HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2003, 06:45 AM
Bayville, New York
Joined Jun 2001
126 Posts
Chris O'Reilly's Pitts Special!!

I just ordered the Pitts Special laser-cut kit from DWE (http://www.smallrc.com)and am very happy with the quality of the kit.... Wood is great, laser-cut is clean...
I am about to get started building her and was wondering if anyone has made any modifications, or has any suggestions on construction. There was a lot of talk about people building one... Just wondered if anyone ever did... now that it's in kit form it should be a hit. If you've built one post your pick.
Thanks.
Brandon
Taniwha314 is offline Find More Posts by Taniwha314
Last edited by Taniwha314; May 20, 2003 at 07:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2003, 07:17 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
That's great news the Pitts and Moth kits are out and available.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old May 20, 2003, 12:19 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
I just checked out the Pitts. I have never done anything that small before and I have never used any actuators. Do you guys have any advice before I take the plunge?

This thing is twisting my arm pretty hard!

Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old May 20, 2003, 12:45 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Joe,
Buy the RFFS-100 and build the Lil Skeeter to get your feet wet, or something like my Quick Mite or any number of other simple planes people on this forum have made. Or, you could do something like my Stechmücke. It's best to learn on something where all the equipment is on the outside and easy to get at. You can also decide if you want to go with control surface actuators (Bird style) or remote actuators with tiny control rods. Then, if you get the Pitts you won't have to learn those things while you are working inside a fuselage. With the stick planes you can easily keep gluing them together if your earlier flights are not perfect.

Take the plunge, you won't be sorry.

Gordon
Old May 20, 2003, 02:21 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Gordon,
I have been poking around on the DWE site. It looks like I could order the Lil' Skeeter Lipoly combo and have everything I need to build. (I already have a lipoly charger) It also looks like the Pitts lipoly combo uses the exact same equipment except for the lipoly cell. Do you know if the Pitts would fly with the larger cell or is weight that big of and issue? Also, do you know if the Pitts can use the same actuators as the Lil Skeeter? It would be really cool if I could learn on the Lil Skeeter and then transfer the hardware to the Pitts once I get comfortable with its use.

Thoughts?

Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old May 20, 2003, 02:51 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Joe,
I have not personally built the Pitts. But, the designer Chris has flown with us. He used the Kokam 145 in it, and that would work for the Lil Skeeter too. The DWE 170's are only slightly heavier than the Kokam 145's. If you know you are headed towards the Pitts, just get Dan to substitute the 170 cell instead. the Lil Skeeter will fly on either cell (170 or 230). BTW, the DWE cells test out very well and are great cells.

Gordon