HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2010, 07:32 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Looked like the software would run on my old laptop (Thinkpad 600 on Windows ME). Works good at most parts of the software, locks up on the setup wizards. Might have to get a newer model laptop, or install a newer Windows to use at the field.
I'm running on Windows 7 64 bit. No problems at all.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2010, 08:23 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
lazy SW-A channel output

A strange problem developed today with no apparent cause. The left cyclic servo (SW-A) output appears half-dead. It is only responsive to the lower 50% of collective and lower left quarter of cyclic inputs. Above 50% collective and in the upper right cyclic, nothing. I verified my Tx (JR x9303) monitor screen and everything looks normal- the PC interface shows the full range of input corresponding to the Tx. Different servos plugged into the SW-L channel all behave in the exact same limited manner- not the servo. Other servos plugged into the SW-A channel respond in the same limited-range manner, so it is definitely that channel.

I'm using the Sk-720 as a receiver with dual satellite rx's, use option is 9ch/2 gain/ 2 aux, 6v input via BEC to the power bus, BLS-451 cyclic servos, BLS-251 tail via 5v stepdown. Firmware is 1.00, serial # 1210.

I tried bypassing the power bus, re-sending the setup file to the unit, resetting, rebinding, using an external receiver, doing a little dance while chewing gum with one arm tied behind my back, using different power sources (BEC vs receiver pack)... all no help.

I don't get it. It was working fine until today. Very, very odd. The only way I've been able to get full travel out of the channel since this problem came about is to change swash mixing to 90° or 1-servo, but this is fairly useless since I have a 140° swashplate arrangement. Both 140° and 120° ccpm setups give me the same problematic SW-L output. To rule out any Tx possibility, I connected the 3 swash servos to an external Rx directly, and this worked just fine- full travel with each servo, responding exactly as they should.

The only other thing I can think of to do is re-load the firmware, but it's nowhere to be found- no download link on the Sk website or anywhere else. If you can offer up the currently released firmware or the beta newer firmware for me to try via email or whatever, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I just spent the last 5 hours or so messing with this trying to get this to work right and all efforts have failed.

My guess is I'll have to send this unit in for an exchange/repair, which means this heli will be down for some time...

Rick/Art, if you could provide some assistance with this I would greatly appreciate it.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old May 09, 2010, 09:01 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 View Post
A strange problem developed today with no apparent cause. The left cyclic servo (SW-A) output appears half-dead. It is only responsive to the lower 50% of collective and lower left quarter of cyclic inputs. Above 50% collective and in the upper right cyclic, nothing. I verified my Tx (JR x9303) monitor screen and everything looks normal- the PC interface shows the full range of input corresponding to the Tx. Different servos plugged into the SW-L channel all behave in the exact same limited manner- not the servo. Other servos plugged into the SW-A channel respond in the same limited-range manner, so it is definitely that channel.

I'm using the Sk-720 as a receiver with dual satellite rx's, use option is 9ch/2 gain/ 2 aux, 6v input via BEC to the power bus, BLS-451 cyclic servos, BLS-251 tail via 5v stepdown. Firmware is 1.00, serial # 1210.

I tried bypassing the power bus, re-sending the setup file to the unit, resetting, rebinding, using an external receiver, doing a little dance while chewing gum with one arm tied behind my back, using different power sources (BEC vs receiver pack)... all no help.

I don't get it. It was working fine until today. Very, very odd. The only way I've been able to get full travel out of the channel since this problem came about is to change swash mixing to 90° or 1-servo, but this is fairly useless since I have a 140° swashplate arrangement. Both 140° and 120° ccpm setups give me the same problematic SW-L output. To rule out any Tx possibility, I connected the 3 swash servos to an external Rx directly, and this worked just fine- full travel with each servo, responding exactly as they should.

The only other thing I can think of to do is re-load the firmware, but it's nowhere to be found- no download link on the Sk website or anywhere else. If you can offer up the currently released firmware or the beta newer firmware for me to try via email or whatever, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I just spent the last 5 hours or so messing with this trying to get this to work right and all efforts have failed.

My guess is I'll have to send this unit in for an exchange/repair, which means this heli will be down for some time...

Rick/Art, if you could provide some assistance with this I would greatly appreciate it.
Remember Rick is just a beta user he is not part of skookum. I know he post alot but even by his own post he is still on the noob side of things!

I would love to send you the beta f/w but I think this would void the NDA. (pretty sure it would)

Your problem doesnt sound like any issue that has come up in beta. It sounds like you have done a lot of trouble shooting that you can. I will pm you some more info
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old May 09, 2010, 09:06 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Looked like the software would run on my old laptop (Thinkpad 600 on Windows ME). Works good at most parts of the software, locks up on the setup wizards. Might have to get a newer model laptop, or install a newer Windows to use at the field.
The problem is that it runs on .NET and other updated vb files! I have tried it on Windows 2000 - Windows 7, Your just one OS behind
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2010, 02:22 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,245 Posts
Yea, It was looking good on the Me Windows, until I got to the setup wizard. I like the old laptop since I can leave it laying around, and not worry much about it being stolen. I think I can run a newer Windows on it, but would be pushing it really hard.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Reloaded 1.0 firmware, loaded my setup file, tried with the basic 3D file and setting it up again, still exhibits the lazy SW-L channel. It's as if the servo is not allowed to travel past half-way. This sounds like a setup issue or some kind of odd channel mixing, but I really think I've exhausted all means.

