HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2010, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
Build Log
FlyFly Mirage 2000 Build time to start ordering more parts

The stock fan in my kit was missing the shaft and nut and washer. Since I cannot find where to order those anywhere I guess I need a new fan unit and a motor atm.

I was looking at the HET 9305 for 45 bucks or a wemo.
This will be on a 62 setup running 6s 5000mah packs

what motor is reliable and not stupid expensive? I have a local supplier of scorpion motors and a few others but looking for somthing that is reliable and cost effective. I have an extra HV85 and ICE 100 ESC to use atm hopfully enough esc lol

Any advice is apprechiated.

also for servos what are most running?
shakaka is offline Find More Posts by shakaka
Last edited by shakaka; Feb 28, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2010, 01:07 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
You can get the Haoye 3.5" fan which uses the exact same rotor as the FlyFly 7 Blade 90mm:

http://www.toysonics.com/3.5inch-89m...-fan-unit.html

The Haoye housing is slightly larger in diameter but nothing a little bit of sandpaper won't cure, or you can just use the included shaft adapter, nut, and washer on your stock fan. You'll have some spare parts if you order this entire fan unit but the price is right.

If you buy another fan unit, you could also get the 6 blade Haoye 3.5" which uses a copy of the very efficient Wemo Midi Rotor:

http://www.toysonics.com/3.5inch-89m...-fan-unit.html

This fan on 6S would need a motor of 1600kv-1700kv to keep your current draw to no more than around the 50A to low 70A range. I've had difficulty finding a reasonably priced inrunner motor in this kv range; the ones that are typically used nowadays are the HET 600-37 which is close to $100. There are some helicopter outrunners at HK in that kv range that may work however, although I'm not that crazy about using high powered outrunners in EDF's unless there is a standoff adapter that moves the motor farther aft into the exhaust air stream for proper cooling. Because of their low price, it may be worth a try. Whichever you choose, careful balancing of these rotors is mandatory.

If you go with the HET 9305 fan (pre-balanced at the factory), you'll need a motor in the 1700kv-1800kv range (from the limited data I have gleaned). Hobby King has a Turnigy 1800kv 36mm x 56mm inrunner that should work fine with a heatsink (I have this motor and will be using it with the 9305 in an up and coming build). Also, this GP Ammo motor would probably work:

http://www.toysonics.com/great-plane...-gpmg5315.html

The best price I've found for the 9305 is from Turbofanelectrics.com for $48 shipped (probably the same place you know of).
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Feb 06, 2010, 01:30 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
If you can find the equivalent of the Medusa 36mm 1600KVA it would be great. I used this on my Mirage 2000 with stock fan unit and had fine results. Too bad they are out of business. I also used the CC 85HV ESC running a 6S Rhino lipoly. With jets, going cheap will usually only get you disappointed, I know, as I first tried a Turnigy motor/ESC setup. Waste of time and money.
LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ
Old Feb 06, 2010, 11:40 PM
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
OMG now that I saw the midi in action this is only a 6s setup... wonder how fast it is

ULTIMATE 6 CELL TOPGUN MIRAGE 2000 from EXTREME RC AUSTRALIA (1 min 22 sec)

but the 8s setup is just sickening

THE ULTIMATE 8 CELL TOPGUN MIRAGE 2000 from EXTREME RADIO CONTROL (2 min 20 sec)

