HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:53 AM
Registered User
Mark Miller's Avatar
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
I tried 116 and found that it took way more pilot input to fly well especially in windy conditions. I am around 108 and have liked it there.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:32 AM
Registered User
R.M. Gellart's Avatar
Joined Nov 2005
3,528 Posts
I am at ~117-8mm myself, and that is moving conservative from where I started.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:31 AM
ROV Pilot
jijohans's Avatar
Norway
Joined May 2002
469 Posts
How do you guys set the neutral for the elevator? 0 degree to the wing or a measurement from the fusebottom?
jijohans is offline Find More Posts by jijohans
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:37 AM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijohans View Post
How do you guys set the neutral for the elevator? 0 degree to the wing or a measurement from the fusebottom?
I think most of us just make a few hand launches and adjust if necessary. Then go towing. Elevator position depends on CG (and hook in launch) but it is not that critical if you are just testing.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:30 AM
ROV Pilot
jijohans's Avatar
Norway
Joined May 2002
469 Posts
Yeah I know, but a starting point relative to the recomended CG would have been great...
jijohans is offline Find More Posts by jijohans
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:14 PM
Late for work again!
Gary Binnie's Avatar
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,807 Posts
It's a fair point.

Samba instructions often give a starting point for the elevator position, Heino knows that you will test glide before putting it on the winch.

I can give you a dimension for a 116 mm C of G if you need one.

I guessed the initial position which was too nose down (better that way!) and after three more hand glides and a tweak of the sub trim I put it on the winch, not moved the neutral since.

Having had an elevator servo slip at a comp (horn/servo mismatch by a previous owner of my Pike Superior) I now stick a thin tape line on the fin for a quick glance check to make sure all is well. You can see the principle in the photos of an Open class soarer that I built a couple of years ago. On the Tragi I just put a very short line on the fin leading edge on the left side only, to line up with the stab leading edge centre.

It's a common idea used on older jet fighters, as groundcrew I often directed the pilot to trim the stab to the take-off position (mostly done through fly-by-wire computers nowadays).

Not sure if I posted about my 801X in here before, 61 ounces and pretty floaty with no ballast!

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:27 PM
Registered User
King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijohans View Post
How do you guys set the neutral for the elevator? 0 degree to the wing or a measurement from the fusebottom?

Hi,

For my initial setup for all my F3J planes (full flying stab)....I set the wing to 0 Degrees...then I set the elevator to +.5 to +1.0 (up). This has always given me a safe launch for final trimming. I do not throw it before the winch launch (broke a nose off of a plane many years ago and stopped doing it). My first launch is always without launch camber....

Hope this helps

John
bitzerj is offline Find More Posts by bitzerj
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:34 AM
ROV Pilot
jijohans's Avatar
Norway
Joined May 2002
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Binnie View Post
It's a fair point.

Samba instructions often give a starting point for the elevator position, Heino knows that you will test glide before putting it on the winch.

I can give you a dimension for a 116 mm C of G if you need one.

I guessed the initial position which was too nose down (better that way!) and after three more hand glides and a tweak of the sub trim I put it on the winch, not moved the neutral since.

Not sure if I posted about my 801X in here before, 61 ounces and pretty floaty with no ballast!

Cheers

Gary
Yes, please.. That would have been great....
jijohans is offline Find More Posts by jijohans
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:36 AM
ROV Pilot
jijohans's Avatar
Norway
Joined May 2002
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzerj View Post
Hi,

For my initial setup for all my F3J planes (full flying stab)....I set the wing to 0 Degrees...then I set the elevator to +.5 to +1.0 (up). This has always given me a safe launch for final trimming. I do not throw it before the winch launch (broke a nose off of a plane many years ago and stopped doing it). My first launch is always without launch camber....

Hope this helps

John
Agree with that... I'm not a fan of hand launches... Have also sent a mail to Heino, will se what he says...
jijohans is offline Find More Posts by jijohans
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:05 AM
Late for work again!
Gary Binnie's Avatar
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,807 Posts
Ok, will do some measuring this evening.

GB
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:42 PM
Late for work again!
Gary Binnie's Avatar
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,807 Posts
Stab settings

Okey doke, I risked life and limb and used the kitchen worktop for some measuring!!

With the fuselage resting on the hook and extreme tail end I fitted one half of the stab (to stop the drive pin rocking) and switched the radio on.

Using the depth gauge end of a Vernier caliper I got these numbers (from the top of the drive pin down to the worktop).

Cruise and Launch mode: 126.2 mm (the pin appears nearer the top of the slot than the bottom).

Thermal: 127.7 mm

Speed: 125.9 mm (much the same as Cruise and Launch)

Land: Not measured but I think it's the same as cruise.

Full crow brake elevator compensation: 122 mm

It looks like 126 mm would be a good starting point.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:05 PM
ROV Pilot
jijohans's Avatar
Norway
Joined May 2002
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Binnie View Post
Okey doke, I risked life and limb and used the kitchen worktop for some measuring!!

With the fuselage resting on the hook and extreme tail end I fitted one half of the stab (to stop the drive pin rocking) and switched the radio on.

Using the depth gauge end of a Vernier caliper I got these numbers (from the top of the drive pin down to the worktop).

Cruise and Launch mode: 126.2 mm (the pin appears nearer the top of the slot than the bottom).

Thermal: 127.7 mm

Speed: 125.9 mm (much the same as Cruise and Launch)

Land: Not measured but I think it's the same as cruise.

Full crow brake elevator compensation: 122 mm

It looks like 126 mm would be a good starting point.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Gary
Thank you very much..
Did talk with Heino, and he said the drive linkage pin in the middle of the slot... Will check on my model when I get home from work...
jijohans is offline Find More Posts by jijohans
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Speed 2.0M from F3x.com paladindg Slope 32 Jun 08, 2007 11:15 AM
Discussion V2 from f3x.com - Opinions. hanknmorgan Slope 40 Feb 07, 2006 05:43 PM
Mini NYX at F3X.com banknyank Electric Sailplanes 6 Sep 23, 2002 02:35 AM
Anyone else having problems getting to F3X.com? GregG Electric Sailplanes 5 Jun 22, 2001 02:17 AM
F3X.com Introduction F3X Electric Sailplanes 6 Jun 16, 2001 12:03 AM