HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2010, 08:49 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
Rick, there was a LOT wrong w/ the flight log- Including the fact that I only took off once and it shows twice. I'm not a great heli flyer, but believe me when I tell you that when it started to the right I started giving it left. And a Trex 450 pro is NOT a slow to respond heli.
There was nuthin' there.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
When a unit is defective, they provide a replacement fairly quickly.

I'm wondering if it showed a take off as a result of carrying the heli.

I run my 500 with no blades to check vibrations. Those logs usually show a take-off, too.

Sorry about the busted blades.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2010, 08:49 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,307 Posts
Rick, I think I mentioned- this was my 20th flight with the unit. I'm familiar with the basics.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
You carried the heli.

Is this the way you always start up?
The gyro needs to be quiet - unmoving for a few seconds before it arms.
When I start mine, the heli is in place before I turn on the power, then I don't touch the sticks or the heli until the head bumps and the LED turns green.

On the other hand, do you get the correct responses from the PC Setup software?

Blade uploaded your file for Skookum. They should get back with us next week. They can tell a lot about the heli from those files.

Rick
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2010, 08:54 PM
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,307 Posts
None of my other logs ( several of which you have seen ) show two takeoffs, even though I always pick it up off the table and set it on the ground before taking it off.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2010, 06:57 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,308 Posts
Trex 500 Mounting ?

I am thinking of getting a SK720 for my Trex 500 but I donít know where to mount it. If I mount it on top of the boom I wonít be able to hook up the USB cable.

How about some instillation photos.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 08, 2010, 07:32 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I am thinking of getting a SK720 for my Trex 500 but I donít know where to mount it. If I mount it on top of the boom I wonít be able to hook up the USB cable.

How about some instillation photos.

OK.

SK 720 is on bottom plate.
ICE 50 under battery tray.
CC BEC Pro under SK 720, bottom plate.
The second sat is INSIDE the frame, just forward of the SK 720. Note, that the frame is not conducting CF. I wanted my antennas out of the wind as much as possible.

Rick
Old May 08, 2010, 12:52 PM
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,307 Posts
OK, here ya go. I reloaded the firmware, and re-bound the satellites, AND fixed the heli ( main gear and blades ). Got three flights today and it's working perfect again. I want to feel good about it, but can't really with no explanation. Hopefully the skookum guys can look at the crash log and see what was up. Let me see what you think about this log- at the end was a nice high auto, boy it looks weird on the replay

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2010, 03:04 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Futaba 8FG - Canadaheliguy

This is a drawing worked out by a Futaba user.

Rick
Old May 08, 2010, 03:15 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
OK, here ya go. I reloaded the firmware, and re-bound the satellites, AND fixed the heli ( main gear and blades ). Got three flights today and it's working perfect again. I want to feel good about it, but can't really with no explanation. Hopefully the skookum guys can look at the crash log and see what was up. Let me see what you think about this log- at the end was a nice high auto, boy it looks weird on the replay

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Bill,

Glad to see your heli flying again.

Much too windy here to fly.

The replay looks a little odd because the flight recorder can't tell how high the heli is. Art said in his Inside Heli interview, that the upcoming GPS attachment would help with this.

If you have any more thoughts about the crash, please share them with us. Thanks.

Rick
Old May 08, 2010, 03:22 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,308 Posts
Quote:
This is a drawing worked out by a Futaba user.

Rick
On my T500 I donít need the 20 amp power buss and want to use the BEC built into the ESC with Futaba. I have it flying that way with a flybar and just want to wire in a SK720 using the simplest method.

Looks like if I run two wires (power and ground) from the receiver to the extra connector on the servo side of the SK720 that I would have it. What due you think?

Also is there any place that has them in stock or are they pre-order only?

Old May 08, 2010, 08:38 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
On my T500 I don’t need the 20 amp power buss and want to use the BEC built into the ESC with Futaba. I have it flying that way with a flybar and just want to wire in a SK720 using the simplest method.

Looks like if I run two wires (power and ground) from the receiver to the extra connector on the servo side of the SK720 that I would have it. What due you think?

Also is there any place that has them in stock or are they pre-order only?

You should really consider a separate BEC, or Rx battery. In one of Art's interviews on Inside Heli, he discussed the number of brown-outs they observed while developing their gyros.

I ran both power lines from the CC BEC Pro to the unused connectors on the 720.

Try this:

http://www.rchover.com/

Rick
Old May 09, 2010, 02:09 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,212 Posts
Looked like the software would run on my old laptop (Thinkpad 600 on Windows ME). Works good at most parts of the software, locks up on the setup wizards. Might have to get a newer model laptop, or install a newer Windows to use at the field.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 09, 2010, 04:24 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
What's the idea behind the collective mix for the tail? Mine had 20% by default.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old May 09, 2010, 05:23 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,308 Posts
Quote:
You should really consider a separate BEC, or Rx battery. In one of Art's interviews on Inside Heli, he discussed the number of brown-outs they observed while developing their gyros.
I gave up on Spektrum several years because of brown-out problem. I now fly only Futaba FASST and have never had a problem like that again.

The CC ICE series has the exact same BEC electronics as their separate 5 amp BEC as that wonít be a problem. I have hundreds of flights and it works perfectly on my T500. I will install an extra capacitor in the power line to the SK720 just to make sure that it does not see any voltage spikes.

I understand that the built in data logger records in-flight voltage. Has anyone used this feature?

Old May 09, 2010, 07:30 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
I gave up on Spektrum several years because of brown-out problem. I now fly only Futaba FASST and have never had a problem like that again.

The CC ICE series has the exact same BEC electronics as their separate 5 amp BEC as that wonít be a problem. I have hundreds of flights and it works perfectly on my T500. I will install an extra capacitor in the power line to the SK720 just to make sure that it does not see any voltage spikes.

I understand that the built in data logger records in-flight voltage. Has anyone used this feature?

It shows you the volts during flight playback. Resolution 0.1 volt.

Rick
Old May 09, 2010, 07:31 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 View Post
What's the idea behind the collective mix for the tail? Mine had 20% by default.
It gives the tail gyro a little help to counteract the torque during high collective.

Rick