HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:43 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,614 Posts
Discussion
HF DG303 Elan Canopy

Well my first foray into scale is going to be with a HF Models DG303 Acro Elan that I managed to find on Ebay France. Fortunately the language wasn't a problem as the seller happened to be English and living out there!
Anyway the price was good and the model is ready to fly as soon as I install a receiver and battery pack.
There is one slight downside though and this is that the canopy has a crack in it. It is repaired and apparantly structurally good however I would like to try and replace it with a good one if possible.
So, can anyone please advise on this. I've tried the contact details for the manufacturer (topmodelteknic) but the price is coming through at around 80 Euro delivered which sounds rather on the high side. Can anyone suggest anyone else who could supply one or alternatively perhaps someone out there may have a suitable spare canopy?

An option I had thought of is to try and make my own by vac forming. I've never done it before but it could be a fun little project to have a go at. There are a few threads on here showing how it can be done without too much work and investment but it would obviously be a lot easier if I could just find one.

Anyway, if anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
Dave
skirmish is offline Find More Posts by skirmish
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:45 AM
Zürich
Joined Feb 2003
166 Posts
Hello Dave

The manufacturer is http://www.faltusmodel.com/en13.htm ,but I think they might have been bought out by the other crowd you mentioned in your post, you could try these fellows here http://www.scalegliders.co.uk/ they also have the HF Models.

Good Luck

Daniel
Daniel Gut is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Gut
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:53 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,614 Posts
Hi Daniel
Thanks for your message. Yes, you're right that Faltus appear to have been taken over by Topmodelteknic and it is they who are quoting the 80 Euros. I've tried emailing Scalegliders but have yet to receive a reply.

A possible solution is to get a canopy from Topp Rippin for the DG 300 that they produce. the model is slightly bigger than my HF DG but I can probably trim it down in size to fit. The cost is certainly a lot less.

Dave
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:14 AM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
788 Posts
Hi Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmish View Post
A possible solution is to get a canopy from Topp Rippin for the DG 300 that they produce. the model is slightly bigger than my HF DG but I can probably trim it down in size to fit. The cost is certainly a lot less.
I would give Topp Rippin a try…

Andy
bie is offline Find More Posts by bie
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:19 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,614 Posts
The Topp Rippin canopy is 30 Euro including delivery which is a lot less than the 80 Euro that Topmodelteknic quoted.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:48 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
520 Posts
Hf DG 303

Dave,
pleased to see that you have got a proper glider at last? I paid around the same for a DG1000 canopy last year.Be prepared to wait mine took three months,
cheers Euan.
ps i would be inclined to try Bob at Soaring usa or Etienne at I care
egall232 is online now Find More Posts by egall232
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:18 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,614 Posts
Proper glider???
I'll ignore that cheeky taunt!

Where did you get yours from that took three months?

I'll try Bob and Icare though as well.