HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:21 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Any idea why rx voltage drop doesn't trip a warning on telemetry? I have my warning set to 4.8 on a 6v bec.

It dropped to 4.0 on my ar8000 and I never got a warning. I just saw it in the high and low menu.
Rx and Flightpack voltage warning/alarm will only be active while the voltage is actually below the threshold you have set.If it dips below for a short time the alarm may only sound(or vibe) for a split second if thats how long it is below your set level.
Not to sound dumb but in addition to setting the value for the alarm you also have to assign tone,vibe or tone/vibe to it or there will be no sound or vibe when the level is reached.I set my Flightpack alarm on vibe,Hold to Tone and Rx voltage to Tone&Vibe.That makes the most sense to me and I dont miss anything even if its momentary.
Are you sure the min value was reached during flight? Sometimes you can get erroneous values displayed at startup/connection.To be sure your min/max values are actually from during the flight hit the clear button and reset the values once you have powered up and are ready to fly.This is especially true of rpm values(if used).It may easily display a invalid value when you first start the motor.
I have gotten in the habit of being on the stats(min/max) page and hitting Clear once I am powered up and have the motor started.

As we move forward with all of this Ill bet Andy will keep striving to make the operation as seamless as possible.Im happy with how it works and it just keeps getting better.

If you are still getting a Min Rx voltage displayed that low I would tend to trust it and look into it further.BECs can do funny things that you may not assume are possible.Ive found that the Rx voltage data is pretty reliable.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:32 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
When I bought my DX8, a couple of months ago, I sent for the Hobby King Turnigy 4a LiPo Tx battery. I charged it fully, one time, and it still reads 8.3v today.

I thought it charged to 8.6v on the Tx display, but I will have to wait until I need to charge it again. I have been out flying a couple of times per week since the middle of March.
I have one of each.A Turnigy LiPo and an OEM LiPo.They charge to 8.4 when full.I found in a short amount of time the Turnigy doesnt quite do that anymore.It only charges to 8.2-8.3.After less than 6 months its already obviously losing capacity.I suspect the balancing circuit in the pack isnt real solid.My OEM pack is wonderful.It always charges to 8.4 and it lasts a looooong time.I kind of figure it will run the radio for like 30 hrs or thereabouts.
I was going to hack the Turnigy pack and put a balance lead on it and check it and then maybe just charge it on a regular charger after I remove the offending circuit.That kind of defeats the whole purpose though.For a few more bucks Ill probably toss it and get another OEM pack.I like to tinker but my tinker time is limited.I can think of better things to tinker with than screwing with the Tx pack.Thats just me.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:14 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
For a few more bucks Ill probably toss it and get another OEM pack....
If it was only a 'few bucks' I don't imagine people would bother buying them in the first place, but at $17 vs $70 I can imagine we are going to hear a lot more about them for some time to come ...
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:41 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
I swapped out the receiver in one of my planes for the ar8000, i was going to save it for a new plane but I can't wait. 2 questions:

1) when i shut down the dx8, the prop starts spinning on my plane, at a very low idle. I turn on the dx8 and the prop stops(throttle on tx is all the way down). I turn it on and it starts spinning again. I have to remove the battery to make it stop. Why?

2) regarding the telemetry, is there a better way to get a flight pack voltage reading other than sticking the bare wire leads inbetween the battery connectors? Is there not some kind of a interceptor plug or something or a way thats a bit more.....reassuring?
I made my own vewsion: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-ec3-SPMA9556

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:25 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
I kinda do the same thing soldering the leads onto the Anderson connector that comes off the ESC. If you have the high priced crip tool just stick the appropriate wire in with the ESC leads.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:07 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
If it was only a 'few bucks' I don't imagine people would bother buying them in the first place, but at $17 vs $70 I can imagine we are going to hear a lot more about them for some time to come ...
Or, (inverse conspiracy theory) it's a market driven thing, and the price of the OEM will be coming down very soon.

"We" can thank Hongy Kongy for providing a countervailing force of some kind, though I wouldn't buy from "them."
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Or, (inverse conspiracy theory) it's a market driven thing, and the price of the OEM will be coming down very soon.

