SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2010, 04:43 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Discussion
Desperately in need of help with understanding flaps settings on a DX-7 for my Texan

I'm knowingly cross posting this as I'm not getting any answers in the Radios forum. I'm hoping that since I'm trying to get my E-Flite Texan up and running that cross-posting won't be a problem. I mistakenly first posted in the Texan thread, but realize that unless you are interested in the Texan, it's unlikely you would be reading that thread. Have I justified my post???!!!

I'm trying to understand how the Flap Mix switch (3-position switch) is programmed with a mix. I'm using an AR7000 with the Flap slaved to Gear. But I don't understand how the SW:FLAP0 and SW:FLAP2 are programmed. I know I'm doing something really stupid and can't find the right help in the manual. If I set SW:FLAP0, then if I move the 3-position switch from 0-1-2, I see the OFF/ON indicator on the display go from ON-OFF-OFF.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the relationship of the FLAP SYS. function. How does the NORM, MID, LAND settings relate to the Flap Mix switch (if at all)?

What am I missing?

Thanks for helping me understand mixes and switches...

Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:04 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,223 Posts
I would suggest contacting Horison Hobbys , many of these systems are new and people do not want to speculate
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 07, 2010, 08:41 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
LDM - do you mean to say that people don't want to speculate on how the DX-7 can be configured to operate the Flap switch? I find that hard to understand...?

Jon
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:50 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
I can't offer help on the DX7 (since I don't have one), but I'm curious about something you said. You say you want the flaps on a three pos switch, which makes sense. But you also say the flaps are slaved to the landing gear. I'm not sure I understand how you can have those two conditions at once. What are you trying to accomplish?
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Feb 08, 2010, 12:02 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
i also don't understand why you want the flaps slaved to the gear...if you do that, won't the flap switch then be disabled?

i also have a dx-7 and have set up a few models with flaps...the flaps are 3 postion: norm, mid and land...the norm is full up (normal flying) while the mid and land positions you set values for...you can mix in up or down elevator as needed and i think you can also set a throttle value so the flaps are only activated at slower speeds...hope this helps...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:29 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Bjaffee/Gunracer - logical question. My flaps require two servos, unless I used a reversing Y cable, the only way I know to control two RX channels via a switch is to use a Mix where I slave one channel to the other. This is the approach I took. Does that make sense? With the thelp of Codimaster (RCGroups), I have disabled the Gear switch also using a Mix (I never would have thought of that on my own)...

Thanks,
Jon
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:03 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid8r View Post
But I don't understand how the SW:FLAP0 and SW:FLAP2 are programmed. I know I'm doing something really stupid and can't find the right help in the manual. If I set SW:FLAP0, then if I move the 3-position switch from 0-1-2, I see the OFF/ON indicator on the display go from ON-OFF-OFF.
I got a DX7 a few months ago and recently set up programmable mixes on a couple of planes with it. I haven't used it to set up flaps yet though (I've only done that on my DX6).

The idea of the switch options on the programmable mixes is that you can set it up to have the mix always on, or to only have the mix active when you flip a switch. For that purpose, the flap switch can be used like general utility toggle switch having nothing to do with the flaps. That's the way I set it up on my two planes with mixes.

What that ON-OFF-OFF is reminding you of, is whether the mix is currently active or not. And you can't set the mixing value magnitudes when you have the switch in the position for which you asked for the mix to be inactive. Try it. It won't respond to the Increase/Decrease toggle switch unless the mix is active.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Feb 08, 2010, 09:26 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
Valid8r - OK , I think I think I understand now what you were trying to do. Your plane doesn't actually have gear, right?...you just have your servos set up mirror-image like aileron servos, so you wanted to use the gear channel to correct the travel direction of the servos independently. Am I following?

OK, I just set up flaps on one of my planes to work right with my DX7, based on servos that are installed mirror-image (the flight surfaces that I set up were actually ailerons, but that doesn't matter for programming purposes).

First I plugged the left servo into the flap channel and the right servo into the gear channel. Then I went to the "FLAP SYS." screen (DX7 manual, p. 58) and set it up with flap deflections of 0%, 50%, and 100% for NORM, MID, and LAND respectively. Then I set up a programmable mix ("PROG.MIX1") with FLAP as master and GEAR as slave (the opposite of what you indicated you were trying). The mixing values that worked for me on that were the first one at +100% and the second one at -100%. I left the "SW" option at the default of "ON"...which means that I want the mix to always be active! (I want the gear channel servo to do what the flap channel servo is doing at all times!) Then I had to do one more thing -- I had to set an offset of +100 percent to get the right flap to line up with the left flap. And now it works just fine...at flap switch position "0", both flaps go up (faired with the wing), and at flap position "1", both flaps go to half-down, and at flap position "2", both flaps go full down.

