Westwood - nice vid, I like the rainbow out on the water

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Hobbyking Bixler aka Sky Surfer (6 min 31 sec)

westwood's channel www.youtube.com/user/9westwood9/
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:10 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Westwood - nice vid, I like the rainbow out on the water

Kman
thanks
Last edited by Westwood; Apr 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:26 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Hobbyking Bixler aka Sky Surfer (5 min 53 sec)

westwood's channel www.youtube.com/user/9westwood9/
Last edited by Westwood; Apr 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I just received the Banana Hobby Sky Surfer V4 (version 4), which has the new wing attachment design and other improvements (ie, different spars embedded in the wings).

Anyone else out there actually flying this new Version 4 yet? If so, how does the new wing attachment design hold up in aggressive flight?

Some photos I posted in the other Sky Surfer thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12309
Hello all! I bought the version 4 Sky Surfer. I'm yet to put it together, but like someone previously mentioned, there are major improvements. I'll put up some pics in the days to come. Here's what I noticed as improvements on V4 compared to V3.

WINGS: The inner sections where the wings meet the body no longer fit together like puzzle pieces. For example, the left wing has a top section, and the right wing has a bottom section. As you can imagine, they fit together top and bottom. The top and bottom sections also have holes lined with washers, to help align and keep the wings in place with 3-inch screws that go in the top of the body. While I can't figure out how to actually screw them in (they stick out of the top about 1/4"), I bought some rare earth magnets and plan on epoxying them in place of the washers. The carbon (or graphite) shaft in the wings seem to be a glued 3-piece setup (2 dowels with a pipe mount already glued together). The aileron servos now have a foam section of the wing guarding them.

BODY: From front to back, the cockpit cover now gives you the option of adding a figurine with the canopy, or you can leave it open, making for easy camera mounting. It's still held on by magnets, but some thick produce rubber bands (from celery) put my mind at ease with the mounted camera. Where the wings meet the body, there's now a layer of balsa wood, perhaps what they intended the 3" wing screws for. The motor mount now has a removable section for easy access to the motor for modding. The bottom area of the motor mount is reinforced (thicker) between the motor and the tail-section

RUDDER and ELEVATOR: The size of both are unchanged. The servo horns (the plastic parts that mount to the actual ailerons, rudder, and elevator) are now a 2-piece assembly. The main piece goes on the under side and sandwiches the aileron with a plate piece. They come with screws, but epoxy never let me down like screws tend to.

MOTOR and PROPELLER: I threw the box away, so I can't remember the specs exactly, but the motor appears unchanged (making the brushless version standard). The propeller is far more aggressive, similar if not exactly a 6 x 4 setup.

In short, I haven't put the V4 together yet because my significant other wanted me to destroy the V3 since it "takes up so much space in my craft room!" She's coming around though, she wants to learn to fly on the V3. Hope you enjoyed the easy read.
R0FL eTz W4FFLE is offline Find More Posts by R0FL eTz W4FFLE
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:32 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Thanks.. That was very helpful. Now I need to know if the arf versions that banana hobby carries are v4
I want another one as my previous v3 got really old especialky after starting to fly it real hard
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
The last two ARFs I bought from BH were V4. I believe the spare parts are also V4 now.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartMike View Post
The last two ARFs I bought from BH were V4. I believe the spare parts are also V4 now.
thanks man that's very good to know..
back with the v3 there was a lot of work to make the wings removable and be safe.. also the spar needed reinforcement because it was breaking with some hard flying..

I also think that I read somehwre that the main wing spar of the V4 is also longer?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:43 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
thanks man that's very good to know..
back with the v3 there was a lot of work to make the wings removable and be safe.. also the spar needed reinforcement because it was breaking with some hard flying..

I also think that I read somehwre that the main wing spar of the V4 is also longer?
Will be flying my Sky Surfer over the water tomorrow. Gonna take some video of the whole thing...should be cool!! There is a float fly this weekend and I will use it to do some areal shots...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
also got some floats ready for mynext skysurfer.. I decided to retire mine
I have one ready but it's not mine.. I built it for a friend to start flying..
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
I'm going to purchase a sky surfer on or around the 1st. any suggestions on the best site to pick one up at? best prices and customer service.
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
banana hobby
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
banana hobby
sold out, anyone else?
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
hk but they have the older versions
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:43 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Canada day

west sechelt sea watch bixler Aerial View with gopro 2 (6 min 11 sec)