HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:44 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Data
What pack should I get? An updated comprehensive list

There's an ocean of different batteries out there - and it can be overwhelming for both new pilots, and experiences ones. Also, I hate buying packs I think are great - to later find out that these packs are actually no good or are overpriced.

I miss a list over good batteries for different uses! So;

I would like to make a table of battery brands and product series (if avail.) that today fit 4 different groups of pilots: Economy, Intermediate, Max performance, Lightweight; Divided into ranges of C-rating. And I hope I dont step on write2dgray's toes now for his awesome list of batteries!

1. Economy: Best mah and C per $, quality and durability not that important.
2. Intermediate: Nice batteries for the intermediate pilot (not hard 3D or people doing competitions) regards to quality, but price still a factor
3. Max performance: Best quality, duability and performance - price not important
4. Lightweight: Best mah per gram

I'm not that experienced myself, and need your help filling out this!

(If this is stupid - just dont reply and the thread will die :P )
However, if you guys think this would be a good idea - reply with your suggestions, both with regards to relevant brands and to classification. I'll update the thread continuously!

NOTE: This will be a subjective list over battery brands people in here THINK fit the corresponding category!

2. Intermediate
    1. N/A
  3. Max performance
    1. N/A
  4. Lightweight
    1. N/A

20-29C
  1. Economy
    1. Turnigy
    2. Zippy
    3. Rhino
  2. Intermediate
    1. Turnigy
    2. Hyperion G3 CX
  3. Max performance
    1. N/A
  4. Lightweight
    1. ThunderPower - Prolite V2
    2. Hyperion G3 CX

30-39C
  1. Economy
    1. Turnigy
    2. Zippy
    3. Rhino
  2. Intermediate
    1. Turnigy
  3. Max performance
    1. Hyperion G3 VX
    2. ThunderPower Pro Power
  4. Lightweight
    1. N/A

40C and up
  1. Economy
    1. Turnigy
    2. Rhino
    3. Zippy
  2. Intermediate
    1. Turnigy
  3. Max performance
    1. ThunderPower Pro Power
  4. Lightweight
    1. N/A
Vaffel is offline Find More Posts by Vaffel
Last edited by Vaffel; Feb 09, 2010 at 05:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:44 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Placeholder for more text if needed
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:50 AM
Joined Dec 2009
34 Posts
For 1 and 2 see Turnigy 40c-50c
For 3 and 4 see Thunder Power 50c-100c
hydromaddicted is offline Find More Posts by hydromaddicted
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:58 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Ok, I need to expand to brand AND product line name for this to be any good

So the Turnigy doesnt have any different product lines as far as I can see... so these are generally good for all S2-S6 for category 1 and 2?

And the Thunderpower: Prolite V2 for the 4th category, and what lines for the 3rd category?
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:07 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Perhaps a little more info will help.

As one example Hyperion has G3 series in both CX (25c) and VX (35C) the CX is less expensive and overal a bit lighter.

Thunder Power has ProLite V2 (20c) Pro Power 30C,40Cand 45C. Each of these is aimed at /intended to be used in a specifice range of applications. Some where cost and or weight are primary concerns and others where max. available power is the concern and still others where there is a real mix of these requirements .

Good luck but past such efforts have always turned into a list of favorites not based on real requirements but rather I use these because my LHS carries them,my buddy likes them,they are the best value IMO,I tried the big names and these are just as goor )better). Most of this based on little experience and little to no hard data to back it up.

Have a look here at only 3S listings and this list is not up to date and contains no comments as to good,better,best.

http://www.progressiverc.com/3S_Lipo.html.
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 08, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:32 PM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Yeah, Ive just expanded to product lines aswell as brand, as I stated above.

Maybe it will fail horribly - but I'll give it a shot anyways

But do you think that such a list is waste of time, everydayflier - or actually a good idea both for newcommers and experienced rc'ers alike?

YES, it will be subjective - but I hope with high participation we can get the general opinoin about the batteries.

So the Prolite V2 is light weight. So what are the Pro Power lines aimed at?

EDIT: Added the hyperion CX-series to the Intermediate category. Is the VX good enough to hit the high performance-cat?
Last edited by Vaffel; Feb 08, 2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:37 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Sorry it is not that simple. A ProLite 45 is lighter than most other LiPolys of the same cell count and capacity. I was merely trying to point out how complete choosing the right LiPoly is.

Charles
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:56 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Yes the VX is one of the higher performance packs around. Also the CX is very small and light, more so than most, so it should probably be in the "Light" category.

Also I see no need to have a different cell counts. Usually they characteristics of a brand/line carry over for all their packs.

Another note is that you are using Turnigy as a brand but really it should be most of the HobbyCity brands including both the Turnigy and Zippy (Flightmax, Rhino, etc) lines. Maybe also the economy should be HC brands unto 30C and intermediate should be HC brands over 30C.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:03 PM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Yeah, I can change the cell-count categorizing into C-rating instead. Im thinking that its nice to see if theres really economy batteries with high C-rating.

Maybe 10-20, 20-30, 30-40, 40 and up? As turingy and polyquest have 40C batts (economy?)

Do we need more categories than the 4.? Or maybe change the ones posted?
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:11 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
C-rating is not really accurate I don't think. For example a Turnigy 40C pack will not hold voltage like a VX or TP45C pack. The way you have it with "uses" is better.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:15 PM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Thanks for the input - but I believe that is covered by the categorization; The Turnigy 40C would be placed in the economy class, and the VX pack in high performance.

Its a known fact that the cheap packs don't give as much as they say.

Agree?
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:27 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Its a known fact that the cheap packs don't give as much as they say.

Agree?
Not really. Some of the less expensive packs do better than some of the more expensive ones. With many of the less expensive packs you sometimes get great performing ones,sometimes mid. performance and sometimes very poor performance. The higher priced ones tend to be more consistent.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:55 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Exactly. There will always be a few lipos that perform outside their intended class but on average Turnigy-like packs are not on the same level as other high end packs in terms of performance.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:14 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Ok, then thats stated

So, give me more packs in different C-ranges that fit in the different categories!

Just to state it: it's not meant to put ALL batteries in this list. Only the ones that are good enough for each category which you would reccomend for the given uses.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:35 AM
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Ok, are the Zippys and the Rhinos considered as good economy packs? And can they be regarded as intermediate aswell, just as Turingy? Or are the Turingy packs better?