HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Diesel nozel does not fit in gasoline here in Canada. At least on recent cars.
Diesel nozzles do not fit gasoline cars here in Ma. either. When my buddy opened his convenience store with gas pumps he explained it to me and showed me.

And you could be right Freechip, it maybe just late model cars.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,984 Posts
That rules out going to Canada
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
That rules out going to Canada
Or Ma.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:56 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Now why would I do that? I'm in my shop every day to check things out and tinker anyways. 12-15 hours is plenty of time, with no ill effects and I charge every time I fly. No babysitting necessary.

Remember it's only an 80 mA trickle.
I can't imagine why you would do anything, but folks do it: you either missed or evaded the point. Even the non-charger incorporated designs can be made to fail by misuse.

But, you knew that....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:09 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Diesel nozzles do not fit gasoline cars here in Ma. either. When my buddy opened his convenience store with gas pumps he explained it to me and showed me.

And you could be right Freechip, it maybe just late model cars.
"RI's Only Truck Stop" has a Bio-Diesel pump that has a small nozzle. I fill containers for my John Deere 2320 CUT.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
I can't imagine why you would do anything, but folks do it: you either missed or evaded the point. Even the non-charger incorporated designs can be made to fail by misuse.

But, you knew that....
I didn't evade any point or miss anything.

Some, repeat some, of the burnt Spektrum batteries were caused by leaving them on for days. Of course anything can be abused eventually.

But, a good many of the burnt battery stories I've read about were from regular use.

My dads DX8 battery was junk right from the factory. Not from overcharging, just from poor QC(which is a Spektrum hallmark).

How come I don't read about Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics batteries burning up in the transmitters? Are those manufacturers users smarter than Spektrum?(well they are, but thats another story).

The simple fact is the DX8 charging system was designed for the Lipo battery which is optional(and expensive). For whatever reason(probably HH profit margins), they chose to offer the DX8 with a NiMH battery which can't be charged over 10 hours and if it is it may pooch the battery. That, IMHO is a design flaw.

From a company that is so concerned with nanny alarms and litigation/liability, that just doesn't make sense. The money they spent on the vibration motor would have been better spent on a sensable smart charger like the one in my three year olds $20 toy we bought from Toys R Us.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
"RI's Only Truck Stop" has a Bio-Diesel pump that has a small nozzle. I fill containers for my John Deere 2320 CUT.

VP
How do you know they're small nozzles? The diesel nozzles are only slightly larger than the gasoline ones. Just larger enough so they won't fit in the fuel hole in modern cars and trucks. A diesel nozzle will easily fit in any fuel container.

The reason this all came up was because I specifically asked my buddy when he got fuel at his convenience store how many people he sees weekly that accidentally put diesel in there gas cars. He said "none". He then explained and showed me the difference. He did say he saw a few people put gas in a diesel vehicle though! LOL.

link
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...n-unleaded.htm
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,271 Posts
Quote:
I didn't evade any point or miss anything.

Some, repeat some, of the burnt Spektrum batteries were caused by leaving them on for days. Of course anything can be abused eventually.

But, a good many of the burnt battery stories I've read about were from regular use.

My dads DX8 battery was junk right from the factory. Not from overcharging, just from poor QC(which is a Spektrum hallmark).

How come I don't read about Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics batteries burning up in the transmitters? Are those manufacturers users smarter than Spektrum?(well they are, but thats another story).

The simple fact is the DX8 charging system was designed for the Lipo battery which is optional(and expensive). For whatever reason(probably HH profit margins), they chose to offer the DX8 with a NiMH battery which can't be charged over 10 hours and if it is it may pooch the battery. That, IMHO is a design flaw.

From a company that is so concerned with nanny alarms and litigation/liability, that just doesn't make sense. The money they spent on the vibration motor would have been better spent on a sensable smart charger like the one in my three year olds $20 toy we bought from Toys R Us.
Sure you missed the point, and are still evading it: even the "old style" external chargers can cause a radio to be inoperative. Whether the battery "burns up" or the fuse blows, substantively, it is the same result.

