HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by tking2097, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:06 AM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy Servo Speed & Direction Regulator Information & Diagram

Hobby City now has a small servo speed and direction regulator circuit for about $7.50USD. This is the perfect device to add realism to flap and landing gear operation of RC aircraft. At this price, the addition of realistic flap and landing gear operations for RC aircraft is a real "no-brainer"!

The device takes 1 channel from your receiver as input (usually flaps or gear), and provides 3 identical slow-speed outputs for servos, CH1, CH2 and CH3. The servo speed for all 3 outputs is adjustable for each direction of servo movement. So it is possible to have flaps retract faster than they deploy, for example. The CH3 servo output direction is reversible.

Features

Input: Single channel from receiver, usually Flaps or Landing Gear.

Outputs: 3 slow speed servo outputs, CH1, CH2 and CH3.
CH3 servo direction is reversible.

Independent servo speed adjustment for each direction of servo travel.
(SW1 sets Direction A speed adjust, SW2 sets Direction B speed adjust).

Regulator adjustments

SW1: Sets servo direction A speed for all 3 servo outputs, CH1, CH2 and CH3.
SW2: Sets servo direction B speed for all 3 servo outputs, CH1, CH2 and CH3.
SW3: Sets Normal or Reverses direction for CH3 output ONLY.

Note that the device does not provide for servo end-point adjustments. So if you wish to use your transmitter to adjust individual endpoints for 2 flap servos, for example, you need to use two regulator devices, one for each servo.

The input connections for the regulator consist of three pins, similar to the connection for each channel of a typical receiver (see diagram below). So, to connect the Turnigy regulator to the receiver, you can plug one end of a servo extension wire of the required length into the receiver. The other end of the servo extension cable will need to be soldered to the regulator board input pins, or a 3-pin Female servo connector can to be added to the regulator input end of the extension cable. Personally, I find it easiest and fastest to simply cut one connector off the end of a servo extension cable, prepare the end for soldering, and solder the 3 wires to the regulator input pins.

That all there is to it! Like me, you may wish to keep a couple of the Turnigy devices handy for the next build!

The diagram below provides:

1. Block diagram
2. Readable size for front and back labels.
3. Illustrates SW1, SW2 and SW3 settings
4. Receiver and Servo connections example for slowing down flaps.
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Last edited by tking2097; Feb 07, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:02 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Thanks for this, I'm about to set up landing gear speed on a new scale model I'm working on. The instructions were very sparse, a quick search revealed your blog post, thanks so much!

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old May 01, 2010, 02:45 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
great
and if i want to have two servos, both should be slowed down and one of them should be reversed, what to do?
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:25 AM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun View Post
great
and if i want to have two servos, both should be slowed down and one of them should be reversed, what to do?
Connect 1st servo to channel 1.
Connect 2nd servo to channel 3, and set channel 3 to the reverse direction.

Channel 3 is the only output channel that can be set to either normal or reverse direction.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 02:24 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Nice work. How does she fly with the cockpit open, does it not blow off, or increase the drag allot?
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post
Nice work. How does she fly with the cockpit open, does it not blow off, or increase the drag allot?
Thanks, it is really nice to have the mods. People at the flying field really take more notice of the T-28 these days!

I have not noticed additional drag from the open cockpit, but I do have a bit of extra top-end available on the throttle, since I upgraded the stock motor to a Turnigy 3536C 1100kv brushless motor. I may be compensating for a bit of extra drag without taking notice of it. The motor upgrade also gives a much needed boost to the vertical climb capability, which I found very lacking with the stock version. A vertical corkscrew maneuver sure looks good now!

The canopy does not blow off. This canopy has a snug fit which helps, but the rare-earth magnet does a good job of holding the rear of the canopy down. If this became an issue, I would likely just put in a larger rare-earth magnet.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:07 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
End point adjustments would be a new feature to stop the retract servo's from binding.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:57 AM
I've reached my critical AoA
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
I read in a post somewhere that this is not reccomended for a dx6i. Does anyone know why? I have a DX7 and a Parkzone Stinson Reliant SR-10 I want to use it on to make the flaps more realistic.
G-Man is offline Find More Posts by G-Man
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:14 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
This gadget kicks ass on my DX7 and electric retracts. staggers them up and down.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:37 PM
United States, CA, Pomona
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, the DX7 has speed regulation built in, doesn't it? This means you do not have to use the servo regulator.
jmscott31 is offline Find More Posts by jmscott31
Old Jun 02, 2011, 07:57 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
you are mistaken.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early