SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2010, 06:55 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Gadget -
Yes.

Everybody, let's please get back to the issue and lower the noise a bit.

Thanks.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 07:23 AM
Joined Jan 2006
219 Posts
Gadget - Agreed and thanks for sharing. I for one am very interested in not only the good things about this product, but of its potential growing pains, and the fixes if any. At the very least I found your thorough (so, not just whinging) troubleshooting approach useful to read, unlike trolling posts which add nothing to the discussion except gratuitously making personal attacks.
TweakRacer is offline Find More Posts by TweakRacer
Old May 11, 2010, 08:04 AM
Australia, WA, Exmouth
Joined Jan 2010
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 View Post
Quite often when problems arise, experienced or noob, the source is often operator error and outside perspectives can spot overlooked details and may vastly accelerate the resolution process. This is one of the fundamentals of why this forum and many others like it has a reason to exist. I don't know how else to explain it to you and I couldn't care less if you don't personally approve of my troubleshooting techniques nor what strikes you as odd.
No worries, thank you for explaining this in a nice and concise manner.

Quote:
It's called troubleshooting- perhaps you've heard of it. Try the "search" field on Google or Wikipedia for elaboration.
Quote:
Post something constructive or S.T.F.U.
And here you go making yourself look like a cock.
Was there any need for these pathetic comments?
No.
What the hell is to be gained from these antagonistic and confrontational comments? Nothing.
What is it about this hobby? There are some people who seem to have absolutely no interpersonal skills.
Idiot.
Desmogod is offline Find More Posts by Desmogod
Old May 11, 2010, 08:35 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,927 Posts
Tail Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Everybody, let's please get back to the issue and lower the noise a bit.

Thanks.

Rick
Got in a bit more flying and it is working very well. I due have a question about tail tuning. It’s steady for all maneuvers except when I stop the tail suddenly and hit fill collective. Hear a variation in the motor load indicating a probably tail wag. I can stop from a piro and it’s solid with no wag. If I turn down the gain a lot them the noise goes away but control is a little sloppy. What parameters should I adjust to get it tuned in better?

T500
2700 headspeed
BLS251 on the tail

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; May 11, 2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmogod View Post
And here you go making yourself look like a cock.
Was there any need for these pathetic comments?
No.

What the hell is to be gained from these antagonistic and confrontational comments? Nothing.
Agreed- post edited/comment retracted. I stand by the points I've tried to make, but you're right- making inflammatory comments is not exactly productive.

Quote:
What is it about this hobby? There are some people who seem to have absolutely no interpersonal skills.
Idiot.
It's quite a fact- I'm far better at working with machines and technical details than with people, but I'd like to think I'm making progress now and then.

Now that we got that sorted, next round's on me
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old May 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Got in a bit more flying and it is working very well. I due have a question about tail tuning. Itís steady for all maneuvers except when I stop the tail suddenly and hit fill collective. Hear a variation in the motor load indicating a probably tail wag. I can stop from a piro and itís solid with no wag. If I turn down the gain a lot them the noise goes away but control is a little sloppy. What parameters should I adjust to get it tuned in better?

T500
2700 headspeed
BLS251 on the tail

By default, there is some collective mixing in the tail settings, which sounds a lot like revo mixing to me. You might try experimenting with that value. I changed one of my tail banks from the default (20% if I remember correctly) to 0%. I had yet to do much testing with it before my little SW-L channel problem popped up.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2 Posts
I have an un-commanded engine start when using the SK720. I have the below set up and when I plug in the battery, the ESC arms after throttle hold is turned on and the engine starts up and continues at a slow speed tell I pull the battery. Again this happens when throttle hold is on. -110% throttle position is being sent from the transmitter. Not fast at all maybe 30 rpmís of the head. I also set up the SK720 to work with an external receiver and the problem disappeared. That should rule out the controller, BEC/ESC and shorts in the wiring. Tried resetting the SK720 and re-flashing no effect problem is still present. I Have another SK720 installed in my TREX600E with no problems.

Do you have any thoughts?

Frame: Align T-Rex 450 V3 Pro Kit Combo w/Motor/ESC (Black Frame - Carbon Blades)
Remote Receiver: Spektrum X1
Motor: 450M Brushless motor(3500KV)
ESC: RCE-BL35X (35A) Brushless ESC
BEC: RCE-BL35X (35A) Brushless ESC
Gyro: SK720
Cyclic Servoís: Hitec HS-5065MG Micro Digital Metal Gear Servo
Tail Servo: JR DS3500G Ultra Speed Mini Gyro Servo
Battery: HYPERION G3 VX 2600 MAH 3S 11.1V 35C/65C LIPOLY PACK
SK720 Un-commanded engine start (4 min 25 sec)
ccdanieldb is offline Find More Posts by ccdanieldb
Last edited by ccdanieldb; May 11, 2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add link
Old May 11, 2010, 10:18 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,838 Posts
Quote:
Got in a bit more flying and it is working very well. I due have a question about tail tuning. Itís steady for all maneuvers except when I stop the tail suddenly and hit fill collective. Hear a variation in the motor load indicating a probably tail wag. I can stop from a piro and itís solid with no wag. If I turn down the gain a lot them the noise goes away but control is a little sloppy. What parameters should I adjust to get it tuned in better?

T500
2700 headspeed
BLS251 on the tail

It sounds like your hearing the unit giving tail commands with your pitch inputs.. this is part of a 3 axis system

If it's bouncing on the stop you can play with the Stop Accel!
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2010, 11:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
It sounds like your hearing the unit giving tail commands with your pitch inputs.. this is part of a 3 axis system

If it's bouncing on the stop you can play with the Stop Accel!
Stop is perfect.

The problem is that when I first punch it (full collective) I can also see some yaw/roll oscillations. First I thought it was too much roll axis damping but I lowered it and that did not help. With these 3 axis systems sometimes itís hard to tell what axis needs tuning.

I will try setting the collective to tail mix to 0 and see if that helps. It wonít be today Ė 25 MPH winds with gusts to 45.

What about that small helicopter option Ė exactly want does that due. The instructions are very vague about that option.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 11, 2010, 12:35 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdanieldb View Post
Do you have any thoughts?

]
Yes. I have seen this a couple of times now on different folks helis w/ the 720, and am getting more confused. The manual specifically states the unit has to be mounted with the wires either in the front or back, and never sideways, yet now I have seen twice people mounting them that way It also stated near to the point of rotation ( main shaft ) which it is not. What's up?

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2010, 04:36 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdanieldb View Post
I have an un-commanded engine start when using the SK720.
Your 9303's Normal mode in and out should be equal. To fix this you can move the throttle trim lever to center. So 0 in equals 0 out. Went by to fast in video for me to see if it was equal.
Now you need to get the failsafe, and Hold values to be at 0% throttle. Go back to the Throttle Hold menu and set it to 0%, instead of -5%. And on the Hold Throttle curve a straight line 0%. On the throttles travel adjustment start at 100%, and move down until the ESC arms. Should also rebind afterward. On the SK720 set the failsafe to 0% also. Check on the monitor screen that at 0 throttle it does not move from 0, when flipped into throttle hold. And that from higher throttle it moves back to 0 in hold. I think this should fix your problem.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 11, 2010, 04:57 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:

T500
2700 headspeed
BLS251 on the tail

Yes. As Gadget pointed out, tweak the collective mix.

Rick
Old May 11, 2010, 05:06 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
Yes. I have seen this a couple of times now on different folks helis w/ the 720, and am getting more confused. The manual specifically states the unit has to be mounted with the wires either in the front or back, and never sideways, yet now I have seen twice people mounting them that way It also stated near to the point of rotation ( main shaft ) which it is not. What's up?

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Maybe you misread the manual? Page 9 . . .

Rick
Last edited by Rickn816; May 11, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:28 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,335 Posts
Maybe so but it does say the servo port end is the front end? And it also says the sides should be aligned with the fore and aft.How do you do that with the unit sideways? Glad that isn't confusing.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2010, 06:22 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
Maybe so but it does say the servo port end is the front end? And it also says the sides should be aligned with the fore and aft.How do you do that with the unit sideways? Glad that isn't confusing.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Bill, with the default settings of the control tab, yes, the servo port is the front. These values can be changed to suit whatever orientation you want it in so long as the sides (long edges or short) are squared up to the fore-aft frame axis. The mounting surface should squared to the main shaft.

Just monitor the "Gyro Motion" on the upper right. If you mount it so the servo port is to either side, then when you tilt the nose up it should show aileron motion- check the "Rotate 90 Deg" option to correct it. Then check the Axis Flip options as required so the values are green when you tilt the nose up and then bank right. Send the setup to the unit each time you change a setting for it to take effect.