HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RS Rogers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:20 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,822 Posts
Thanks Steve!
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:57 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Thanks Steve, not what I wanted to read but at least I have my answer.

Not really a problem, I'll just set my initial spool-up speed as fast as the drive-train can handle and use my TH switch like I would with any other ESC.
RMG2 is offline Find More Posts by RMG2
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:44 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG2 View Post
Thanks Steve, not what I wanted to read but at least I have my answer.

Not really a problem, I'll just set my initial spool-up speed as fast as the drive-train can handle and use my TH switch like I would with any other ESC.
If you will set the Normal Curve to all Zeros as I stated in the docs. you will have this "safety zone" to arm the controller & no worries about anything starting. The throttle hold position will still work in this same manner with the auto rotation you just wont be able to arm the esc in T.H.
The only down side to this is you loose the ability to have a speed set in the first box.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:46 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
I have run into a snag setting up the auto bailout feature.

I selected the auto bailout feature and fixed endpoints. Then I set the end points on the radio. Next I set the normal curve to 0s and maxed out the throttle hold %. Next I spun the motor up in idle1 and started to lower the throttle hold value. The first click slowed the motor, as well as each additional click. The PDF states

"decrease the value pausing breifly between each point until you hear the motor loose power & begin to slow go no further!"

Well the instant I decrease it at all, the motor slows ... so what am I to take from that?
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:52 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
quick question about set rpm gov mode. does the headspeed change rate only affect the speed of rpm changes from one flight mode to the next, or does it also help determine how quickly RPM's are restored by the governor after the head has been unloaded?
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:28 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
I have run into a snag setting up the auto bailout feature.

I selected the auto bailout feature and fixed endpoints. Then I set the end points on the radio. Next I set the normal curve to 0s and maxed out the throttle hold %. Next I spun the motor up in idle1 and started to lower the throttle hold value. The first click slowed the motor, as well as each additional click. The PDF states

"decrease the value pausing breifly between each point until you hear the motor loose power & begin to slow go no further!"

Well the instant I decrease it at all, the motor slows ... so what am I to take from that?
It sounds as though you have either gov. low or gov. high selected on the Castle Link. The difference between the high & low gov. vs. set rpm is high & low will allow head speed changes with every point of throttle change. Set rpm has 1 speed for a set of ranges.

Steve
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:31 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
quick question about set rpm gov mode. does the headspeed change rate only affect the speed of rpm changes from one flight mode to the next, or does it also help determine how quickly RPM's are restored by the governor after the head has been unloaded?
Head Speed Change Rate affects how quick the head goes from one speed to another when choosing a different throttle - Normal, Idle 1 & 2 AND how fast the head recovers when you bail out of an auto. The Gov Gain determines how quick the throttle responds from loading & unloading.

Steve
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Rogers View Post
It sounds as though you have either gov. low or gov. high selected on the Castle Link. The difference between the high & low gov. vs. set rpm is high & low will allow head speed changes with every point of throttle change. Set rpm has 1 speed for a set of ranges.

Steve
Nope I have "Set RPM" selected. I will check it again but that is the only way I set it up.

Should the motor hold exactly the same rpm until you lower throttle hold just the right amount, and then drop a little? What is a typical value for throttle hold in a DX7? I mean is it like 5% or is it much higher like in the 30s?

On a similar note ... if one actually did want to run "Gov High", how would you set up the auto bailout feature?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 01:20 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Rogers View Post
Head Speed Change Rate affects how quick the head goes from one speed to another when choosing a different throttle - Normal, Idle 1 & 2 AND how fast the head recovers when you bail out of an auto. The Gov Gain determines how quick the throttle responds from loading & unloading.

Steve
thanks, thats what I thought.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old Mar 27, 2010, 02:01 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Nope I have "Set RPM" selected. I will check it again but that is the only way I set it up.

Should the motor hold exactly the same rpm until you lower throttle hold just the right amount, and then drop a little? What is a typical value for throttle hold in a DX7? I mean is it like 5% or is it much higher like in the 30s?

On a similar note ... if one actually did want to run "Gov High", how would you set up the auto bailout feature?
The motor should remain at the same speed (if your in set rpm mode) as the controller is only looking at a throttle signature between 1 - 50 on your throttle curve (if in Normal mode) & anything above the "right setting" for the Throttle Hold window would be within that 0 - 50 range.
I have never tried to calibrate the Auto Rotation in High or Low gov but I would assume the speed of the motor would get slower & slower & at one point the esc would cut the power to the motor signaling its in the "window" before you reach zero. I'm going to have to experiment with that one!

You've brought up a very interesting point that need to be found out - Thanks!!
The set RPM has worked so well I haven't tried Hi & Lo gov in quiet a while - shame on me!

Steve
Old Mar 27, 2010, 02:09 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:

Oh the throttle hold calibration on my DX 7 & ICE 75 was at 10.5 but may be a little different for yours.

Steve
Old Mar 27, 2010, 03:08 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Ok I looked at everything, and it all looked good. The gov mode was "set rpm" and "Autorotation enable" was checked. So I tried once again to set up my radio for auto bailout and this time it worked fine. It held a steady rpm until 10.5%, then the motor died all together. If I went back up it would start again at 13% and then die right at 10.5% like before.

Next I tried it. With throttle hold off I went to normal (flat 0 curve) to arm the esc like I was staring with a new pack. Then I changed to idle1 and the motor started its normal slow start. I let it spin all the way up and then I grabbed throttle hold. Once the motor stopped I clicked it off and it spun up at a much quicker than the slow start ... by golly it works
Old Mar 27, 2010, 03:44 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Ah Success!!

Steve
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:13 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Ok next up. I have been playing with the PWM and gain settings to try and find a nice combo. So far it is working ok but I still have a constant tail twitch going on. This is on my Rex450 Pro with Scorpion -8 and 14T. The gain is 13, the timing is normal and the PWM is 12KHz in for this graph (5 samples per sec).

The first image is the whole flight. I was doing almost constant back flips, so that is why the graph looks like it does. The second is just zoomed in on the middle of the first.

Ok my question is concerning the "pulsing" nature of the gov. You can see it in everything from the voltage to the motor out. I know there will always be some of this pulsing but this seems a bit excessive and I think it is causing the tail movement. How doe sthat look to you guys?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:55 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Humm The head speed looks pretty good are you getting any gear chatter that usually comes with a high gain setting? You might could try the 8k setting on the PWM & drop the gain a couple more points to see if the wag goes away & how the head speed reacts to that.

Steve