Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:54 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeflyer View Post
Rick,
I have measured the current draw from my SK-360 and digital servos when I had a CC bec 10A. It never went over 1.5 amps. I have searched and can't seem to find any large numbers for current draw on four digital 9152 servos, 401 gyro and SK.
Do you KNOW what the amp draw is for the SK-720? Or a total system draw?
Seems like you would get a little back on the 401 not being there, so you are saying that this thing will take 4 amps (leave a little for overhead)?
If I get this for the Logo, I can put the CC 10A back on if necessary, but it is nice to not need it.
The flight log will show you the voltage, but not the current draw.

I haven't run my Castle log yet, because I have to take the heli apart to get the connecting cable unconnected.

I am flying a T-Rex 500. I have the CC Ice 50 with the CC Pro. Everything is cool. The CC BEC does not provide a continues 10A. I use it on 450's and smaller.

The manual states 75mA, which is insignificant. Your servos will pull more current because they are doing a bit more work.

I'm not willing to trust my heli to 4 amps.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:54 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
What is the overall concept with the GPS add-on?
Art says that it will provide a stable hover.

Rick
Old Apr 20, 2010, 02:55 PM
Some fly...some don't.
USA, OH, Rock Creek
Joined Dec 2003
860 Posts
Rick,
I may have confused you, I re-read my post and I was confused.
I have and EagleTree which I used on the Logo when I had it running a HV85 and a seperate CC10A regulator. I put the FDR on the Rx pack and measured the currrent for the electronics that way. Now, I only sport fly so I don't guess my servo load would be anything like what you might get on a hard 3D flight.
With the draw of the 720 being so small, I think I would be OK with the ICE 5A BEC.
oldeflyer is offline Find More Posts by oldeflyer
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:32 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeflyer View Post
Rick,
I may have confused you, I re-read my post and I was confused.
I have and EagleTree which I used on the Logo when I had it running a HV85 and a seperate CC10A regulator. I put the FDR on the Rx pack and measured the currrent for the electronics that way. Now, I only sport fly so I don't guess my servo load would be anything like what you might get on a hard 3D flight.
With the draw of the 720 being so small, I think I would be OK with the ICE 5A BEC.
Sounds good. Let us know how it works out.

Rick
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:22 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Received my Sk-720 and satellite receivers today! Sweet! I guess I know what I'll be doing after work....

This makes for a nice little birthday gift to myself. Thanks to HeliPro5 for the fastest shipping ever!

Rick, per your post #53, you set up a multi-color status LED. I find it an odd omission to not include one in the package or perhaps integrate one like the Sk-360 does. I suppose I would rather have the unit sooner than wait for the inclusion of an LED. If you could elaborate on why this is not included I would appreciate it. Disregard. A remote LED would be nice and if one of my later setups makes it so I can't see the unit's on-board LED, I will wire a remote LED.

Please post a link to the LED that you used... thanks.

edit: It does have an integrated LED- I didn't realize it until I plugged in the USB cable to my PC and it started blinking green.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Last edited by Gadget01; Apr 21, 2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:33 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 View Post
Received my Sk-720 and satellite receivers today! Sweet! I guess I know what I'll be doing after work....

This makes for a nice little birthday gift to myself. Thanks to HeliPro5 for the fastest shipping ever!

Rick, per your post #53, you set up a multi-color status LED. I find it an odd omission to not include one in the package or perhaps integrate one like the Sk-360 does. I suppose I would rather have the unit sooner than wait for the inclusion of an LED. If you could elaborate on why this is not included I would appreciate it. Disregard. A remote LED would be nice and if one of my later setups makes it so I can't see the unit's on-board LED, I will wire a remote LED.

Please post a link to the LED that you used... thanks.

edit: It does have an integrated LED- I didn't realize it until I plugged in the USB cable to my PC and it started blinking green.
Yes, the unit does have a multi-color LED. I don't know why an external LED is not included.

I got my lamp from a local electronics store - Fry's. I'm sure you can find one like it.

Rick
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2006
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Yes, the unit does have a multi-color LED. I don't know why an external LED is not included.

I got my lamp from a local electronics store - Fry's. I'm sure you can find one like it.

Rick

That you have to pay extra for the external LED is fine to me as I see it as an "accessory".
But asking Customers to build their own, is a bid much for a unit in that price range.
I am fairly sure that they will offer this option soon, as the pressure was really on to get the unit onto the market.
By the time all the pre-orders and backlogs are cleared and the units can be purchased of the shelf, we will be a few months along.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the self levelling and external LED is available by then.
alfredh is offline Find More Posts by alfredh
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:44 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredh View Post
That you have to pay extra for the external LED is fine to me as I see it as an "accessory".
But asking Customers to build their own, is a bid much for a unit in that price range.
I am fairly sure that they will offer this option soon, as the pressure was really on to get the unit onto the market.
By the time all the pre-orders and backlogs are cleared and the units can be purchased of the shelf, we will be a few months along.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the self levelling and external LED is available by then.
The external LED is optional. The 720 contains a built-in red/green LED. The External LED mirrors the built-in LED. The LED cost me $1.69 plus a servo extension, shrink tube, and solder.