"We" can thank Hongy Kongy for providing a countervailing force of some kind, though I wouldn't buy from "them."

You do, when buying the stock Spek pack. It would not surprise me if they were made by the same factory just rebranded.

Badge engineering as it is known.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,142 Posts
I have been using Turnigy and Zippy LiPo batteries from Hobby King, for my RC electric aircraft, since they first became available. So have many of my fellow club members. I have some 5S 5000 packs I have been using for the past two years and they are holding up well. I have big birds that use 50v 12S packs with motors that draw 140a at 6500 watts.

I see no reason to pay the large Markup price charged by some other Lithium battery manufacturers.
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,171 Posts
Wow, Nellie, when did this thread become about lipo batteries?

I prefer GensAce, but that has nothing to do with "the price of tea, in China."

The conspiracy quickens!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,876 Posts
Quote:
I have been using Turnigy and Zippy LiPo batteries from Hobby King, for my RC electric aircraft, since they first became available. So have many of my fellow club members. I have some 5S 5000 packs I have been using for the past two years and they are holding up well. I have big birds that use 50v 12S packs with motors that draw 140a at 6500 watts.

I see no reason to pay the large Markup price charged by some other Lithium battery manufacturers.
You are not alone in this evaluation- I am setting up power for my 2m Dalotel and will use a Hacker 60, a new EFlite ESC and likely two, Zippy or the heavier Nano Turnigy- in 5000 ma 5 cell.. Best estimates are all up it will weigh under 11lbs (1150 squres)
I will have to see which fits my flying style the best.
My Bucker is the next candidate for electric power
It weighed 16 lbs when RTF in the TOC back in 1990. (1800 squares)
I have not yet decided which setup will work the best but a big Turnigy (50)and similar batt packs look like a possible setup.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,834 Posts
Quote:
... I see no reason to pay the large Markup price charged by some other Lithium battery manufacturers.
Here's one.. Then see how much the price difference is reduce when you send it back and pay to get another one.

I don't see what the big fuss is about, if people have no problems paying 60-70$ for OEM but others do they have every right to go buy and use what they want. But if something happens then the manufacturer shouldn't have to pay for your decision to use something else other than the recommended pack.

Having the choice only benefits the end user.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,171 Posts
I'll huff and I'll puff....Please send photo of lipo and mother's note, then your claim may be considered a year from now after the New Year and ....
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:04 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Here's one.. Then see how much the price difference is reduce when you send it back and pay to get another one.

I don't see what the big fuss is about, if people have no problems paying 60-70$ for OEM but others do they have every right to go buy and use what they want. But if something happens then the manufacturer shouldn't have to pay for your decision to use something else other than the recommended pack.

Having the choice only benefits the end user.
Some seem to be implying the Spektrum lipo may be better quality. Based on the quality issues with the DX8 I cannot assume this is the case.

Were some comments on the lack of quality in the DX8 by John Redmond on the last RC Today podcast. Was interesting to hear about the poor choice of connecotrs on the gimbals and how the recalls delayed the DX7s and DX18.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,142 Posts
Modelers have been using 3rd party Tx batteries for years. I have 3cell LiPo Tx batteries in both my 9303's. I would not blame the manufacturer if my Tx batteries damaged the Tx. I don't see a compelling reason to pay the extra money for the OEM battery. If the only downside to the Turnigy battery is a shorter life, I will throw it away and buy a new one when necessary. It is still more cost effective to do that.

Regarding the DX8, it is a fine radio and I plan to buy the DX18.
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:19 AM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Should meter and telemetry battery readings be the same?

I'm new to telemetry and this thread so I apologize if the answers I'm seeking are already buried somewhere in this thread.
Bound my TM1000 and DX8, installed a battery voltage lead as per the TM 1000 manual (actually made an EC3 extension and soldered the battery voltage lead into that).
1. Battery voltage on my meter is 12.5 (4.18 on each of three cells) Battery voltage according to telemetry is 12.3.
Is this a significant difference?
2. I haven't flown the model yet...after binding the TM 1000 and DX8 do I need to re-bind?
Thanks for any advice.
BIll
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock