Old Mar 02, 2010, 10:25 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
Silent-AV8R,

I've been lead to believe that the longer the run, the bigger the ga wire you need,
In general that is correct. But for our relatively low voltages and current loads it makes a smaller difference. For gliders you will hardly notice the difference between say 22 and 20 ga wire. 24 and 20, maybe. 24 and 18 probably. And that is on the power lines to the servos.

You can play with some of the voltage loss calculators online to get a feel for how small the losses can be. I just shoot for 22 or 20 and don't worry after that.

From the pack to RX like I said I like to see 18 or 20, maybe even 16.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 11:56 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,113 Posts
Thanks guys,

That's all great information! Does anyone have or know where to find the weight of each gauge wire per foot or meter?
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:04 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
Thanks guys,

That's all great information! Does anyone have or know where to find the weight of each gauge wire per foot or meter?
LOL, you sound just like a guy I know really, really well ...

I have that info, just on a different comp... right now on laptop in garage working on new plane.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:10 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,113 Posts
LOL Tuan,

You mean that I'm not the only OCD/AR perfectionist?
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:51 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,208 Posts
Here ya go, a collection of info over the last couple years. I just took a screen shot of a spreadsheet I made for estimating mass. My scale is only good to +- .1g. I also have weights of RX's and other stuff too, but the picture would get too big.
Last edited by fnnwizard; Mar 03, 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:18 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,113 Posts
Tuan,

I love it! Keep em coming. What great detail. Reminds me of all the records I kept building my Merlin bicycle. I need to start weighing all my R/C parts & keeping them in an Xcel spreadsheet like I did with my bike.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 05:44 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,548 Posts
Wow guys, should have turned on the computer during the Southland marathon last night. Tuan's schematic is correct for what I am doing. In the wing, each servo has dedicated 22 gauge wire leads on power and 28 on signal.

And I know that the whole harness thing is an experiment, I have an evil Bubba that put a seed in my head about a month ago about all this, but who knows. I might have more power to my servos than you, you will always be wondering.

Thanks for the help on the chart and schematic, great help.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Mar 03, 2010, 05:31 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,430 Posts
Wow. Someone once told me I needed help...I can safely say I'm no longer overly obsessive about my builds. By comparison, my worries are minor.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 03, 2010, 05:58 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,208 Posts
The spreadsheet was just for me to get more accurate at estimating AUW once I weigh the empty airframe. I started doing this after consistantly getting estimates wrong in my builds. Of course CG has about 1-2 ounce to do with it.

I have about 2 sheets with other stuff like rx's, servo frames, screws, carbon rods, etc. If anyone wants a copy just pm me your email.

I'll clean it up some and reorganize so its easier to use.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 06:09 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
You guys are both certifiable, but Tuan is definitely more so. Still Watson, you shouldn't feel any better. Tuan is just that nuts.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Quote:
You guys are both certifiable, but Tuan is definitely more so.
I used to tease Tuan about his detail in his builds, but I realized that he feeds on it. So now I just laugh. But before you know it he'll be explaining to his wife why he needs an electron microscope to install his wing servos correctly.

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:45 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,294 Posts
You want some fun take a few minutes to chat with DP and a few other top guys about their feelings about AUW, etc.

And Tuan - you do statically balance your planes laterally, don't you?? If not, consider that an asymmetrical weight distribution about the roll axis can be a killer. It can introduce an undamped roll hysteresis that can wreak havoc with a good setup!!
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:27 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
And Tuan - you do statically balance your planes laterally, don't you?? If not, consider that an asymmetrical weight distribution about the roll axis can be a killer. It can introduce an undamped roll hysteresis that can wreak havoc with a good setup!!
That's just mean.
dlgdude is online now Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:49 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,208 Posts
Ok guys, I gotta put my foot down and say... I can't help it... I'm just a numbers crunching type.

Every gram I can save where I don't need the weight, I can put it where it may be needed... like in the rds system .

I'd like to think the plane flies better... let me feed my obsession without ridicule, please.

And I do balance laterally... and chordwise too (like in heli blades), that way in the dip/pull out the force is equal along the wing so there is no tendency to twist due to the possibility of a miniscule lag in alpha. Ok, I just made that up... .

I know... I know... if I can't hit the landing target on time, none of this matters... which brings up something I had forgotten...

Clay, how much do I owe you for landing points again?

Back to the very messy garage, uh... I mean lab.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:17 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,294 Posts
Oooh, chordwise, I never thought of that!!

But I should not kid you. I use di-lithium torque lubricant on my wing bolts to distribute the stress field uniformly cross the flex modulus of the wing skin.

But all kidding aside, whatever you do that makes you feel better about what your plane does is not wasted effort for you if you are more confident about how it flies. This is a hobby after all and half the fun is the tinkering.
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Mar 04, 2010 at 08:10 AM.