HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:33 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
The SK540 is supposed to be out in March and is expected to have a much logger price than the 720. With all the new low priced gyros on the market Skookum really needs something priced lower in order to stay in the game.

Is anyone doing beta testing on this new gyro?

Any idea as to the exact price I sure hope its in the $199-250 range.

I don't know.
Not me.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
This is the only...O-fficial thing I have found concerning the 540 system.

Unfortunately, the feature that I am most interested in is the self leveling

http://helidaily.com/skookum-robotic...w-sk-540-unit/
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
This is the only...O-fficial thing I have found concerning the 540 system.

Unfortunately, the feature that I am most interested in is the self leveling

http://helidaily.com/skookum-robotic...w-sk-540-unit/
(2) 3 axis gyros? I wonder what advantage that produces.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 11, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,243 Posts
It is aimed at the guys who do not need self level features. Plus, this is huge. It will be a system that will work with the new gps. I cannot say more about the ramifications of this, but think about it!

It will be out for the beta testers incredibly soon.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:34 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,259 Posts
I have not used the self leveling. My Gasser pegs the vibration scale, so never tried. Sometimes I feel like switching it onto one of my smaller electrics, so I can get more flight time with my 720.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
I have not used the self leveling. My Gasser pegs the vibration scale, so never tried. Sometimes I feel like switching it onto one of my smaller electrics, so I can get more flight time with my 720.
It has saved my helis from my dumb thumbs more than once on multiple machines. It is more than paid for itself.

Rick
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,243 Posts
I just had a personal pm from one of the beta testers. He sent me pics of the unit as he unpacked it. Shouldn't be long now.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
It has saved my helis from my dumb thumbs more than once on multiple machines. It is more than paid for itself.

Rick
The problem with the 720 is the very high price. You can tell someone all the good things it can do but as soon as they see the price they are not interested. High end market is very very limited. As the low end stuff gets batter and better the high end only companies will soon be driven out of the market. I sure hope Skookum does not make that mistake.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,243 Posts
Quote:
The problem with the 720 is the very high price. You can tell someone all the good things it can do but as soon as they see the price they are not interested. High end market is very very limited. As the low end stuff gets batter and better the high end only companies will soon be driven out of the market. I sure hope Skookum does not make that mistake.

Not likely. They have a pretty strong following when you look at how many thousands of units are now in use. I believe it has passed the 6000 mark. Not bad for a little co out of Canada!
They are now making a strong showing in the 450 class. Lots of guys I see have jumped aboard that would rather pay up front and go fbl right off the bat with a self stab system than constantly crash during the learning process. I myself have quite a few pms from them asking questions over at HF.

Btw guys. The new software upgrade for the 720 should be here in mere days.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:03 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Btw guys. The new software upgrade for the 720 should be here in mere days.
Is that the one that has GPS support?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Is that the one that has GPS support?
Honestly, I cannot say much. I may have misunderstood a few things also. This may be just the beta tester version?
I have had direct conversations with one of the software designers, so I have some idea of some things. But not enough to disclose anything without causing confusion. And what I do know for sure is that everything for obvious reasons has to remain somewhat quiet until it hits the market. Hopefully in a few weeks we will all be chatting about it with more complete information.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
I have one on the way for my Logo 500. Im excited
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Honestly, I cannot say much. I may have misunderstood a few things also. This may be just the beta tester version?
I have had direct conversations with one of the software designers, so I have some idea of some things. But not enough to disclose anything without causing confusion. And what I do know for sure is that everything for obvious reasons has to remain somewhat quiet until it hits the market. Hopefully in a few weeks we will all be chatting about it with more complete information.
We should have quite a bit to chat about

Rick
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
It has probably been asked before, but can anyone compare the 720 to helicommand's HC3-SX? Auto leveling function (for use with electric 450's) is what I'm most interested in.
Ernie Mccracken is offline Find More Posts by Ernie Mccracken
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
It has probably been asked before, but can anyone compare the 720 to helicommand's HC3-SX? Auto leveling function (for use with electric 450's) is what I'm most interested in.

The reason most buy the Sk720 is because of the auto level function. Whether using it to train and fly with as a beginner in SL mode so it flies much like a docile coaxial, or using it as a bail out system. Especially on the wilder
450s! I use it on both my 6s versions.
Plus, add in the fact the Sk720 has the best tail gyro in the business, and can be pretty much infinitely tuned to get your heli flying any way you need (easily I might add). And now you have the reason why it is getting so popular in the 450 class. Not to mention that the fbl function of the Sk720 is simply stunning all by itself. And then to add even more to the mix, Skookum adds an incredible vibration analysis logging system! When you learn the basics of how to use and read the graphs it will let you know when any of your heli parts are going out of spec, or ready to fail. Just like it did on mine two days ago.

And then to top it off you have dedicated forums like this, with very knowlegeable members who can help in almost any aspect.