SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:53 PM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
Marc,
What you will find is a model that launches really well and is FAST off the start (something needed for 1 second tows in F3J). Use the included throws and CG for a start. The LD is good to very good at the dry weight and this is a nice surprise because I like a model that can move out. I havent used the ballast yet so I can't report.

I found thermalling is improved with less elevator throw than I usually use so a short servo arm is helpful for good resolution.

Landing is really super, you can slow it down, speed it back up w/o falling out of the sky. A nice plus coming from the NYX and Zenith's. I found 1/3 flap is all that's needed right up to the last 3 seconds. I haven't practiced TD for a while but with the 801 I took some wood in 4 of 4 comps in SoCal. 2 being SC2 and 2 TPG monthly comps. Not too bad for an old TD Has-been!

Jared: The 801 is a clean sheet design and shares only the Tragi quality with the 705.
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:29 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
I shot a fast camber number, about 2.9%, but I am guessing that is high. I do have a source to contact to hopefully fill in some info on the airfoil and it's heritage.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Marc,

Congrats on a truly beautiful model. But... did you have to post this and make me add yet another to my wish list... this could get REAL expensive...

I will probably be a customer of F3X, soon... WOW!!!

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:43 PM
sammamish, WA
Joined Nov 2005
9 Posts
Marc,
I have been flying the 801 since July of last year. I was lucky enough to get one of the first 4 planes shipped to the U.S. It is indeed a fantastic plane in any respect you care to name. I have had a couple of communications with one of Heino's test pilots concerning several of the design attributes of the 801. I asked for info on the airfoil. Below is his reply. Good luck with your build. You will love the way it flies!

Cheers
Mark

"801 has in fact six or seven different modifications of the airfoil but on the level of big figures it is as following:

Airfoil HX 29 2686, camber 2,59%, thickness 8,60%."
drdualee is offline Find More Posts by drdualee
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:48 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Mark stated:
"801 has in fact six or seven different modifications of the airfoil but on the level of big figures it is as following:

Airfoil HX 29 2686, camber 2,59%, thickness 8,60%."

Appreciate it Mark for the numbers, I knew mine were on the rough-high side and were only one station. It is obvious that there is a lot of tweaking going on in the wing and it looks thicker than 8.60%, but this is really redneck measuring, micrometer and a meter stick. My kind of accuracy.

Also Dave Hauch has been feeding me some flight information from you guys in the Northwest and it really sounded very good!

Marc
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:56 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,439 Posts
whaa!! whooo!

just finished one up and hit 66.75 oz. AUW, at a 114mm c/g.

this c/g is a little forward then some (customers request), i was hoping to still get in the 66 oz. range.

dave hauch www.rc-builds.com
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Last edited by dhauch; Feb 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:12 AM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,439 Posts
still had to put 1.3 oz. of nose weight in this to balance.

i was able to take 3 oz. of weight out of the gear, compared to the last one i built for him.

i'm guessing different color paint makes a difference in weight ????

Tom Copp, i'm sure you have weighed alot of planes in your days, have you seen that certain colors
are lighter weight then others ? just curious.
seems like yellows come out light...

thx,

dave
Last edited by dhauch; Feb 10, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:00 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
Just starting to put together my 801. Very nice finish, very nice fit-hopefully I won't drop a hammer on it......

Following directions (I don't do a lot of builds-this being my second moldie)-it calls for just gluing the control horns into the pre-drilled (but not tapped) holes. Did anyone do anything different?

Thanks,
BK
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
I have not gotten that far BK, but PM Dave and he will tell ya.

Marc
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belouder View Post
Just starting to put together my 801. Very nice finish, very nice fit-hopefully I won't drop a hammer on it......

Following directions (I don't do a lot of builds-this being my second moldie)-it calls for just gluing the control horns into the pre-drilled (but not tapped) holes. Did anyone do anything different?

Thanks,
BK
just glue them in.

dave
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:32 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
Thanks Dave-yer the bomb!!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:33 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
Two wing tips done-no hammer marks......

BK
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:40 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,108 Posts
Pics, guys!!!!!
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:32 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
Here's two pics-the bottom side of the wing (aileron servos are in) and a closeup of one aileron servo. I'm building it "rock stock" as per the instructions........hammer has been moved to the garage.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:02 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
I have seen Tragi 801 Cluster fly. It looked like being the kind of F3J planes, that benefit from agressive flying. Turns quick and penetrates well. Make me want one

Can ayone post a good pic of the ballast system? How ballast is loaded in, and how to change amount of ballast. The cabin area behind servos looks little crowded...
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo