HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2003, 08:43 AM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
Does Home Depot carries lightweight alu rod that could be used for landing gear?

I went to the 1$ shop yesterday and bought 5 little plastic cars at 1$ each. I bought that because they have very light wheels (1" diam) on them and I wanted to use them as landing gear.

I don't have any hobby shop near my place so I was wondering if I could find lightweight rods/wires to attach the wheels too in a home improvement store.

Thanks for the info.

Fred
Fred Methot is offline Find More Posts by Fred Methot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2003, 09:27 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,590 Posts
I don't know what they have in wire but they have a decent selection of aluminum barstock and angles. You could check and see how small the sizes they have go down too. Also, depending on your application, I have made some landing gear using the wire from marking flags the surveyors use. They are pretty cheap and are a little easier to bend than music wire.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old May 20, 2003, 05:12 PM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
Just back from my flying field (Soccer field). I found 3 marker flags there from the telecom company, for marking underground lines I guess... I took a couple (oups)... This is exactly what I needed.

Now, where can I BUY those little surveyor flags?
Fred Methot is offline Find More Posts by Fred Methot
Old May 20, 2003, 09:25 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,590 Posts
I bought them from a Ace Hardware in town. They may have them in Home Depot also.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old May 25, 2003, 11:59 AM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Landing Gear-Wire

I have had very good luck with Bicycle Wheel Spokes...Very cheap,
just look around during the trash collection days. Very durable and strong. If none are available, then the local bike shop will sell you new spokes for about a $1 for the 28" bikes. Or ask for an old rim with the spokes (for free)

Here is a photo of a plane in progress with spoke wire for landing gear.

BobFlyer
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Old May 25, 2003, 03:02 PM
Mississippi
Joined Jul 2000
756 Posts
I'll second ACE hardware,they have aluminum and brass that I've used in the past.Our closest town is too small for a Home Depot
cloudhopper is offline Find More Posts by cloudhopper
Old May 25, 2003, 03:32 PM
Tulsa,Ok
Joined Jan 2003
248 Posts
Fred:
I've used the alum tube and it bends very easily. Now I'm thinking that if it was wrapped with packing tape ,it might strengthen it enough. Just my .02

Mike
mcart1956 is offline Find More Posts by mcart1956