HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RS Rogers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,034 Posts
help with endpionts setup

For a Heli (450 size), do I really need to phisicaly disengage the motor or can I just disconnect 2 wires.
Also when one sees the change in lights ramping up the output from the TX and goes 2 steps further is this the setting the TX should be left at. This seems to be setting the TX to the CC ( PH35 in my case) as opposed to vise versa.
Sorry for my ignorance, Heli setups are new to me.
Going the other direction there is a period where I get 2 short flashes then as the TX output is lowered the LED goes out. No sign of an amber indication. The ESC is 1.5-2 years old and running 3.241
Thanks for any clarification, Alex
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:56 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
The reason for disengaging the motor ( I am assuming at the auto rotation set up) is because for the calibration the motor HAS to be running so disconnecting 2 legs wont get us there.
In calibrating the throttle yes once full / zero throttle is met & we go 2 more points this is calibrating the Tx to the controller & thats where we stop.

Once you lower the throttle from full the light will go out if there is no motor running or disconnected.

Hope this helps.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:08 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,034 Posts
kinda getting it

Steve thanks for the reply.
I'm just doing a simple end point calibration, no auto rotate for me for a while. I will take the time to pull the main gear or remove the blades sometime this weekend and give it a go.
I am using a Royal Pro(was EVO) and am adjusting the throttle servo to a flatter line before starting I'm not sure if this is the same as ATV but it has the same effect.
Just to be clear, if my radio finishes at say 80 and -80 for example do i leave it there or return to 100%. are we setting the radio or the ESC points!
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
Last edited by A Monell; Feb 26, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:12 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Ah! If your not calibrating the throttle hold removing the blades should be fine.

Steve
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:01 AM
Joined Feb 2010
9 Posts
So is normal mode used as a throttle cut when using the autorotation feature? If so how is normal set in (set rpm mode)?
s wall is offline Find More Posts by s wall
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:10 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Yes normal on the Tx becomes the arming / throttle cut. The first box on the Castle Link needs a value (though its irrelevant) so I just enter the same head speed that I have in the second box.
As stated in the inst. if you have a 3 position switch on throttle hold (a lot of Tx's dont) you can program the third position to the zero value for arming & throttle cut & regain the use of the normal set rpm.
Hope this helps!

Steve
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2010
9 Posts
I have a JR 9303tx using 3 position flight mode switch and a throttle hold switch.
I do not do autoís but I may need this feature to work.

I am trying to get idea of what to expect at the field.

Turn on tx.
Set flight mode switch to normal.
Throttle hold on.
Plug in battery initialize ESC.
Set throttle stick to center (zero) pitch.
Flight mode switch to st-1 or st-2.
Flip throttle hold off spool up fly.

I have been using normal mode to land having about -3 pitch so I donít slam into the ground. I have not flown this ECS yet because of work and weather. I am trying to get my plans together.

Thanks
s wall is offline Find More Posts by s wall
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:37 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wall View Post
I have a JR 9303tx using 3 position flight mode switch and a throttle hold switch.
I do not do auto’s but I may need this feature to work.

I am trying to get idea of what to expect at the field.

Turn on tx.
Set flight mode switch to normal.
Throttle hold on.
Plug in battery initialize ESC.
Set throttle stick to center (zero) pitch.
Flight mode switch to st-1 or st-2.
Flip throttle hold off spool up fly.

I have been using normal mode to land having about -3 pitch so I don’t slam into the ground. I have not flown this ECS yet because of work and weather. I am trying to get my plans together.

Thanks
In your sequence above you wont need the throttle hold on. As soon as you flip from Normal to Idle or Stunt 1 the heli will start to spool up according to the "Initial Spool Up" rate set on the Castle Link assuming all Normal points are zero.

Steve
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Hey Steve I have a question concerning setting up the Governor Mode for Gaui 550. The Gaui 550 isn't like most other heli's that just have the motor pinion and main bearing. There are two different main bearings, the motor pinion and the one way gear assembly, all of which can have different number of teeth.

