HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:41 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,094 Posts
I flew my Trex 500 and Raptor E620 this weekend and I must say that V3 is a big improvement over V2. The tail holds much better and I can run quite a bit more gain with my 500. In my book the SK720 is now the top gyro on the market.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Jun 09, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:37 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Tested the T500 last night as it was getting dark. Full collective punches and hard piros, the S/L held.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:09 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Tested the T500 last night as it was getting dark. Full collective punches and hard piros, the S/L held.

Rick

It’s almost like cheating to have SL on during piros. It just makes them too easy.

I have my T500 upgraded but have only flown it once. I will do some tuning this weekend. What rudder gain are you running?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:25 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
It’s almost like cheating to have SL on during piros. It just makes them too easy.

I have my T500 upgraded but have only flown it once. I will do some tuning this weekend. What rudder gain are you running?

I just turned it down from 33 to 25. Had a bit of wobble. Thought it might be the governor, so we'll see tomorrow. Taking my LCD field screen so I can tweak some more.

The self-leveling is a real aid for me. I can focus on collective when inverted and not worry about cyclic. I'm at the point now in my inverted hovering where I feel comfortable trying flips and rolls with S/L turned off. This little blue box helped me get up the learning curve in a short time.

Rick
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:36 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,311 Posts
Wow, I just programmed my first Sk-720 tonight and updated the software. No real issues except having to clean out the previous owners files so the warning about the memory load of the Sk would go away. Geez this thing is crystal clear and easy. Whoohoo, I am so jacked!
Too bad my new MKS Ds95 cyclics are actually rated faster than the quickest rating the Sk will allow. No biggie. I have a quick question though, on the tail gyro setup I am also using the MKS Ds95i, and there is a check/square that says "blurring piros". Do I tag this? Or is this more for flying style and hardcore 3D?
And there is also a square that gets tagged as small helicopter, I think I read this is only for a 250 size and under. Is this correct? I am sure I will have a few more questions though but this is about it for now.
Thanks guys!
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:58 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,466 Posts
From the Skookum web site:
"Blur Piros" option, so at 100% rudder the heli will piro at almost 3 revs/second.

Small helicopter is 450 or smaller in my manual.

Maybe I'm missing something but my Sk720 goes down to .05 / 60 speed on cyclic. I have not updated to the newest software yet.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:38 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
I have that option checked on both my TRex 500 and Furion 6 (600). The piros are blinding fast. I love it. They are as fast as the tail will drive them.

Rick
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
From the Skookum web site:
"Blur Piros" option, so at 100% rudder the heli will piro at almost 3 revs/second.

Small helicopter is 450 or smaller in my manual.

Maybe I'm missing something but my Sk720 goes down to .05 / 60 speed on cyclic. I have not updated to the newest software yet.
My tail is at .038 760us/560hz and my cyclic is at .051 so I should be ok then. (I updated the software yesterday), I was also concerned at the 333hz op speed on the Sk for the tail since the TS is rated at 560hz, But I am assured now by others that it will be fine. I had mistakenly assumed the cyclics were also operating at 760us since they were the same ds95 series as the tail servos. Now I know, never assume anything. It will bite you.
These are the servos.
http://www.mksservosusa.com/home.php?cat=6
My piros earlier using the KDS900gyro/ds95i servo were also really fast, but nothing like 3 turns a sec. I am also using 500 cf blades and a step up tail drive gear on my 6s modded 450. I was bending booms. So now the inference is that the Sk is even much faster, 3 piro's a second is insane! Wow. I think for now I will leave that selection toggled off.
I also just discovered with some help that my new DX7 can have the gyro/cyclic toggle positions changed so the new positions coincide with the needed aux/gear settings on the SK setup. So as of now I am ok. I am waiting on the cyclics to show up wed or thursday to finalize the install and I am sure I will have more questions.
Thanks guys! I do appreciate the help. This is a new ground up learning experience for me since this is my first fbl setup.
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Jun 13, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:09 AM
Haugesund, Norway
Joined Apr 2007
8 Posts
Need help!

