Old May 04, 2012, 07:24 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
I also received mine.
Since NO S-bus adapter is required I assume you just plug the BEC into the S Bus receiver and use an open port on the 540 , other than the LED port .

Now that I've bought all the Beam FBL stuff I've kind of lost interest in the little heli again while wait. I need an FBL head for one on my TT E620se's. I can see them better
Sounds good.
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 11:03 PM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good.
Really ???

Quote:
Since NO S-bus adapter is required I assume you just plug the BEC into the S Bus receiver and use an open port on the 540
That sounds good ???
GetToDaChopper is offline Find More Posts by GetToDaChopper
Old May 05, 2012, 06:50 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetToDaChopper View Post
Really ???

That sounds good ???
No adaptor.
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old May 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Big fingers in small,tight places sucks

This is working out well on my setup.

I have a Castle P-45 esc and a Dimension Engineering BEC. The BEC differs from most as you can simply plug your non opto isolated ESC connector into connector pins provided on the BEC. You dont have to worry about disabling any built in BEC that your ESC may have.

This leaves an easy access point for Castle link programming .

All I have to do is plug in the connector from the BEC into the Sk540's throttle channel I/O as the throttle signal is now passed thru the BEC wire.

I can then use a jumper from the B Input/Output on the SK540 to my S-Bus Rx for a clean, single wire connection.
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old May 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,217 Posts
Nice work James! I am paying attention. Mine is being prepped for me and I should have it soon also. I decided to stuff it into my new 12s stretched 600. No need for self stab on that with those long 815s swinging away on it. Sadly I am using an opto isolated esc, the new yge knockoff. So your Bec setup wont work for me. No biggie.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old May 05, 2012, 04:40 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Luvmyhelis,
That BEC is the only one I have that allows you to plug the ESC directly into it. This is a little 450 so it would be fine with the built in BEC but I always use a stand alone one for good measure

The 540 install was a breeze. It took longer to take the old rx out. I dont have the wiring tidyed back up and havent stuck the 540 down yet as I cant decide for sure where I want it. I woud put it under the mast but seeing the status light and
plugging the USB cord might be abit of trouble. I think Im put it on for easy access and stick the RX on the bottom plate .

Do you use Futaba stuff on your helis? Im going to have a half dozen 617 2.4 Fasst receivers left over when
when I get everything flybarless and S- Bus enabled.
Old May 05, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,217 Posts
No, I am a Spektrum guy. This allows me to directly use their sats with the systems. Or clone sats. The cheapie HK orange sats work fantastic. One thing you can do on an inside mount Skookum is to pick up a motorolla 90deg usb port elbow. That redirects the port to the side so you can leave the elbow permanently attached to the Sk and then plug the usb chord in from the side. I saw one guy buy his at Amazon for a couple bucks. I paid far more for the three I use.
Old May 06, 2012, 08:38 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
No, I am a Spektrum guy. This allows me to directly use their sats with the systems. Or clone sats. The cheapie HK orange sats work fantastic. One thing you can do on an inside mount Skookum is to pick up a motorolla 90deg usb port elbow. That redirects the port to the side so you can leave the elbow permanently attached to the Sk and then plug the usb chord in from the side. I saw one guy buy his at Amazon for a couple bucks. I paid far more for the three I use.
Highly recommended "USB Mini-B Extensions" especially on Scale projects.......
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; May 06, 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: anal retentive correction
Old May 06, 2012, 09:01 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
I have a DX-7 too. I had to have it to take advantage of all the bind and fly goodies that are available.
I havent finished up with my SK540 install. Im having motivation problems since hot weather rolled in.
Old May 08, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Highly recommended "USB Mini-B Extensions" especially on Scale projects.......
Nice find! I can see why those would be priceless in a scale project.
Old May 08, 2012, 07:05 PM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
but just know that a "USB Mini-B Extensions" pluged in full time can be a convenience but can also end up being a sorce of vibration as well, just be careful how you use one........
Old May 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
:The Logo is logging low vibes w/ the 720. All smoothed out

The Beam is ready to boogie with the 540. No apparent vibes on the bench at all

And the Compass 7HV that I ordered before lunch today....they finally got stock on the kits with 700 blades and the new Compass El Brute motor is already in the UPS facility with free shipping

I need FBL controllers for my Outrage 550 and one of the TT E620SE's and I will be set...they will have to wait for a cash infusion

Looking at HV servos for the 7HV , Im not sure yet
Old May 08, 2012, 07:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
I have all the parts needed to start my T Rex 500 Pro build to replace my V2 lost in total destruction.

I have a couple extra TT bearings on hand too at the suggestion that adding another bearing will keep the vibes down.

I now very familiar with how the SL behaved on my other model, and was just used to the slight left drift in SL, so I think I'm going to conduct an experirment with this build. I plan on getting the gyro mounted in the built heli and then shimming the heli on its skids to obtain a perfectly level main shaft in all directions before resettting the gyro. Different methods of doing this have been discussed here, and I would like to know just what effect if any this would have. I'm starting from scratch anyway, so now seems like a good time to see exactly what if anything can be accomplished by doing this.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old May 08, 2012, 11:20 PM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
hmm interesting, i look forwards to seeing the results of this.......
Old May 09, 2012, 08:43 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Im supposed to get my Compass Atom 7Hv kit tomorrow. Ive been busy shopping.

Got another Sk 720 coming. a remote LED, and a soft switch power bus on the way too.

. Outrage 9180 HV swash servos are headed this way. I have an extra Futaba 251 for the tail but need to get an HV tail servo probably to avoid having to jump an ESC across the HV and LV power rails. Any other way to use a 6v tail servo.(not 6v rated or used to not be but they have worked for a long time on 6v for me so far)

Im on the fence about the ESC. A "dumb" Hobbywing 120HV that works well using the SK gov or a Kontronics Jive 120HV that cost a mortgage payment but has the sweet gov on its own. I have to think about that a whille.

I have an ammo can full of 6S packs but not many matching pairs..Not good for me...

More stuff needed Im sure