You seem to have a really irrational prejudice here, in my opinion.

Again, plug your A 9 in overnight, and if you are really lucky, the fuse may be intact. (By the way, my A 9 came with "factory fresh" problems, and I didn't generalize this regarding the quality of all Hitec products or transmitters-this simply would not have been rational.)

But, you already knew that....

Now, as for your generalized, reckless statements regarding quality, well, who knows, a Spektrum lawyer may come a callin'-but, as you are a kid, and judgment-proof, I guess, "Why bother."

For your little file: I did "overcharge" a battery in my JR X9303, and JR kindly replaced it with a nice note about not leaving it on the charger so long.
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Apr 04, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Sure you missed the point, and are still evading it: even the "old style" external chargers can cause a radio to be inoperative. Whether the battery "burns up" or the fuse blows, substantively, it is the same result.

You seem to have a really irrational prejudice here, in my opinion.

Again, plug your A 9 in overnight, and if you are really lucky, the fuse may be intact.

But, you already knew that....

Now, as for your generalized, reckless statements regarding quality, well, who knows, a Spektrum lawyer may come a callin'-but, as you are a kid, and judgment-proof, I guess, "Why bother."

For your little file: I did "overcharge" a battery in my JR X9303, and JR kindly replaced it with a nice note about not leaving it on the charger so long.
I charge my A9 overnight(at least 12 hours) several times a week.(or whenever I go out to fly or sail), with no ill effects. I'm sure most A9 users with the NiMH packs do as well.
I base all my statements on my own experience with Spek, which hasn't been good.
Spek attorneys coming after me for slander? LOL. Doubtfull. The truth is not slander. They haven't come after anybody else who has spoken about poor Spektrum quality on these forums and they are numerous! Just like defending a patent or a trademark, that sets a precident.
You make an awful lot of assumptions. Not very smart or informed.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:01 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,271 Posts
Quote:
I charge my A9 overnight(at least 12 hours) several times a week.(or whenever I go out to fly or sail), with no ill effects. I'm sure most A9 users with the NiMH packs do as well.
I base all my statements on my own experience with Spek, which hasn't been good.
Spek attorneys coming after me for slander? LOL. Doubtfull. The truth is not slander. They haven't come after anybody else who has spoken about poor Spektrum quality on these forums and they are numerous! Just like defending a patent or a trademark, that sets a precident.
You make an awful lot of assumptions. Not very smart or informed.
Hm, I reckon you mean "precedent."

Well, I think it's time to put you on the ignore list. It's my own fault for thinking I could try reason.

No need for assumptions regarding your contentions, nor did I "assume" anything about you, your character, your "experience" or anything else-I simply made rational inferences from your own postings.

Have a good one.
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Apr 04, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:35 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
I am starting to think that I should have sat this one out...But I just can't help myself.

Quote:
The difference is that the Spektrum solution eliminates the option to use your own superior charging solution (without removing the battery). I have never used the charger that has come with my transmitters (until I got the DX8).

I wrote this in the "inactivity alarm" thread, but perhaps it is more relevant here:
I really have trouble understanding the rationale behind the 12v (not so) "smart" charging system. It seems that the idea is to make it easy to charge anywhere that there is a 12v source (i.e. at the field); however, given the anemic 200mah charge rate, field charging is rather impractical. So, it is likely that the radio will be charged in the vicinity of an outlet, which seems to negate any advantage that the current charging scheme would have. We can't quick charge (without removing the battery) and there is no charge termination for NiMH - it certainly does not seem like an equitable tradeoff.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Last edited by grumpy42; Apr 04, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:10 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,271 Posts
I suspect you are one in a million.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:17 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Agreed.

and...

A legend in his own mind (actually there may be several in this thread).

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:36 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
Well, my mother always told me that was "special"...

It still doesn't mean that I am wrong.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Last edited by grumpy42; Apr 04, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:03 PM
Volt-action...
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Apr 2005
239 Posts
Wow... over 100 posts today. I thought we had a new release.
monjo is offline Find More Posts by monjo