I am setting up a T-Rex 600 and want to try out the governor function of the Skookum SK 720
I will use the rpm unit that originally came with the T-Rex.
I have found out that I have to reverse the polarity of the sensor.
So far so good.
What i slu der about if I only use the rpm sensor plugger in to slot IO-C, or if I use the compmete Align rpm unit. The box it self has two wires. If I should use the whole unit, in which slots do I then plug in Theć two extra wires?

Morten Mathisen
Please reply to:
mormathi@online.no
mormathi is offline Find More Posts by mormathi
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:27 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,311 Posts
Hi guys, I finally received my servos (they sat on a shelf in canada for 6 weeks) and finished the install. I now have a roadblock.
Let me begin by explaining a few things. The setup is fantastic and easy by the way. Especially compared to my old flymentor install a few years back. I may have made a mistake by using braided covering throughout my wiring harness and on my servo leads in my pursuit of perfection. It tends to stiffen up the wiring and I would think the SK unit doesn't like this as there are quite a few references to using the bus if the wires are thicker. I can deal with that later if you guys think I just needed to leave them stock.

What happens is this, I have everything perfect, swash level at 90deg. When I unplug the system and reinitialize it the servo arms go up 45deg, still level but non the less wrong. If I do it again they raise up another notch until the swash locks up at top.
I still have cyclic control but this is the new center.
What am I doing wrong? Or is this a defective unit?
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:58 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Hi guys, I finally received my servos (they sat on a shelf in canada for 6 weeks) and finished the install. I now have a roadblock.
Let me begin by explaining a few things. The setup is fantastic and easy by the way. Especially compared to my old flymentor install a few years back. I may have made a mistake by using braided covering throughout my wiring harness and on my servo leads in my pursuit of perfection. It tends to stiffen up the wiring and I would think the SK unit doesn't like this as there are quite a few references to using the bus if the wires are thicker. I can deal with that later if you guys think I just needed to leave them stock.

What happens is this, I have everything perfect, swash level at 90deg. When I unplug the system and reinitialize it the servo arms go up 45deg, still level but non the less wrong. If I do it again they raise up another notch until the swash locks up at top.
I still have cyclic control but this is the new center.
What am I doing wrong? Or is this a defective unit?
I use braided covers, too.

What is the firmware version?

Before you send Art an e-mail, check to see that you have the current version.

When you reinitialize, is the Tx running, also? I presume unplug means disconnecting the USB cable. You might try another cable.

Based on what you posted, I'm guessing a bad unit. Is there anything else you could tell us that might be helpful here?

Rick
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
I use braided covers, too.

What is the firmware version?

Before you send Art an e-mail, check to see that you have the current version.

When you reinitialize, is the Tx running, also? I presume unplug means disconnecting the USB cable. You might try another cable.

Based on what you posted, I'm guessing a bad unit. Is there anything else you could tell us that might be helpful here?

Rick
I am running the new version. Tx is running. And yeah you confirmed my fears.
I bought the unit used at HF from a guy that swore it was perfect and never really flew it. So no warranty for me I would guess.
Just my luck, 50 guys can do a thing and it works perfectly. Me, I always get the lemon. And the Sk is buried and difficult to get out, I have to disassemble the body.
Every time I hook up the cable my computer prompt pops us and tells me the unit is defective and needs help. But when I initialize the program to investigate the sk, it comes back clean. I have tried two different cables. Same results.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:49 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,817 Posts
Is it just a message saying the device needs to be checked? If so it just means you unplugged it without ejecting first.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,311 Posts
Yes, and I had no idea I was supposed to eject it. The setup tutor just says unplug the usb chord to go into binding mode after setting it up to do so. Hmm, looks like I have to do some more reading.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:02 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Yes, and I had no idea I was supposed to eject it. The setup tutor just says unplug the usb chord to go into binding mode after setting it up to do so. Hmm, looks like I have to do some more reading.
Look at the utility menu. From the SK software utility, select format. It may be a problem with the micro SD card.

Rick