HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:05 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
Rick,
Any news on the SK540. It’s supposed to be available mid March.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:14 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Rick,
Any news on the SK540. Itís supposed to be available mid March.
I'm not involved with that project. Been working with Art on features for the 720.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
I'm not involved with that project. Been working with Art on features for the 720.

Rick
Is there a software update for the 720 coming any time soon or do we have a while?
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Is there a software update for the 720 coming any time soon or do we have a while?
I heard that there was a software upgrade coming out last month but I never heard what happened to delay it.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I heard that there was a software upgrade coming out last month but I never heard what happened to delay it.

Thanks. Mine is flying just fine as is but I was just wondering when the next round of changes were coming.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:38 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
I am not sure I have my banks set up correctlt.
How does this look.

On my Futaba 7CH I have the Gyro channel which is 5 and an Aux channel which is 7.
On normal tail servos I plug the Gyro sense into ch 5 which is tied into the 3 position flight mode switch. I assign a gain for nbormal mode, Idle 1 and Idle 2. I dont use end points. The gain number is entered directly. If you want 45% you enter 45%

Ok, for my Sk 720 I assigned the "gyro" channel to switch A. This will be Tail 1 and Tail 2 gains. I will use endpoints to set the gains. This is a 2 position switch.

I assigned ch 7 (aux) to sw b, also 2 position and will use endpoints for gain on cyclic 1 and cyclic 2.

Is this correct ? Now I will have to remember by switch position if Im using cyclic 2 and tail 1 or whatever.

I want to set up one of the banks with self leveling which I will have always on. This will be my bailout

If you could explain how you have set up the banks on a Spek Tx and which switches are used I can figure out how to do it on my Futaba.

I just have my electric planes and mcpx and BNF stuff on my Spek Tx. All of my big helis are Futaba.

Ive read both the old and new Sk 720 manuals and have not found an example of how the Banks are usually setup.

Thanks,

Jimmy
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Last edited by jamesppp; Mar 07, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:22 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
I am working with it now. How long - I wouldn't guess.

Rick
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
I am working with it now. How long - I wouldn't guess.

Rick
Ok, thanks Rick.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
I am not sure I have my banks set up correctlt.
How does this look.

On my Futaba 7CH I have the Gyro channel which is 5 and an Aux channel which is 7.
On normal tail servos I plug the Gyro sense into ch 5 which is tied into the 3 position flight mode switch. I assign a gain for nbormal mode, Idle 1 and Idle 2. I dont use end points. The gain number is entered directly. If you want 45% you enter 45%

Ok, for my Sk 720 I assigned the "gyro" channel to switch A. This will be Tail 1 and Tail 2 gains. I will use endpoints to set the gains. This is a 2 position switch.

I assigned ch 7 (aux) to sw b, also 2 position and will use endpoints for gain on cyclic 1 and cyclic 2.

Is this correct ? Now I will have to remember by switch position if Im using cyclic 2 and tail 1 or whatever.

I want to set up one of the banks with self leveling which I will have always on. This will be my bailout

If you could explain how you have set up the banks on a Spek Tx and which switches are used I can figure out how to do it on my Futaba.

I just have my electric planes and mcpx and BNF stuff on my Spek Tx. All of my big helis are Futaba.

Ive read both the old and new Sk 720 manuals and have not found an example of how the Banks are usually setup.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Jimmy,

To test it, plug in the 720 to your computer. Turn on the Tx, Turn on the Rx, and flip the swiches. You should see the banks change on the screen.

On My DX8, I use the Flap/Gyro switch (above left stick) for Gyro. I never change it, so it just sits there. The Cyclic banks are changed using the Aux 2 switch, over the right stick.

I use the Cyclic Banks to recover from a dumb move, so I want to have my hand on the left, collective stick, so that I can "punch out and up" as soon as the heli levels. With S/L, the cyclic is not necessary as the heli will move to level if the stick is centered.

I understand why you want S/L on all the time, but you have to understand that when you select that function, the heli will fly like a co-axial, and you will learn the "wrong" stick movements for level flight.

Looks like rain this weekend. If it is not raining on Sunday, a bunch of heli guys will meet at Garrard's Landing, Roswell about noonish.

Rick
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:33 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,218 Posts
Quote:
I understand why you want S/L on all the time, but you have to understand that when you select that function, the heli will fly like a co-axial, and you will learn the "wrong" stick movements for level flight.
Rick
This is true. But there is also a method to that madness. Guys learning this way just keep backing down the % of SL until it is virtually gone. Then your flight skills grow and you still have the stability you "need" at your experience level. For quite a while I ran at 30% and it was perfect for me on my skittish 6s 450s. I could still do loops, and mild 3d without a problem. Lots of guys still learn this way.

I still have bank 2 reserved for 90% SL but never need it. Each of my helis is setup differently. Also for me center stick SL messed me up more than helped me. Except for hovering practice.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:04 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Double post. New phone software is causing problems
Last edited by jamesppp; Mar 09, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:06 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Rick,
I have my bank selection switches all sorted out now
I can set gains from the transmitter.

As soon as I can get a few flight vibration logs and get comfortable with the heli I will enable SL on 1 of the cyclic banks only. I don't intend to fly around in SL mode, I want a bailout.
My idea is to flip the cyclic bank control switch away from me if I get disoriented which will activate bank 2 where SL has been enabled. Once I am oriented I will flip back to the. Cyclic bank with NO SL setup.
Does that make sense?
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:02 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Rick,
I have my bank selection switches all sorted out now
I can set gains from the transmitter.

As soon as I can get a few flight vibration logs and get comfortable with the heli I will enable SL on 1 of the cyclic banks only. I don't intend to fly around in SL mode, I want a bailout.
My idea is to flip the cyclic bank control switch away from me if I get disoriented which will activate bank 2 where SL has been enabled. Once I am oriented I will flip back to the. Cyclic bank with NO SL setup.
Does that make sense?
Yep. Make the controls so that they work for you.

Rick
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:58 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Good idea on the cyclic switch location.
I'll enable sw D which is on the right side and normally used for my dual rates.

I originally thought that ea bank was supposed to have both a cyclic and a tail controlled by it.
I could not find an explanation in the manual. It took a while for me to understand what ea bank would do. Once that clicked setting up the Futaba tx was easy.
I asked here and on HF. I think everybody thought I wanted to know how to program my tx.
I had 1 switch choosing cyclic 1 and tail 1 in one position and cyclic 2 tail 2 in the other position and I sure couldn't understand how I was supposed control those gains with that setup. It may be intuitive to every other Skookum 720 owner but a couple of sentences in the manual describing what each bank actually consists of would have been very benificial to me
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:18 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Good idea on the cyclic switch location.
I'll enable sw D which is on the right side and normally used for my dual rates.

I originally thought that ea bank was supposed to have both a cyclic and a tail controlled by it.
I could not find an explanation in the manual. It took a while for me to understand what ea bank would do. Once that clicked setting up the Futaba tx was easy.
I asked here and on HF. I think everybody thought I wanted to know how to program my tx.
I had 1 switch choosing cyclic 1 and tail 1 in one position and cyclic 2 tail 2 in the other position and I sure couldn't understand how I was supposed control those gains with that setup. It may be intuitive to every other Skookum 720 owner but a couple of sentences in the manual describing what each bank actually consists of would have been very benificial to me
I figured it out by trial and error.

Rick