Here's what the mix screen looks like:

[PROG.MIX1]
FLAP->GEAR ON
RATE: +100%
-100%
SW:ON
>OFFSET:+100%

And here's what the flap setup screen looks like:

[FLAP SYS.] NORM
FLAP ELEV
NORM 0% 0
MID >DN 50% 0
LAND DN100% 0
AUTO INH

I didn't need to reverse any servos (which surprised me, I thought I would want to reverse the gear-channel servo). And there are no other active mixes.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:59 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
And one more thing: I was able to disable the gear switch (to guard against accidental flipping, which would deflect the right flap) by going to the "TRAVEL ADJUST" menu and setting both "GEAR" values to 0%. And then I had to go back to my mix and take out the offset (set it back to zero) to have the flaps line up again.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 12:43 PM
MN
Joined Jun 2006
395 Posts
I noticed that with my 109 that the servo cut outs for the flap servos were laid in the same direction on the wing. When i initially set up flaps for my T-28D, I thought it best for (roll CG?) to have my servos mirror each other. So I went through the hastle of reversering a servo, so I would not have to use a reverding harness. With the 109 I have noticed that it really was not nessesary to do as I did on the T-28. Once you get the switch setup, start playing with different levels of mix for the elevator, and the auto land is pretty cool too.

Look at my blog for instructions to set up a throttle kill with your DX7. I find it very useful when the kids are helping me set up a plane or just bringing it back from an encounter with the earth either planned or unplanned.
geekmedic is offline Find More Posts by geekmedic
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
ok, i got it as well...the gear as the master rather than the slave channel threw me off...the reversing y harness is the ticket...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:36 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Herk - thanks for clarifying for me that the switch settings for the mixes really has nothing to do with the 3-positions of the 3-position flap switch - I think that was something that really was confusing me. The terminology was so similar that I thought they were directly related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
I got a DX7 a few months ago and recently set up programmable mixes on a couple of planes with it. I haven't used it to set up flaps yet though (I've only done that on my DX6).

The idea of the switch options on the programmable mixes is that you can set it up to have the mix always on, or to only have the mix active when you flip a switch. For that purpose, the flap switch can be used like general utility toggle switch having nothing to do with the flaps. That's the way I set it up on my two planes with mixes.

What that ON-OFF-OFF is reminding you of, is whether the mix is currently active or not. And you can't set the mixing value magnitudes when you have the switch in the position for which you asked for the mix to be inactive. Try it. It won't respond to the Increase/Decrease toggle switch unless the mix is active.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:38 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Herk - you are correct, I have no landing gear and I am using my Gear channel on my RX for one of my two flap servos. Sorry that I didn't explain that. Thanks for the settings below, I think that clarifies things for me and I will try this out this weekend.

Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Valid8r - OK , I think I think I understand now what you were trying to do. Your plane doesn't actually have gear, right?...you just have your servos set up mirror-image like aileron servos, so you wanted to use the gear channel to correct the travel direction of the servos independently. Am I following?

OK, I just set up flaps on one of my planes to work right with my DX7, based on servos that are installed mirror-image (the flight surfaces that I set up were actually ailerons, but that doesn't matter for programming purposes).

First I plugged the left servo into the flap channel and the right servo into the gear channel. Then I went to the "FLAP SYS." screen (DX7 manual, p. 58) and set it up with flap deflections of 0%, 50%, and 100% for NORM, MID, and LAND respectively. Then I set up a programmable mix ("PROG.MIX1") with FLAP as master and GEAR as slave (the opposite of what you indicated you were trying). The mixing values that worked for me on that were the first one at +100% and the second one at -100%. I left the "SW" option at the default of "ON"...which means that I want the mix to always be active! (I want the gear channel servo to do what the flap channel servo is doing at all times!) Then I had to do one more thing -- I had to set an offset of +100 percent to get the right flap to line up with the left flap. And now it works just fine...at flap switch position "0", both flaps go up (faired with the wing), and at flap position "1", both flaps go to half-down, and at flap position "2", both flaps go full down.

Here's what the mix screen looks like:

[PROG.MIX1]
FLAP->GEAR ON
RATE: +100%
-100%
SW:ON
>OFFSET:+100%

And here's what the flap setup screen looks like:

[FLAP SYS.] NORM
FLAP ELEV
NORM 0% 0
MID >DN 50% 0
LAND DN100% 0
AUTO INH

I didn't need to reverse any servos (which surprised me, I thought I would want to reverse the gear-channel servo). And there are no other active mixes.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:50 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Success!

Herk - thanks so much for your settings. Using your settings (with a minor tweak) made it all work. I can't thank you enough.

I can't tell you how long I have been trying to make that work.

Thanks again,
Jon
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:02 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
On the DX7 useing Aileron and Aux 1 you will automatically get a "Flaps Menu" when you activate "Flapperons" in the system menu That will let you set up the Flight mode switch with elevator correction and such.
I know it's a bit late now. But just thought I'd share.
PAX
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton