Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:52 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I just discovered an old brushed wing dragon in a friends warehouse. I didn' tlose time. I just got it and I need a brushless motor mount. I already charged the 11.1 2200mah battery I had and I need the mount to get it in the air. it sure looks a lot like the skysurfer and I'm gonna do some mods on it. Iittend to extend the Ruder, elevator and ailerons. I'm goin to a local hobby shop right now to get some wood to create a motor mount and a good propeller to get it up i the air. Already have the ESC and all the stuff I need to convert it.

Of course I expect the surfer to perform better but after trying this I'm gonna try the 4S setup STAY TUNED
Quote:
what does that have to do with my question? Anw, if anybody knows please answer. I'm in the amp limits but I m trying a higher voltage battery. 18 amp esc .. 13.6amp draw at full throttle with my 4S 20C battery. Need to know if it's safe to play with this.
I did not see a question in your post. And, I answered the other one.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:04 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Pavcon, no one will ever accuse you of having a lack of ambition when it comes to plane mods. Your obviously an avid rc guy keep us posted on progress. Karl&James
wow1 is online now Find More Posts by wow1
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:07 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
It wasn't a clear answer anw. It was not a YES or NO. wtevr...
anw back to my loud thinking-->
I got lack of mount hardware so I'm gonna try the cheap 10euro brushless motor that I got from a local hobby store as it is.(EMax CF2822 motor-1200kv). Usuallly stuff here,are overpriced.
The motor has a sticker on it stating it's a 10-11"prop motor. I fitted a 7 inch since there is no space to fit a 10" (and the guy there gave me that one). I have another motor that only LOOKS faster with no specs and no nothing.. I'm gonna solder some bullet connectors on it in a few days and see how much thrust I can get from that. From a little vertical test that I did(in my room)it seems that the thrust with the 11.1 lipo is > than the planes weight. with the 4S despite the extra weight it's even wilder
NEXT MOVES-->
1.Now I need a motor riser to use as a mount so that I could fit a larger prop on this thing. anybody with any links where I could buy a thing like that or should I run to custom drawings again ? (which is kind of 3/4 of the fun but my days off are over so my job won't let me the free time that I need)
2.if the 18amp ESC wont' explode I will prepare the 50amp ESC and test both motors. the one I already had and the one that I bought yesterday (btw the 4S pack will be held on a cable tie easy way out)
3. buy some balsa wood and screws with nuts and whatever I need and extend the elevator rudder and ailerons for faster rolls
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Last edited by pavcon; Mar 30, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:33 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:

2.if the 18amp ESC wont' explode I will prepare the 50amp ESC and test both motors. the one I already had and the one that I bought yesterday (btw the 4S pack will be held on a cable tie easy way out)
I strongly recommend that you get one of THESE. It is the most important tool that you can have if you ever change ANYTHING in the power setup. Then, you can answer your own question and know FOR SURE if the setup will work for you.
AJ
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I counted the amps with one of THOSE I already have the specific turnigy watt meter thanks for the recomendation. That is how I get the numbers with the amps and that's why I asked about the ESC thing.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:36 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Ive just prepared the wing dragon .,. I don't expect it to be a vertical "god" but I believe it will fly just fine.
Haven't done any of the aileron/rudder/ elevator mods but the brushless mod is already installed and tested so as the trims on the ground. it's night time here so I will have to wait till tomorrrow I will just see if it can take a 4 cell with the 18amp ESC. If not I will also prepare the 4s setup with the 50amp esc.

EDIT: Just took some measurements with a 4S 2200MAH 20C pack. With stock ESC that is not supposed to be able to do 4s I just measures 13.60amps PEAK at full throttle... Does anybody know if it's safe to use a 4S pack on a 3S ESC if the amps draw is lower than the ESCs
13.6amps @ 221.9watts
Golly, it is hard to get around the simple answer. It "should" work. But, I think you already know the longer answer. Anyhow, here is what I would do. Hook up your 4S and measure the amps used. If is is below 18A (max 17.9), then, you are good to go. If it is even the slightest big over 18A, then, re-prop it with a smaller prop until you get it down to what works. The CF 2822 is rated at 15A max. However, I have run them at 18A with no problems. However, that was on a 9 oz. flat-out foamie. Now, if that works for you, that is good. If not, I don't know what else to do other than get a bigger ESC (not recommended for this motor). But, then, you run the risk of burning out the motor. As you know, all power system parts are dependent on each other and if you change even one of them, the stats change too. Good luck and let me know what you come up with. I hope this helps in some small way.
AJ
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I told you.. it runs at 13.6 on 4S

I just flown it on the 3S and it flies just fine.. time for the bigO 4S brb Either way the motor doesn't run all the time on these planes.. just some bursts to get a little high or a fast turn.. the wing dragon loops easily and Ive even flown it inverted.. (and I'm still inesperienced)

It just flies faster than I thought and the reactions are very good. nuch better than I expected..

EDIT: LOL guys you should see the vertical on the 4S pack.. despide the extra weight and the fact thet its a bit nose ehavy it still flies great. Rolls are even easier and more stable.. (btw It's the 4Ch dragon) and vericals can match the suped-up F-22.. 14amps MAX with the 7.2 inch prop. If I could only find a riser and use a better prop.
Last edited by pavcon; Mar 31, 2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I won't fly it anymore outside the house with the 4S I juct can't resist to the full throttle temptation it's just fast.. I'm heading to the field see ya...
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
I told you.. it runs at 13.6 on 4S

I just flown it on the 3S and it flies just fine.. time for the bigO 4S brb Either way the motor doesn't run all the time on these planes.. just some bursts to get a little high or a fast turn.. the wing dragon loops easily and Ive even flown it inverted.. (and I'm still inesperienced)

It just flies faster than I thought and the reactions are very good. nuch better than I expected..

EDIT: LOL guys you should see the vertical on the 4S pack.. despide the extra weight and the fact thet its a bit nose ehavy it still flies great. Rolls are even easier and more stable.. (btw It's the 4Ch dragon) and vericals can match the suped-up F-22.. 14amps MAX with the 7.2 inch prop. If I could only find a riser and use a better prop.
The 4S does not matter. It is the 13.6A that is important. Since it is under the max of both the ESC and motor specs, Well, then we have come full circle. It should be just fine like I said in my original post.
AJ
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
thanks AJ. the verticals withthe 4s Are unlimited it flies great and flies more than Icould take this plane is just great
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:36 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
thanks AJ. the verticals withthe 4s Are unlimited it flies great and flies more than Icould take this plane is just great
Fantastic. You did good. Congratulations.
AJ
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:16 PM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Sky Surfer

Back to topic "Sky Surfer"
I am cross posting but wanted it posted here also.
I just got an email from BH. Linking to my Sky Surfer w/ brushless upgrade and extra battery order it is shipping today via UPS with an expectd delivery of Tuesday 4/6.
Should be receiving it 6 business days after placing the order.
Hope it is good to go and RTF!
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
NICE...
happy for ya mate.. happy glying when it gets there...
Anothe r satisfied customer...
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:11 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Thanks for the update but never doubted it. This plane will make you smile it's great fun and the price just makes it better.
wow1 is online now Find More Posts by wow1
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:32 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
I received mine today (kit/ARF version) and it looks great. I'm not going to glue the wings together as the manual states. I'll just use Blenderm to hold the wings on like I do with my Radian. The watt meter shows 150w at 12.5A with the stock brushless motor and 20A ESC that came with it. The only nit-picks were the aileron rods were way too long even with the clevis screwed all the way in. I cut the z bends off and used Dubro E-Z connectors. I used the micro E-Z connectors for the rudder and elevator. There's also a bit of slop between aileron clevis and control horn. Maybe 1/16" or so. Since this isn't a precision ship I'll leave it and see how it flies first. I haven't seen a Multiplex EZ Star in person so I can't compare the Sky Surfer to it. The foam seems durable though. For the $66 I spent for it I'm happy.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal