HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:16 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
Setup

It is a custom TRex 500. Frames by CustomHeli.com. Note the frame has blind nuts for the servos. The frame was made specifically for these servos, and you can get frames for other servos, too.

The power supply for the electronics is the CC BEC Pro, mounted on the bottom. The ESC is CC ICE 50, mounted on the bottom of the battery platform. The SK 720 is mounted on the bottom plate. I have two Spektrum receiver modules. One is on the receiver plate above the SK 720. The second is mounted perpendicular to the first one on the inside of the left frame side.

Power from 2X FlightPower EON 2450 3S 30C wired in series.

Motor is the Scorpion HK-3026-1600 KV

Stock torque tube tail.

Swash servos JR 3517mg
Tail DS3400G

RJX head, CY Radix mainblades.

Not stock skids. I've already broken two sets of the Align parts.
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Last edited by Rickn816; Mar 12, 2010 at 08:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hooked on Heli's!
USA, NJ, Voorhees
Joined Aug 2005
303 Posts
Looks really sweat! Couple quests: Do you really need the seperate BEC with the new ICE ESCs?? Is the 720 still undercover or did I miss it in the photos.

Thanks for sharing.
-Scott
Chomper_Boom is offline Find More Posts by Chomper_Boom
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:37 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper_Boom View Post
Looks really sweat! Couple quests: Do you really need the seperate BEC with the new ICE ESCs?? Is the 720 still undercover or did I miss it in the photos.

Thanks for sharing.
-Scott
I do not own a heli without a separate BEC. Chris' podcast interviewed Art from Skookum, and he told about the number of helis they tested with the 720 that experienced brown-outs.

I have a mini V-Bar on my TRex 250. CC Bec and Phoenix 10. The ESC does not get warm.

On my E-Sky 600, I use a separate battery for the electronics, including the GyroBot.

All of my power systems have a switch in the circuit.

My 720 is on the the frame bottom. All the photos I took last night looking in at it were out of focus, so I did not post them. There are good pictures of the 720 at the Skookum web site.

It is still raining here, so I'm not flying. I will go through the setup again from scratch to make sure I did not miss something. For example, you "square" the servos using the 720 software, not your Tx. An interesting approach that I missed the first time.

I really like that frame. I can't say enough good things about the quality and fit. Not to mention the blind nuts for bolting the servos to the frame. There are also small holes in the frame. When the servo arm and ball are aligned with the hole, the servo is "square." Neat.

Rick
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:44 AM
Something Witty.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2007
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
It is a custom TRex 500. Frames by CustomHeli.com. Note the frame has blind nuts for the servos. The frame was made specifically for these servos, and you can get frames for other servos, too.

The power supply for the electronics is the CC BEC Pro, mounted on the bottom. The ESC is CC ICE 50, mounted on the bottom of the battery platform. The SK 720 is mounted on the bottom plate. I have two Spektrum receiver modules. One is on the receiver plate above the SK 720. The second is mounted perpendicular to the first one on the inside of the left frame side.

Stock torque tube tail.

Swash servos JR 3517mg
Tail DS3400G

Nice! Can't wait to see this progress. That is a nice looking heli.
Court461 is offline Find More Posts by Court461
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:32 PM
Trying to fly on the cheap!
Norway, Rogaland, Stavanger
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper_Boom View Post

Thanks for sharing.
-Scott
The bec on the ice is only 5A. It may be ok for a 425 bladed heli, but is not enough for the bigger helis.
mosca.br is offline Find More Posts by mosca.br
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:33 PM
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
Quote:

Stock torque tube tail.

Swash servos JR 3517mg
Tail DS3400G

The pics look nice, any chance we can see it flying?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:22 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca.br View Post
The pics look nice, any chance we can see it flying?

I'm not much of a flyer

It rained the past week, and I did not get out. I'm figuring out the several settings. I hope to put it up this weekend a few times.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=193745

Here is someone who can fly.

Rick
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:18 AM
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
I'm not much of a flyer

It rained the past week, and I did not get out. I'm figuring out the several settings. I hope to put it up this weekend a few times.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=193745

Here is someone who can fly.

Rick
I saw that one. I am more interested on a non "factory" pilot flying.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:03 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca.br View Post
I saw that one. I am more interested on a non "factory" pilot flying.
Laughing.

Well, that would be me.

When the weather clears up here a bit (40F and very windy), I will try to get a few clips.

Rick
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:40 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
It's Coming

https://www.helidirect.com/index.php

It follows the ad for fuel and E-Sky.

Price $425. Last night, the add said it would be available in early April. That part is gone, now.

When permitted, I will post a series on the details and setup.

Rick
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:38 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
First Impressions

We were given permission to begin general, non-technical discussions about the SK 720. part of this is because they are still making some last-minute tweaks, and don't want us giving out obsolete (bad) information.

Setup

I am using the gyro as the Rx, with two Spektrum remote satellites connected to it. Power through the CC Pro BEC. All but two of the servo connectors on the gyro are filled.

The gyro is mounted on the base plate under the forward tail rotor gear box (torque tube).

You set up some of the features Before you put it in the heli. Input the parameters for the swash servos. If you can't find your tail servo on the pull-down menu, you probably should buy a new servo.

The software has several ways to show you the orientation of the heli. Much of it is like the SK 360 software, but they added three views of the heli and a "bubble level."

The PC software comes loaded in the unit, which has 2Gb of memory. You run the installation from that file. The manual is also loaded there.

After you set up the gyro for your servos (you can do some damage to the servos if the settings are incorrect when you connect them to the gyro), mount the unit in your heli and connect the servos.

All servo reversing, sub-trim, etc., are done on the PC, and NOT in your Tx.

Rick
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:40 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
Flying

This has given me confidence to do things that I would never have tried before. For me, the heli flys like the heli in my Phoenix sim. It goes where you point it. Period. In a hover, it holds position - the wind may move it, but the wind will not cause a change in orientation.

After

The system has a flight recorder. When you return home, plug in the USB cable and play the flight log. You see a representation of your heli (with motor/rotor sounds in the speakers). You also see the voltage and the vibration levels on the screen.

Rick
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:41 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,926 Posts
Conclusion?

This is the first release. Skookum promises additions and upgrades - both hardware add-ons and firmware updates. With the 32-bit processor, this gyro will serve you well for several years (well, we have to remember that Moore's Law affects all computer devices).

Would I buy another? Yes. It is already on the way.

In a few weeks, I will post screen shots and photos. I don't have a video camera operator, so vids will be difficult. I will give you a side-by-side-by-side comparision with the mini V-Bar and the GyroBot.

Rick
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:44 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
178 Posts
thanks Rick keep us posted ...... m1kal
m1kal is offline Find More Posts by m1kal
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:21 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Sounds really good. I wish I had got in on the 1st batch of production. Hopefully the wait is not too long for the 2nd run.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01