HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2010, 05:55 PM
Is it supposed to do that?
New Brunswick, Can
Joined Jul 2009
123 Posts
Discussion
Art Hobby Sky EV 2m

Hey All, I'm looking for a glider that I won't need to drag out the hi-start for and I was thinking DLG when I realized how expensive a decent one is! So my other option in a power glider which seems FUN! The Sky EV 2m seems like a perfect plane. Not too expensive, decently light, and easy to build. I have a few questions though. I've been hoping to use my JR DS285's and I know they'll work for the tail but do you think they'll work for the wings? or should I get me some HS-65's?
As far as power I was thinking:

Art Hobby's PJS-900ART Motor
Thunderbird ESC
3s 900 or1200mAh Battery
Art Hobby's 31mm Spinner (4mm Shaft)
11 x 6 Folding Prop

I'm looking for your input b/c I don't know too much about powered gliders.

Simon
SimonP. is offline Find More Posts by SimonP.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2010, 06:18 PM
New Brunswick, Can
Joined Jul 2009
123 Posts
The other option I'm considering is that exact setup in the Sky-EV 1.7m only with a PJS-700ART Motor instead. Forgot to mention that.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 09:01 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
705 Posts
Simon,

I fly both the 1.7m Sky with cross tail and the 2.0m Sky EV. I use the PJS 900 on the 1.7m with a 950 mAh battery and it climbs nicely. I was using the 900 on the Sky 2.0m but wanted a stronger climb so I moved to the PJS 1200 with a 1600 mAh battery. An excellent climber now.

My AH planes are all very good fliers and have maidened with very small trim adjustments. Both my Sky sailplanes thermal very well. It is not uncommon for me to be up well over 1000 feet in thermals. Both handle the wind easily.

I have my planes programmed for spoilerons which greatly assists during landings and coming down from boomers. You may want to consider should you go with one of these planes.

I only have HS-55s in my 1.7. That's ailerons and tail. On my Sky 2.0, I have HS-65MGs on the ailerons and HS-55s in for the tail. Works fine. I'm not familiar with the specs on the JR servos, but they make good equipment. Seems to me if the size is okay, use them. The thickness of the servos for your ailerons would be the critical dimension.

Dave
Highride is online now Find More Posts by Highride
Old Feb 08, 2010, 02:23 PM
New Brunswick, Can
Joined Jul 2009
123 Posts
hmm.. I'm Thinking the 1.7 EV with the 900 Motor. If I can get it shipped to Canada without paying ridiculous shipping charges that may be my next purchase.

Just for fun, is it possible to so some mellow speed runs on it?
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2007
705 Posts
Simon,

These planes can move along quite quickly. I sometimes swoop down from altitude for a low-level pass, whistling along the field then "launch" with my motor to get back to thermal hunting.

It is possible to develop high speed flutter on those balsa slab ruddervators (I lost about 2/3 of one of mine coming out of a thermal and building up too much speed). I now put a layer of very light glass on the bottom surface of my ruddervators. No real weight penalty since those particular ships build slightly nose heavy so weight in the tail is a good thing. I have about 14g of lead in the tail of my Sky 2.0 and something less on the 1.7

The planes are not aerobats, but should be able to keep you amused <grin>.

Dave
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:12 PM
New Brunswick, Can
Joined Jul 2009
123 Posts
Oooo sounding even better! Sure hope I can get it for a decent price!

Thanks for the help
Simon
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:23 PM
Joined Sep 2007
705 Posts
Give Andre a call and see what he can do for you. Your shipment will be out of Billings, Montana. Great customer service. He has saved me some time on occasion when I didn't order the correct part.

Dave
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:02 PM
New Brunswick, Can
Joined Jul 2009
123 Posts
OK thanks I e-mailed them so I'll so how it goes. Thanks for the help man!

Simon