919 Posts
Nice.....

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:22 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,546 Posts
Good work BK, did some work this weekend, was sick last week. I got the servo bays opened, the antenna tube pulled out, and the servo tray cut to shape and the servo openings cut. Since I am waiting on the High Voltage 378's and 388's, nothing is mountable yet. Hopefully, I run down some more 18 gauge wire to rework the fuse wire harness and change out the signal wires with 28 gauge stuff.

More to come, am interested in hearing what bare airframes weights have been running for folks, please post if you have yours.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:49 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
2K and you have to cut your own servo bays?

I hope that means the horn locations aren't pre determined, and at least you can select where exactly the servos go?

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:13 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
2K and you have to cut your own servo bays?

I hope that means the horn locations aren't pre determined, and at least you can select where exactly the servos go?

R,
Target
He just means that you have to cut out the thin skin over where the servo bay is. This is pretty typical. From the pics it looks like the holes for the horn are pre-drilled. This is more than was done on the Freestlyer and that was well over $2K.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:42 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
There are depressions molded in the wing skins for the servo openings and inside the depression is an etched outline of where you cut the actual hole. So the servo covers will be flush with the wing skin. Control horn holes are predrilled to correcty depth and wiper is pre-cut for clevis clearence. So on flaps all you do is cut out wing skin for servo access, cut trailing edge upper skin for clevis clearance (using a template), glue in servos and then glue in horns using pushrods (pre-made) to align horn. It was quite easy.

After much reading on RC Groups, I added a full height balsa block between the spar and servo frame to lock servo against spar. Not sure if it's necessary as there are foam sub-ribs on each side of each servo well to damping skin flex-just seemed like a good idea and I want this thing to last. Might have added a few grams but again-I wanted strength. This was the only "mod" I did to the kit.

Ailerons are bottom driven so even faster-just glue in servo and glue in horn (make sure you use the pushrod to align the hole on the horn-I didn't and there is a bit of a bind on one of the aileron horns). Aileron servo covers also cover the pushrod and have a depression molded in the wing for the entire servo cover-I thought that was a nice touch but maybe common place. I'll take a pic of those when they are done.

Servo tray is now in (the correct way!!) and the aircraft is ready to balance and progrom. All in all rather straight forward and easy. And it has been "christened" without dropping a hammer on it-I banged the rudder tip on the cieling of my Man-Cave while moving the fuse around and creased the very top of the rudder-bummer but now I'm done freaking about it being perfect.

A question: with a small crease in the rudder (hollow molded glass over balsa), should I just wick some thin CA in there to repair? Or?

Thanks,
BK
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,546 Posts
Try to get some pics this evening, one thing that has impressed me is the fit of the spar in the wing. So many airframes have at least spoog on one side of the spar and maybe both, not on this ship. The spar is an exact fit, not quite seen that before. Also, the hinging of the ship is entirely silicone, no kevlar here, and the neat part here is that you cannot hardly feel the hinge line when you run your finger across it. Just a few nice touches from Tragi.

BK, that fix will work, but if it is not too much, a good piece of tape could also do just fine too.

Marc
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:10 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,499 Posts
my 704 has silicone hinges too. quite unusual but done very well.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:51 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,546 Posts
Here are a few more pics of odds-n-ends. Tried to get a pic of the hole where the antenna tube exits the rudder post, but could not get a good focus on it while trying to hold the fuse.

Marc
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:34 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
Silicone hinges-now it makes sense. There was a smooth bead of something along the inside of each hinge line-didn't make the silicone connection-thought it was some sort of protector or something for the live hinge. But if those are silicone you certainly wouldn't know it from the outside-super smooth and straight.

I can't see the spars anymore inside the servo holes as I glued balsa blocks in there but I remember thinking they had gone to quite a bit of extra work to get the spar and skins bonded. A few other airplanes I've had showed extra splooge squeezed out from this joing-on the Tragi it looks like they wrapped a layer of cloth from the top skin, down along the spar to the other skin. Feels like peel ply was applied-not sure if they use a roller on a stick to get it laid down but it sure looks very clean.

It's those sort of details that make me appreciate the price of this thing........

BK
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belouder View Post

It's those sort of details that make me appreciate the price of this thing........

BK
BK,
This is the exact kind of thing that separates Tragi for the others, you do get what you pay for, Quality is what Tragi is known for. It is what is inside that makes all the difference Tragi is not just another pretty face

Glad to see that you guys notice the difference

sj
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:39 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
Oh and I didn't weigh the airframe prio to loading it up with glue and stuff......I tend to not want to know so I don't get seriously bummed when it's all said and done. But I'll weigh it when finished just so folks will know. Just don't expect much!!

BK
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:50 PM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belouder View Post
Oh and I didn't weigh the airframe prio to loading it up with glue and stuff......I tend to not want to know so I don't get seriously bummed when it's all said and done. But I'll weigh it when finished just so folks will know. Just don't expect much!!

BK
BK,

no worries you will be in 67-68oz ez

sj
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:06 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
Marc,
It looks like you moved the DB-9 connector on the fuse-yes? or?
BK
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:34 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,546 Posts
Actually, they had two scribed plug outlines but only one set of holes, and that is where it was cut, that is the only goof I have seen on the ship.

Marc
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:22 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
More stuff finished:

Radio layout in fuse-pretty straight forward. Air 761, JR 921 w/remote, JR Data thingy, JR heavy duty switch, 1500 mHa 5 cel battery. Used the black CA for the first time-I think I'll buy a couple of gallons of that stuff-works on everything!!.

Pushrods were easy-just taped the rudder and stabs in place (the back end connections are completed from Tragi), put clevis' and threaded adapter on servo horn, mark carbon pushrod, cut, paint glue on pushrod, stuff in hole, go watch a few rounds of "snowboard cross" (whatever that is) at the Olympics, and it's done.

Balanced at 117 using 22 grams of lead shot in a ballon stuffed in the nose (the 4 year old kept making off with the ballon!!). Copied my friend Mark's Tragi program onto my 9303, set subtrims, done.

Probably the most involved and intricate operation of this whole build was cutting the servo covers. Too much left for lowly me to screw up. So I waited until both boys were taking their naps and went at it. Taped out scribe marks outlining all cuts on wing, taped cover in place and transfered scribe marks, cut out scribe marks, sanded to fit, taped in place. 15 minutes-whew-and the boys are still asleep so I can sit for a bit........nice.

That was yesterday. Today I loaded the plane in the car, picked up #2 from a "playdate" (ain't modern living great-we have to schedule our kids play time!!) and headed to our oaisis in cow patty land. 43 degrees, wind 5 knotts from the north, boys throwing rocks at the canadian geese in the pond. Two hand tosses said I needed a bunch of up trim (or tail heavy). Got it settled down and sent it up on a gentle winch launch (fully puckered-this thing ate up all my "hobby" funds). After more up trim, plane is sweet. Did some turns, went up, stayed up, someone fell in the pond, came down, landed, dry clothes in the car-no actually no one fell in-they had their own chuck-it gliders to break.

One more launch and the boys need to head home. Nice. Not enough focused air time to get an impression other than it seems to be very nimble and stops in the air when you put full flaps down. Just enough flying to know I need to mellow out some throws and take some time to fine tune-probably will add nose weight to 114 for now.

BK