HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:02 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,932 Posts
My stock motor burned out....so I got this in its place. Rocket 1880kv motor...Put on a 7X5 prop to start and it feels really strong! only drawint 28 amps and I have a 40amp ESC. Should be good!! test flights tomorrow...

gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:34 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,932 Posts
I flew it today. 400watts at 28+ amps and this thing is a rocket! I was able to do donuts on the ground at half throttle and it rose off of grass at half throttle as well. Accelerates while climbing now and still has the same awesome glide performance as before. I got a 26 minute flight with mixed flying before it needed to be recharged. With less full throttle I am sure that I could get an hour flight time out of it. Very happy with this set up and the 7X5 prop is just what it needed! so much better now!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:48 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
$2 gopro mount

$2 mount for go pro

bixler with gopro (3 min 22 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Last edited by Westwood; Jan 20, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:11 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I flew it today. 400watts at 28+ amps and this thing is a rocket! I was able to do donuts on the ground at half throttle and it rose off of grass at half throttle as well. Accelerates while climbing now and still has the same awesome glide performance as before. I got a 26 minute flight with mixed flying before it needed to be recharged. With less full throttle I am sure that I could get an hour flight time out of it. Very happy with this set up and the 7X5 prop is just what it needed! so much better now!
Did you reinforce your wing spar?
wow1 is online now Find More Posts by wow1
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Did you reinforce your wing spar?
I put a smaller carbon rod inside of the existing one to make it even stiffer. Yes it helps a lot and the wings barely flex now. But I never fly full throttle straight and level. Its just too much power!! All of that power is used for climbing only....
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I'm gonna put the second sky surfer together tonight.. same mods as the first one.. removable wing setup flaperons for fun.. ets.
only difference I miss the extra carbon rod that i slided in the stock one for reinforcement.
might visit my lhs tomorrow to see if I can find one. build shouldn't take more than 2 hours with some series on the laptop playing at the same time..
But first Barca Vs Real Madrid
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:12 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
I just received the Banana Hobby Sky Surfer V4 (version 4), which has the new wing attachment design and other improvements (ie, different spars embedded in the wings).

Anyone else out there actually flying this new Version 4 yet? If so, how does the new wing attachment design hold up in aggressive flight?

Some photos I posted in the other Sky Surfer thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12309
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I just received the Banana Hobby Sky Surfer V4 (version 4), which has the new wing attachment design and other improvements (ie, different spars embedded in the wings).

Anyone else out there actually flying this new Version 4 yet? If so, how does the new wing attachment design hold up in aggressive flight?

Some photos I posted in the other Sky Surfer thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12309

wow.. that's just great...
great improvements.. v1-v2 was a big step up..
well v4 looks to be alittle heavier though.. still it can handel some extra weightwith ease..
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
decided not to finish my second sky surfer... I'm gonna finish everything but the wings..
I will use these multiplex multilocks to secure the wings in a more tidy way.. cause on my first I used the hooks and rubber method.. worked just fine but a cleaner work will be better. besides it's not more than 4 days shipping from Germany to cyprus
http://www.technicom-shop.de/Multipl...lock-Uni-Set_1
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
I love! The skysurfer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
So anyway with a little help from some friends here are the pictures of the Sky Surfer and my son Thanks Mark.
Hello, the skysurfer is an awesome! Airplane. i learned to fly on it an was so impressed that I got my nephew one.

A couple of suggestions..
1) get the clearview simulator It has a skysurfer that flies like the real one.

2) practice on the simulator using ailerons nit also set it up 3 channels. Your son may get nervous first time and rudder only is more forgiving.

3) go to a big field. Plan what you are going to do in the sim and then fly that when you maiden. And practice!

4) get a good transmitter with multipl models and expo dual rates and from now on just get a Rx. Youll be hooked!
pedrosura is offline Find More Posts by pedrosura
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:32 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,932 Posts
Very funny video of us goofing off with out skysurfers this weekend...

Sky Surfer Side Show at Baylands (0 min 44 sec)
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:03 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hmmm a new Sky Surfer, what have I been missing?!
wow1 is online now Find More Posts by wow1
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
yeah.. dettachable main wingsand
Edit: and new motor mount easy to reach and work on the motor.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,932 Posts
I totally smashed mine up this weekend flying it in some really heavy winds....but within about 15 mins I had it back together and flying again! Gotta love this plane!
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Rainbow&Seagull

Hobbyking Bixler aka Sky Surfer (6 min 5 sec)

westwood's channel www.youtube.com/user/9westwood9/
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood