HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Ville,
You cannot imagine how many times I have drawn the diagram of this set up to make sure that I did it right, cause I was really scared of doing it wrong. You would never know that I work with electric utilities would ya. I will do a drawing and have my wife scan it at work and then get it on here next week.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,747 Posts
Aggie wiring 101... Nice job Marc.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:52 PM
Joined Jan 2010
13 Posts
Marc,
I really like the way you did your wiring, nice job! I have never built my own skeg, but always wanted to learn how. Can you keep showing the steps as you build yours?

Thanks,
Neal
Soaring_s is offline Find More Posts by Soaring_s
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Jack, my knowledge of electricity would fit in a bottlecap, but do not tell anyone that. No problem Neal, will do.

Marc
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
This is the second installment of making the skeg. Everything is below that matters, the one thing, I am using carbon and fiberglass tube in this fabrication, have no clue what brand it is, got it in a LHS. I know that Aerospace and CST both have it. The epoxy is a West System product used straight, I warm it a bit to thin it to wet out the cloth, but no chemical thinning.

Got some things to do tomorrow, will pick up again Sunday, cut the tooth, attach it, fillet it smooth and then glass it in with CA and 3M 77.

Marc
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,109 Posts
Looking good Marc. Did you wax the fuse &/or use a mold release under the condom?
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:59 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Just condom straight, and actually, after cleaning up the first layer, you could feel it was loose then.

Marc
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,109 Posts
Thanks Marc.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
13 Posts
Marc,
Thanks for showing the steps on how you make a skeg. Looks great.

Neal
Soaring_s is offline Find More Posts by Soaring_s
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Skeg continued. Today, it will basically be done. First, I cut off the closed end of the carbon tube and cleaned up the carbon tube to rough smooth (real oxymoron there huh). At this point I will decide a shape, which is up to you not me, and i cut a plywood main keel and two sides from phenolic to guts it up. I shaped this a bit to a rough airfoil shape, and a contour to fit the fuse and glued it on with black CA (epoxy if fine, this just makes things go faster and black CA is really strong stuff). I also used the black CA and accelerator to form a fillet on each side that I cleaned up with a rat tail file.

At this point we are ready to apply the last two layers of fiberglass to skeg assembly. I am using 3 oz. crows foot weave glass, it is very drapable, that means it goes around forms and such really easy. I cut a piece large enough to easily cover half the skeg, the right or left one, and after a quick light layer of 3M 77 spray adhesive, I lay that over the above mentioned half and smooth it out. At this point, and a major disclaimer here***, I use thin regular CA and wet out the glass. It is not important that it is exactly wetted to the half lines, but I usually go past the half line myself just a bit. After it dries, I use a good razor, trim off the excess and then sand smooth the edge line. This is repeated three more times, alternating one side then the other and so on till you have two layers overlapping each other as theouter layer of the skeg.

The glass really ties in the plywood/phenolic assembly and it gives you a great base to sand out to smooth to finish the skeg, either unpainted or painted as your taste may be. It will take two pages to show all the pics, but enough here.

Marc

***When using thin CA as I am here, use a well ventilated room.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Just the continuation of the pics to finish what was stated above. The last pic shows the skeg after a bit of clean up and at this point ready for finish sanding and shaping to whatever shape you want, there are as many skeg shapes as there are pilots. The skeg itself I am finished with, but the fuse side of the assembly can be a number of ways.

Marc
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:57 PM
Joined May 2003
62 Posts
skegs (How it's Made)

Thank you for all the info and pictures.

peterkim2
peterkim2 is offline Find More Posts by peterkim2
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,109 Posts
Thanks Marc,

Looking good. Are you going to add some nose art like shark teeth?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,747 Posts
As good as you are with those skegs... you could probably make a nice set of winglets!

Lookin' good!

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:39 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
297 Posts
I did a similar process when I made the skeg for the Eraser:
See post #26 and #42
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1165202&page=2
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1165202&page=3

Scotty