HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2001, 07:22 AM
Bedford, VA
Joined Jun 2001
272 Posts
Paint - Formula-U

I'm building a Sky Scooter and have decided (after reading many posts here and abroad) that I would paint it using Midwest's Formula-U paint. So far I've only painted the fuselage but I'm having a little trouble that I was hoping someone here could possibly help with. I need to mask around the canopy area so that I can paint it black, but masking tape, electrical tape and even scotch tape all peel the pre-existing paint off when I try to remove it. Any ideas on how I can MASK FORMULA-U paint??? Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Jack Gross is offline Find More Posts by Jack Gross
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2001, 08:35 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
I just painted my canopy then used a papermate W10 permanent marker to make it plack, looked like gloss black when done
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Sep 24, 2001, 01:10 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Hi Jack

I'm afraid I've got a jaundiced view of this paint..

This stuff takes FOREVER to cure to any kind of permanence of bond or hardness. Think of polyurethane spar varnish and how long it takes to cure, (not the water based stuff, I'm refering to the mineral spirit based slightly stinky stuff.) Well Formula U takes a couple of days to a week to cure properly, and I would think that the Sky Scooter, as it is Expanded Polypropolene or EPP, doesn't allow this paint to off-gas its solvents through it's surface as well as balsa would.

I've got an old Oly II glider that the fuse was painted with this stuff, 4 hours to handling cure..?? not likely,.. the Oly has my fingerprints from handling it 1 day after painting it!

Let it cure and then some, then don't weigh your plane after unless you like suprizes. I'm sorry, but if someone else has had good luck with this paint , for heavens sake speak up and counter my claims, Still I'll never use this paint on any present electric I've got planned.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Sep 24, 2001, 12:39 PM
United States, IL, Wonder Lake
Joined Apr 2000
235 Posts
Jack,
Looee is right, Formula U takes several days to a week to fully cure (not 4 hours like the can says). You could mask it then. I would use masking tape but put in on your shirt or pants a couple time first to make it a little less sticky. I have had good luck with this paint in the past, it is heavier than others though. I have painted canopies on foamies with Testors paint sticks or testors paint in the little botttles and a brush, with a steady hand no masking needed, it also goes over formula U without a problem.

Good luck,
Rob
ratobin is offline Find More Posts by ratobin
Old Sep 24, 2001, 03:15 PM
Bedford, VA
Joined Jun 2001
272 Posts
Thanks Guys,
As usual this discussion group has saved me a lot of frustration.
Jack Gross is offline Find More Posts by Jack Gross
Old Sep 24, 2001, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2001
2 Posts
Don't have a clue of how to solve your problem, just checked in here at work and saw the name. Everything is fine. Probably share the Packer game tonight with Gloria. Hope the mad. lets this through.
TXBR
broberts is offline Find More Posts by broberts