Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:52 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Self-Leveling

I know. Me, too. I want this unit for the self-leveling feature.

The GyroBot has a similar function, but their manual is very specific about not switching to this mode while in flight.

The SK720 will solve this issue.

One of the reasons we spent so much time reducing vibration levels is that excessive vibrations (7 and above) will confluse the accelerometers in the 720 - it won't be able to tell which way is up.

My unit is configured to use Cyclic 2 for self-leveling. To get to Cyclic 2, I move the Aux 2 switch to the down position.

Adjust the Self-Leveling percentage to 80% (maximum).

Carefully copy all of your rates and gains from the Cyclic 1 tab to Cyclic 2, especially any tail trag comp figures. THIS IS CRITICAL.

Don't forget to click Send Setup.

You will also want to re-save the setup file on your PC. Go fly. If you selected Self Tune Bell Gains in Cyclic 1, you will see the Bell gain values change after the initial flights.

When self-leveling is enabled, the heli's controls are changed. If you release the aileron/elevator stick, the heli will return to a level hover. It will drift, but the movement will not be very fast. If you want to move the heli forward, you must hold the elevator stick. Otherwise, if you releast the stick to center, the heli will stop. It will keep moving as long as you hold the stick on the Tx.

If you are a beginner, you can set this to max. As you gain skills and confidence, you can gradulally reduce the amount of self-leveling. When it is at 0, you are flying a standard eCCPM helicopter.

The SK 720 is a remarkable achievement. We are waiting and wondering about the upcoming GPS add-on. No, I don't know anything about it except that Art is excited about it. I will have one when I can get it, and I'll let you know.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:02 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Let's set up the heli to check vibrations.

Remove the head and tail rotor.

Put the heli on a carpet and start the motor. You previously selected Enable Logs on the Control Tab, so your 720 will automatically make a new file every time you power it up.

Run the motor at full speed for a few minute. Shut the motor down, count to five and switch off the power.
I've heard that running a motor at full throttle without a load on it is bad.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:13 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 View Post
I've heard that running a motor at full throttle without a load on it is bad.
Well, it does have a load.
It is driving a main gear and the tail drive.

I use the governor function in the Phoenix ESC.

And, you are only running it for a minute more or less.

I've seen no harm.

Rick
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:10 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
I have one SK-720 and i don't think i need it, if someone need it please contact me,
HeliPro5 is offline Find More Posts by HeliPro5
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:18 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliPro5 View Post
I have one SK-720 and i don't think i need it, if someone need it please contact me,
I'll take it

sold in 8 minutes... Paypal account barrel is SMOKING!
Last edited by Gadget01; Apr 14, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:31 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Is the Sk-720 compatible with the Futaba brushless tail servos? I'm considering upgrading from the 9254 to a BLS-251 or 254.

The BLS-251 specs say it's only compatible with the 520, 601, and 611 gyros and NOT the 240 or 401. My guess is because they do not output a fast enough refresh rate for the servo. The Futaba website states, "Compatible with Super Narrow Pulse of (760Ás) drive."

I have yet to install the new software to see if these are included in the drop-down menu options for the tail servo, but I wanted to know if anyone has actual experience with this yet.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:19 AM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,912 Posts
What is the overall concept with the GPS add-on?
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:36 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Is the Sk-720 compatible with the Futaba brushless tail servos? I'm considering upgrading from the 9254 to a BLS-251 or 254.

The BLS-251 specs say it's only compatible with the 520, 601, and 611 gyros and NOT the 240 or 401. My guess is because they do not output a fast enough refresh rate for the servo. The Futaba website states, "Compatible with Super Narrow Pulse of (760Ás) drive."

I have yet to install the new software to see if these are included in the drop-down menu options for the tail servo, but I wanted to know if anyone has actual experience with this yet.
Yes. The software contains the 251 built in. You select it from a drop-down menu.

Rick
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:37 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
I'll take it

sold in 8 minutes... Paypal account barrel is SMOKING!
Nice shooting, there pardner! Weeehhaaa!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:38 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
What is the overall concept with the GPS add-on?
It assists the gyros and accelerometers by detecting lateral, and possibly vertical, movement.

It should be very easy to implement.

Wildlife biologists typically put tiny GPS units on migratory birds, as small as pigeons, to track their movements.

Art has been very quiet about what a GPS add on will do.

Rick
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:31 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Self leveling calibration ?

Hi, enjoying this thread very much.

among many many things I fly a X3d-BL quad with a Fun Pilot flight controller, it has self leveling ability.

the drawback is a CRAZY 6 point calibration process is required to get it to work right. you basically have to move the craft into all 6 orientations and in each one must be perfectly level on axis , then you hit the button and move it to the next position. once all 6 axis are calibrated then hopefully you did a good job and it will self level properly.

With the SK-720 is there a calibration procedure ? or does it just register the correct orientation upon powerup ?
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:33 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave42 View Post
Hi, enjoying this thread very much.

among many many things I fly a X3d-BL quad with a Fun Pilot flight controller, it has self leveling ability.

the drawback is a CRAZY 6 point calibration process is required to get it to work right. you basically have to move the craft into all 6 orientations and in each one must be perfectly level on axis , then you hit the button and move it to the next position. once all 6 axis are calibrated then hopefully you did a good job and it will self level properly.

With the SK-720 is there a calibration procedure ? or does it just register the correct orientation upon powerup ?
It comes calibrated and tested. It works out of the package.

Rick
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:15 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
It comes calibrated and tested. It works out of the package.

Rick
Thanks Rick, thats great news, sounds like a very user friendly product
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:55 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,912 Posts
I'm hoping more information on the GPS add-on will be available soon. It sounds like it might be perfect for an AP project I may be considering in the near future.
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:27 PM
Some fly...some don't.
USA, OH, Rock Creek
Joined Dec 2003
860 Posts
Rick,
I have measured the current draw from my SK-360 and digital servos when I had a CC bec 10A. It never went over 1.5 amps. I have searched and can't seem to find any large numbers for current draw on four digital 9152 servos, 401 gyro and SK.
Do you KNOW what the amp draw is for the SK-720? Or a total system draw?
Seems like you would get a little back on the 401 not being there, so you are saying that this thing will take 4 amps (leave a little for overhead)?
If I get this for the Logo, I can put the CC 10A back on if necessary, but it is nice to not need it.
oldeflyer is offline Find More Posts by oldeflyer