I'll try again tomorrow with a new Tx model memory from a clean slate just to be sure it's not a Tx setting I missed... but why would it be fine one day and then screwed up the next and I didn't change any Tx settings? All I did was modify the battery tray and swap out tail servos. The desktop interface sometimes displays "ERROR: WATCHDOG" and "ERROR: VOLTAGE." Input voltage from my BEC is 6v... well within the 10v limits.

Nice $425 paperweight that I would like to exchange for a fully functional Sk-720.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,544 Posts
Quote:
The desktop interface sometimes displays "ERROR: WATCHDOG" and "ERROR: VOLTAGE." Input voltage from my BEC is 6v... well within the 10v limits.
I just got my SK720 and also got that message in my first try. After reading the instructions again I found that you are NOT suppose to power the SK720 from the receiver side (IO-A,B,C,D). You must power it from the servo side (SW-C,R,L,A). I just plugged the BEC into the spare SW socket. Once I made that change it works perfectly and I don’t get those messages.

Does your ESC have a built in BEC?

Are you using that BEC or a separate BEC?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 10, 2010, 01:50 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Reloaded 1.0 firmware, loaded my setup file, tried with the basic 3D file and setting it up again, still exhibits the lazy SW-L channel. It's as if the servo is not allowed to travel past half-way. This sounds like a setup issue or some kind of odd channel mixing, but I really think I've exhausted all means.

I'll try again tomorrow with a new Tx model memory from a clean slate just to be sure it's not a Tx setting I missed... but why would it be fine one day and then screwed up the next and I didn't change any Tx settings? All I did was modify the battery tray and swap out tail servos. The desktop interface sometimes displays "ERROR: WATCHDOG" and "ERROR: VOLTAGE." Input voltage from my BEC is 6v... well within the 10v limits.

Nice $425 paperweight that I would like to exchange for a fully functional Sk-720.
Have you sent them an e-mail?

See the last page of the manual for the address.

Art has always been good about swapping out paperweights.

Rick
Old May 10, 2010, 03:53 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,544 Posts
I decided to get one of the new Futaba S-Bus receivers to cut down on the wiring. Does anyone know how to wire it to a SK720?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYYD3&P=7

http://2.4gigahertz.com/sbus/index.html

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 10, 2010, 06:27 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I just got my SK720 and also got that message in my first try. After reading the instructions again I found that you are NOT suppose to power the SK720 from the receiver side (IO-A,B,C,D). You must power it from the servo side (SW-C,R,L,A). I just plugged the BEC into the spare SW socket. Once I made that change it works perfectly and I don’t get those messages.

Does your ESC have a built in BEC?

Are you using that BEC or a separate BEC?

My 60+HV's on-board BEC is disabled- I pulled the red wire from the receiver plug. I'm using a 3s lipo to power my Herc 5A BEC, whose 6v output (I tried it set to 5v too, same results) is wired into the heavier gauge power input wires on the power bus. I'm using the jumper between the high/low sides of the bus. I'm pretty sure I'm following the directions to the T.

I'm sending out an email to Sk to see about an exchange.
Old May 10, 2010, 06:46 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I decided to get one of the new Futaba S-Bus receivers to cut down on the wiring. Does anyone know how to wire it to a SK720?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYYD3&P=7

http://2.4gigahertz.com/sbus/index.html

I understand that it is not available currently, but there are plans for a firmware upgrade.

Rick
Old May 10, 2010, 07:30 PM
Australia, WA, Exmouth
Joined Jan 2010
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Have you sent them an e-mail?

See the last page of the manual for the address.

Art has always been good about swapping out paperweights.

Rick
Of course not. Why do that when you can whinge and bleat on an Internet forum?
Desmogod is online now Find More Posts by Desmogod
Old May 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmogod View Post
Of course not. Why do that when you can whinge and bleat on an Internet forum?
Just wanted to avoid shipping it off and getting that email that says the unit checked out fine and it was just some detail that I missed. I am openly discussing this malfunction for the purpose of its resolution and serve as a reference in case someone else experiences something similar. I'd say that qualifies as a rather appropriate forum usage. If there is a "whinge" or "bleat" mixed in there.... well, send me a bill for the damages. I have a nice shiny toy that now I can't play with.... boo hoo. Yes, I have emailed Skookum tech support. If you have any more constructive bits you'd like to share, let's hear it.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:41 AM
Australia, WA, Exmouth
Joined Jan 2010
348 Posts
I just can't understand people who complain on a forum and then leave the actual contacting of the manufacturer until after they have had their say.
It's almost like people enjoy the pity party and prefer to have a whinge to all and sundry instead of going down the appropriate channels.
I mean, you even asked here for the firmware before contacting Skookum because you couldn't find it on their site. That strikes me as odd.
Desmogod is online now Find More Posts by Desmogod
Old May 11, 2010, 05:38 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quite often when problems arise, experienced or noob, the source is often operator error and outside perspectives can spot overlooked details and may vastly accelerate the resolution process. This is one of the fundamentals of why this forum and many others like it has a reason to exist.

I have yet to see a reply from Sk tech support- expected, since I heard Art is traveling. I'll just have to switch back to my Sk-360 in the meantime.
Last edited by Gadget01; May 11, 2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: posting while you're pissed off is generally not a good idea, however entertaining it may be