ABOUT IT.

Just setup a blank heli model and set the timer to vibrate and check the servo monitor screen to see what happens.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip