HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeoff2 View Post
After read the manual of SK GPS,I'm a little disappointed,too many switches ,positions and restrictions,I was expecting something simpler.Pdf manual maybe is not in final form.....
Actually I thought it was quite the opposite. The setup seems like a breeze of the unit itself, and using the GPS features is no more complicated that using your idle up flight mode or dual rate switches on your TX.

In summary, you only use one three position switch on your TX. One position on the switch will be your manual flight mode with no GPS function at all, and then you can pick two of of the available GPS bail out features to be on the other two switch positions. There are 6 different GPS functions available, so choose the two that suit your particular needs the most.

Your choices are:
1) Altitude and position hold
2) Only altitude position hold
3) Rescue now (rights the heli tail in and locks into place, but requires manual switch trigger activation by user)
4) Hard deck (automatically does rescue now function when heli descends below set altitude)
5) Soft deck (same as hard deck, but system will rescue at or before set altitude limit)
6) Return to home

Only one switch to use, and choose the two functions that you need most, so I'm not sure how much easier it can get? If you are using the hard or soft deck feature, you won't even need to touch the switches in flight. The heli will rescue itself.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Jan 05, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:21 AM
United States, NY, Huntington Station
Joined May 2012
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
One switch to use and choose the two functions that you need most, so I'm not sure how much easier it can get? If you are using the hard or soft deck feature, you won't even need to touch the switches in flight. The heli will rescue itself.
I agree. I guess one can never please everyone.
chuenwe is offline Find More Posts by chuenwe
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:04 AM
Romania
Joined Jan 2009
240 Posts
Xrayted
Perhaps i not understand correctly,Chosen at random 1)OFF,2)Only altitude position hold,3)Soft deck, but I want and Return to home,how i do?
With regard to switches, I meant all switches, not just GPS: Cyclic bank,Tail bank,Flight mode,Gps and so...I'm not a good flyer and I be worried.
takeoff2 is offline Find More Posts by takeoff2
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined May 2012
1,668 Posts
You don't NEED to use cyclic bank or tail bank. SK software allow you to use a fix value after you decide what works for your flight style.

For the GPS modes, you can use a combination of two switches to give you 6 modes.

Can't believe someone would complain there are too many functionality...
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Xrayted
Perhaps i not understand correctly,Chosen at random 1)OFF,2)Only altitude position hold,3)Soft deck, but I want and Return to home,how i do?
With regard to switches, I meant all switches, not just GPS: Cyclic bank,Tail bank,Flight mode,Gps and so...I'm not a good flyer and I be worried.
You can easily simplify and there is no reason to be switching banks in flight if you have a setup that works for you.

My tail gain is fixed because it holds fine, so I don't even have a tail bank switching option on my current setup. I use one switch to control my cyclic bank switching to activate self leveling for rescue, but this will become a function of the GPS rescue, so there will be no need to switch cyclic banks for me anymore.

You could still have this functionality if you want, but it will depend on what TX you are using and how many channels you have available. If you insist on having the ability to switch cyclic banks, you could assign that function to say your governor channel and switch, and then maybe use your gyro gain function and switch for the GPS function switching. You could even mix the GPS switch with one of the bank switching functions so that activating a GPS function also activates a bank switching function as well. It can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be.

If you are currently happy with a particular cyclic gain setup and tail gain setup and want to keep things simple, then lock those gain values and don't worry about assigning any channel for bank switching.

Just set up your GPS switch with your two chosen functions and be done......easy peasy! You will only be able to choose two GPS functions to assign to the switch in the software, so choose the two that best suits your needs. You can change the choices at the field using the field terminal if you wish.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Jan 05, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:27 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Xrayted
There is a separate setup-screen for the GPS unit. You can verify your choices on the computer monitor.

Easier than the NAZA GPS to set up.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
The "almost final" draft of the GPS Instruction Manual is on the Skookum web site.

Rick
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
Will the "Black" 720 include GPS or will it still be an add on? Is there any guess as to when it will be available.
Thanks, John
John R. is offline Find More Posts by John R.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined May 2012
1,668 Posts
GPS is always separate since not everyone needs/wants the GPS functionalities.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:06 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John R. View Post
Will the "Black" 720 include GPS or will it still be an add on? Is there any guess as to when it will be available.
Thanks, John
The only information I heard is "after the GPS.'"

Rick
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:24 AM
Romania
Joined Jan 2009
240 Posts
Middle of January has passed, so......???????????????
takeoff2 is offline Find More Posts by takeoff2
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:07 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Middle of January has passed, so......???????????????
Getting closer.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:46 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,632 Posts
What’s the schedule on the new improved 720? I thought it was going to be out late last year? No one has the old one in stock?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
What’s the schedule on the new improved 720? I thought it was going to be out late last year? No one has the old one in stock?

No schedule, no word other then after the GPS. Story I've heard most is that some part used in the new 720 got discontinued and they have to re-engineer it. If you want an old one watch the classifieds and ebay, they pop up from time to time. I got an Ikon instead, have yet to try it though.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:10 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
No schedule, no word other then after the GPS. Story I've heard most is that some part used in the new 720 got discontinued and they have to re-engineer it. If you want an old one watch the classifieds and ebay, they pop up from time to time. I got an Ikon instead, have yet to try it though.

I definitely donít want the old one with obsolete components. Sounds like it will be summer or later if they have to go through the engineering process all over again. Skookum is not noted for speedy development. But in the good side I have not had any hardware problems with the ones I have. The SK540 is my favorite 3D gyro.

For those that have no SK720 looks like it will be a fairly long time before they can purchase everything they need to make GPS work.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man