Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
It has more balsa than the Icon 2...
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Well, if things workout, hopefully tomorrrow will be day one. Weather looks nice and I have the time I hope. If not Sunday is a club contest in Dayton so that will suffice if needed for inagural flight. And hey, I am walking on two shoes now, so that kind of helps too.

Marc
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:56 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Well, if things workout, hopefully tomorrrow will be day one. Weather looks nice and I have the time I hope. If not Sunday is a club contest in Dayton so that will suffice if needed for inagural flight. And hey, I am walking on two shoes now, so that kind of helps too.

Marc
Good , gl too .
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:26 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Did get couple of flights in, went well, got a couple of things to work on but a start. Radio set up seems to work good on range. More hopefully Sunday at Dayton if weather holds.

Marc
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:31 AM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Did get couple of flights in, went well, got a couple of things to work on but a start. Radio set up seems to work good on range. More hopefully Sunday at Dayton if weather holds.

Marc
Rain, winds 15-20, gusting to 30. Bring ballast.

Ed
Ed Franz is online now Find More Posts by Ed Franz
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:17 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Actually, got in nine flights Firday afternoon, since Sunday looks bad. I like what I see, speed range is great and really can slow down. Biggest single quirk compared to other ships is big flaps and getting the comp set up, was adding to my base set up every flight and still not where I want it, but that is OK, will get there. It was overcast, no real air, but last flight worked my first piece with it froma start of about 100' and went for about 10 minutes, was very nice, felt light and I like how well the rudder works. I am flying at 118 mm and that seems maybe a bit afty, but I am going to leave it for now. Photos courtesy of Tom Kallevang.

Marc
Last edited by R.M. Gellart; Apr 25, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:50 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
364 Posts
SASS contest this weekend at Carnation Farms (our new field!!). I won't comment on my performance, just to say that it certainly wasn't the aircraft that impeded me!!! Dave Friant brought a little "key chain" camera and we taped it to the top of the wing for a flight. I made my time but the landing........

Here's the video. Next time we'll point it backwards. $6 dollar camera.

Tragi at Korey Farms (9 min 59 sec)

BK
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
13 Posts
Nice video, what kind of camera did you use for $6?

Neal
Soaring_s is offline Find More Posts by Soaring_s
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:15 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Marc, I've been working on my launch tech, and can really use some help. Can you teach me the steps of the "cluster launch"

Congrats! I'm sure she'll treat you sweetly.....
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,746 Posts
Congrats on getting her in the air... I just had a thought, though... yeah I know...... Since the Xplorer's name has had a bit of a transformation on these boards... (XploDer)... What will we call the Cluster?
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:05 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
364 Posts
Kluhster #$%!

$6 camera is at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150426136578

Needs a memory chip-$16 at Frye's or the eBay venor that sells the camera will sell you one.

My launching (not pro at all, just works for me)-setup as per Tragi instructions although I pushed the tow hook a bit forward-not sure how much, need to measure-I'll work on moving it back soon. Hook up, load up plenty of line tension and throw (I've been working on throwing straight-finally getting it sorted). Stand on pedal even with light headwind. Up she goes nice and straight. When the winch starts to stall I flip into reflex and do a dip-I try not to go below horizontal. My thoughts are that with line tension built up, you get more forward energy by staying horizontal (or just below) rather than a dramatic down angle. About 1/2 second and rotate to near vertical and just before energy bleeds off push it over. I'm still learning these moldies but this Tragi thing seems to track so well on launch and hold energy when released that it has allowed me to find tune. Still have a ways to go but she sure does it nice. And even in 10+ kts you can honk it up with no worries on wing faliure. It is really strong.

BK
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:16 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
That vandal is going to need a little more tape for his field edit this time. He might need some black censorship tape to keep the masses from being offended
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:29 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Like the video, especially the pic of you in dismay over the missed landing...

Um, perhaps some right turning practice is in order....I am still dizzy from the left only circling

Awesome field.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B