Can you recommend a way to set up the governor mode on this particular heli?
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:18 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta30 View Post
Hey Steve I have a question concerning setting up the Governor Mode for Gaui 550. The Gaui 550 isn't like most other heli's that just have the motor pinion and main bearing. There are two different main bearings, the motor pinion and the one way gear assembly, all of which can have different number of teeth.

Can you recommend a way to set up the governor mode on this particular heli?
Try this to figure your gear ratio:
Tooth count on front main gear divided by the tooth count on the pinion you want to use on the motor (this pinion will be your variable). Then divide the tooth count on the back gear (on the main shaft) by the pinion tooth count that is driving it. Take the answers & multiply them & that will give you the answer.

Example: Front main gear divided by motor pinion. 42 / 13 = 3.23
Rear Main Gear divided by mid pinion. 61 / 19 = 3.21
3.23 x 3.21 = 10.36 so in the motor & gearing info section instead of entering the pinion & main gear tooth count just enter the gear ratio of 10.36 to 1

This is an example - your manual should tell you the tooth count on all the gears.

Hope this helps
Steve
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:10 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Awesome!

Thanks for the help
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:38 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Zotique
Joined Nov 2009
56 Posts
If I want to setup my CC35 for scale flying governed mode with a normal curve (not interested in flying in Stunt mode). Can I have point 0 set to 0 and following points set to my governed value (75-85%). That way, I can initialyse the ESC with throttle stick full down. What will happen when I will start moving Throttle stick up (motor will start turning slowly and head speed will spool up to the correct governed value as soon I pass the 25% position and this up to 100%???)
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!!
ssav is offline Find More Posts by ssav
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:59 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Steve will correct me if I'm wrong but what you want to do is possible, especially if you don't have a throttle hold switch.

A better way to do it though is to have a straight throttle curve to match your head speed, say 55%. Then use your Throttle Hold switch. Have it set to hold before you plug in the battery and your ESC will arm because it senses your throttle at 0% (even if it actually isn't). Then once you are ready to go flip the throttle hold and your motor will slowly spool up.

I'm not too worried about forgetting to turn on the throttle hold switch because the spool up is so slow If I do forget it there won't be a sudden burst of power. I just unplug the battery and try again.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 06:16 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssav View Post
If I want to setup my CC35 for scale flying governed mode with a normal curve (not interested in flying in Stunt mode). Can I have point 0 set to 0 and following points set to my governed value (75-85%). That way, I can initialyse the ESC with throttle stick full down. What will happen when I will start moving Throttle stick up (motor will start turning slowly and head speed will spool up to the correct governed value as soon I pass the 25% position and this up to 100%???)
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!!
If you do this in low/high gov. every movement of the collective will result in a different head speed. If done in set rpm mode O throttle will arm then any collective between 0 & 50% stick will be the speed set in the first box, 50 to 99 stick will be the speed in the second box & full stick will be the speed in the third box. To confusing when their is a better way!
Since I use the auto rotation feature & currently dont have a 3 position switch on throttle hold I set my normal throttle curve to ALL 0's & arm the esc there. Flip into Idle or Stunt 1, the heli spools up & just fly.
IF you dont use the auto rotation feature the I would recommend Zeta30's suggestion & use throttle hold to arm the esc.

Steve
Old Mar 01, 2010, 12:02 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Zotique
Joined Nov 2009
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Rogers View Post
If you do this in low/high gov. every movement of the collective will result in a different head speed. If done in set rpm mode O throttle will arm then any collective between 0 & 50% stick will be the speed set in the first box, 50 to 99 stick will be the speed in the second box & full stick will be the speed in the third box. To confusing when their is a better way!
Since I use the auto rotation feature & currently dont have a 3 position switch on throttle hold I set my normal throttle curve to ALL 0's & arm the esc there. Flip into Idle or Stunt 1, the heli spools up & just fly.
IF you dont use the auto rotation feature the I would recommend Zeta30's suggestion & use throttle hold to arm the esc.

Steve
OK, so the way I wanted to do it will be too complicated and wont work good....
What I wanted to get is having the motor killed at low stick without having to flip any switch....all this in governed mode.
ssav is offline Find More Posts by ssav