So I think I am going to go with the wemo fan. Just trying to find a great motor that will haul on 6s but not kill my batteries and HV85
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:56 AM
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
so from what I am reading running this plane on 6s the hv85 is going to be pushing its limits?
Old Feb 07, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakaka View Post
so from what I am reading running this plane on 6s the hv85 is going to be pushing its limits?
Not really; it depends on the motor/fan combination and your cooling capacity. The FlyFly/Haoye 7 blade fan on 6S needs a motor between 1350kv to 1500kv to develop reasonable power and to also keep the current draw within reason (below 80A). The Wemo Midi on 6S needs a 1600-1700kv to be in the same range. The HET 9305 on 6S seems be happy within the 1700-1800kv range. I place the ESC of high power EDF's directly in the airstream of the inlet; it gets the most cooling there.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 02:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
oh ok. Out of the choice of fans wemo/het,haoye which is the best fan for speed and reliability out of the 3
Old Feb 07, 2010, 03:31 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakaka View Post
oh ok. Out of the choice of fans wemo/het,haoye which is the best fan for speed and reliability out of the 3
There have been quite a few tests documented on the Wemo and FlyFly/Haoye; less so on the HET as it is fairly new. The Wemo rotor design appears to be more efficient than the FlyFly/Haoye design, developing more thrust for equivalent current draw. The jury is still out on the HET, although I've read favorable comments regarding this fan. The problem with the Wemo is that it's very pricey at $80 for the unit, the HET is next at $48 and of course the FlyFly/Haoye can be had for typically right around the low $20's range.

You can also buy just the Wemo Mini rotor and adapter and use it in your existing FlyFly fan housing; it's a popular upgrade for the FlyFly fans and doesn't cost nearly as much as buying the entire fan unit. Another even less expensive option would be to buy the Haoye 90mm 6 blade fan at $20 which is a copy of the Wemo Midi rotor; you just have to be able to balance it properly. You can also pickup a Starmax 90mm fan from someone who got one in a Starmax kit; that rotor is also a copy of the Wemo Midi.
Last edited by Doubletap; Feb 07, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
well my flyfly mirage kit did come with the fan it was just missing the shaft and washer and nut for it. But from what I read everyone is saying the stock one sucks big time.

Nice thing with the wemo is that is has the intake lip etc which the stock flyfly fan does not.

Local there does not seem to be any retailers or websites that sell the wemo fan in canada or motors for that fact so it wont matter which one to get. I just want the most reliable fan that is going to go fast but not destroy battery packs every 10 flights

The one thing that extreme rc got me going towards the wemo was the sound of the 6s and 8s setup on that wemo it was just screaming and I want it loud
Old Feb 07, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the FlyFly/Haoye rotor design; it's just not quite as efficient as the Wemo design. They are, however pretty well made and of good materials; of course they must be balanced carefully for optimum performance and longevity. I run the Haoye in my FlyFly F-86 Sabre on 6S and have no complaints; it's not a competition plane and I'm too old to run around worrying about what others think so it suits me just fine.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 04:06 PM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
Jetscreamer 90mm for 29.99 at hobblobby says there is non in stock but have the salesguy check the self personaly MC4090 is part number.

Be enough power all day long, You can run it with Het Fan here are the figures I love my combo I'm flying a heavy HET f18 that weighs 6.5 lbs that I can hand launch, you put this in a foam plane and youll be fastest on the block. I had same combo in a f18 form Bananahobby but used a cheap speedcontroller that caught fire, I even had the CCBec I was able to land plane but fire got the plane foam burns quick... use a quality speed controller.

6s 4lbsthrust 55 amps
8s 6lbs thrust 80 amps

30.00 buck need I say more?
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Feb 07, 2010, 04:20 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Jetscreamer 1400 (old design) can be had for very cheap because without a standoff, it gets inadequate cooling which can shorten it's life significantly unless one uses exceptional throttle management. It does work with the Midi on 6S though; 66A and 1400W:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928588
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=16
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928588
Old Feb 07, 2010, 05:59 PM
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
yea the wemo fan up here I believe is 69US plus shipping the HET on the website I found for the 6905 is 48US shipped which is pretty darn good.

Only problem I am having is trying to find a decent place for a motor that is not to far away.

I guess I will just need to keep looking for the right motor etc as I would like to make the purchase only once and not have to tare apart my plane.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 06:44 PM
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
here is some info on the different setups for arc motors. Seems like the HET motor makes more thrust at less Watts meaning they should be easier on ur battery packs correct?

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=626

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=627

still deciding on the motors but these arc motors seem great just not forsale in the US or canada
Old Feb 07, 2010, 09:35 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
This place carries the ARC motors although they don't seem to have a price for the 36-75-1 which is what you would need for the Wemo rotor:

http://www.lightflightrc.com/

You can get HET motors here:

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=734

Check to see if they ship to CA.