I have firmware 1.01 with the self-leveling turned back on. We will be testing it over the weekend.

I am interested in your comments after you get a chance to fly a unit.

Rick
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:02 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
I loaded the pre-built basic 3d setup file and adjusted it for my swash and servo setup. I still need to mount the Sk-720 and the power bus and wire them in... hopefully I can get that done early enough today to do a test hover before the daylight is gone.

I noticed some errors in the manual, p. 24. The diagram depicts a clockwise-rotation tail rotor. Most have a counter-clockwise rotation when viewed from the right side, i.e. the tail blades swing up into the main rotor downwash. Also, thrust direction follows the blade's trailing edge- the picture's arrows show tail movement direction, which as some guy proved a long time ago, is equal and opposite.

compare the one on p. 24 to my somewhat crude yet technically correct version:
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:06 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
I loaded the pre-built basic 3d setup file and adjusted it for my swash and servo setup. I still need to mount the Sk-720 and the power bus and wire them in... hopefully I can get that done early enough today to do a test hover before the daylight is gone.

I noticed some errors in the manual, p. 24. The diagram depicts a clockwise-rotation tail rotor. Most have a counter-clockwise rotation when viewed from the right side, i.e. the tail blades swing up into the main rotor downwash. Also, thrust direction follows the blade's trailing edge- the picture's arrows show tail movement direction, which as some guy proved a long time ago, is equal and opposite.

compare the one on p. 24 to my somewhat crude yet technically correct version:
It is confusing. The definition of thrust may be the issue here. I was taught that thrust was the opposite of drag. So, per Sir Isaac, pushing air back moves the airframe forward, or thrust:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/airplane1.htm

If you look again, you will see that the blades are spinning CCW. It is not my favorite drawing!

Rick
Last edited by Rickn816; Apr 22, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:55 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
It is confusing. The definition of thrust may be the issue here. I was taught that thrust was the opposite of drag. So, per Sir Isaac, pushing air back moves the airframe forward, or thrust:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/airplane1.htm

If you look again, you will see that the blades are spinning CCW. It is not my favorite drawing!

Rick
I looked again, this time at home and yeah... it appears as CCW rotation. Odd... The tail thrust direction thing must have messed with my head and caused meltdown. My initial thought when I read it was the direction of the thrusted air, but it appears to mean the tail section being pushed in that direction.

Anyways.....

Made more setup progress today, but not quite flyable yet. The Sk is secured to the tray, the 4 bus cables are plumbed through expandable sleeving to the power bus, servos are wired to the bus, and I'm getting proper control response from my Tx. Just a bit more cable dressing for the servos and remote receiver installation to do- hopefully airborne tomorrow.

I like that Art did away with the "setup/flight" switch and gain adjustment pots that the Sk-360 has.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:13 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
-because a thread sucks without pics...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:54 AM
Joined Oct 2000
197 Posts
Notice to customers on the self leveling firmware bug here. Anyone know how to order a 720 with the firmware update alredy factory installed? Different vendor pages I was looking at would be hard to tell when it's released. Maybe the retail Non pre-order boxed version would be a giveaway?
http://www.skookumrobotics.com/produ...20_NOTICE.html
Kenneth is offline Find More Posts by Kenneth
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:11 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
messed with my head and caused meltdown.
Anyways.....

Made more setup progress today, but not quite flyable yet. The Sk is secured to the tray, the 4 bus cables are plumbed through expandable sleeving to the power bus, servos are wired to the bus, and I'm getting proper control response from my Tx. Just a bit more cable dressing for the servos and remote receiver installation to do- hopefully airborne tomorrow.

I like that Art did away with the "setup/flight" switch and gain adjustment pots that the Sk-360 has.

I can melt down, too!

Glad you are making progress.

Rick
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:16 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Notice to customers on the self leveling firmware bug here. Anyone know how to order a 720 with the firmware update alredy factory installed? Different vendor pages I was looking at would be hard to tell when it's released. Maybe the retail Non pre-order boxed version would be a giveaway?
http://www.skookumrobotics.com/produ...20_NOTICE.html

The Beta testers got the updated firmware last night. When we are convinced that it works, Skookum will make it available on the web site. The firmware update is much easier than the SK 360. In this case, you find the file and tell it to update through the Utility menu option.

When you connect your gyro to the PC, the PC Setup software will show you what version of the firmware you have in your unit.

I hope I answered your questions.

Rick