HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:25 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey Pavcon, 90mm is f18 from banana hobby looks awesome!! As always no club snobs allowed!!!!!

Not a foam plane but still a bunch of fun no old men allowed!!!!!
RX1 top speed run perfect conditions (0 min 22 sec)
12/31/2010 James @ indicated 135mph Boys just wanna have fun!!!!
Yamaha rx1 top speed 135mph (1 min 14 sec)

Happy New Year Karl&James
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Jan 01, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:36 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
How this thread got started.
Banana Hobby sky surfer assembly (7 min 16 sec)
No shirt no shoes no problem!!!!

Its all about the fun
Karl&James
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:40 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
darn.. I'm at work now and I can't see youtube videos... I can bypass the proxies but still the bandwidth is reduce..I will see the videos in 8 hours when I get home. P
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:48 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
How this thread got started. No shirt no shoes no problem!!!!

Its all about the fun
Karl&James
Nice Vid.
Can I borrow him for the weekend? I have about 6 planes to build.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:43 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
He's got a pretty tight schedule but says he'll be able to work you in!!!!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,416 Posts
Sky Sufer Winter Flight

Hello Sky Surfer fans!!! Hope you are all having a wonderous winter

Where I live it has been pretty typical; cold and snowy. But, it doesn't stop me from getting a flight or two in every once in awhile. Here is a flight of my surroundings after a fresh 6 inches of the white stuff.

Sky Surfer Winter Flight (8 min 7 sec)

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:21 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Glad your not frozen!!!
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:11 PM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
My SkyS

This is my first post and really have no clue what I am doing but here goes.
I ordered my SkyS from Banana Hobby on 1/21/2011 (sat)
Order confirmed on 1/24/2011
Order shipped on 1/25/2011
Order arrived here in Henderson "OF Course" 1/26/2011
Shipping was very fast so fast that the Tx/RX were not in the box. Got hold of BH chat on 1/26/2011 Lex said send photos. I did and got no response back. Chatted again on 1/30/2011 BH said that they needed more photos so I sent 14 more. Later that day I email that TX / RX will ship in 2-3 days. Thrus 2/3/2011 will be day three. Today I was looking at fuselage and noticed that the motor is not mounted straight in the housing. Back to BH chat Kent said that I can reseat and reglue motor. Any thoughts on how to "unseat motor?"
Robert JH is offline Find More Posts by Robert JH
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:42 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Apr 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Hello Sky Surfer fans!!! Hope you are all having a wonderous winter

Where I live it has been pretty typical; cold and snowy. But, it doesn't stop me from getting a flight or two in every once in awhile. Here is a flight of my surroundings after a fresh 6 inches of the white stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8AgZhiXXZU

KMan
Cool vid Kman.... 808HD?

BTW, this 'white stuff' as you as you call it sure is purdy.
TorontoR is offline Find More Posts by TorontoR
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:50 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert JH View Post
Today I was looking at fuselage and noticed that the motor is not mounted straight in the housing. Back to BH chat Kent said that I can reseat and reglue motor. Any thoughts on how to "unseat motor?"
Robert - it is good to have some angle on the motor because it helps offset rotational forces of the motor onto your fuselage. If I were you, I would leave it as it is. Over time, though, you will see that it does naturally want to straighten out on its own.

As for your TX/RX, make sure you keep on BH about getting that to you. It is pretty hard to fly without those pieces. Key is to be persistent

Good luck!

KMan
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:04 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoR View Post
Cool vid Kman.... 808HD?
Thanks! No, my HD camera is a Sony Webbie. It is a little big, but it works good for planes such as the Sky Surfer. It is actually a great camera if I ever wanted to do live FPV with because it does have video outputs on it. But any plane smaller would need something like the keyfob camera or such.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665736688

Do you have one of the HD keyfob cameras?
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:13 PM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Hey KMan Thanks for your input about no crooked motor mount.

I just got done "chatting" with Lex at BH. My Tx/Rx still has not shipped but Lex said thay are working on it. So for now I guess that I will just keep watching and waiting.
Robert JH is offline Find More Posts by Robert JH
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Hi,
This is my 1st post in the forum and I wanted to put a little input into the motor alignment of the Sky Surfer.
I have found that a motor alignment that is in straight alignment with the foam cowling works perfect on the Sky Surfer. A very slight upward angle is ok, but the side to side angle of motor shaft should be kept aligned as straight as possible with the fuselage of the Sky Surfer for best performance. The Surfer will fly pretty good even if its not straight, but the alignment on Robert JH airplane is a bit more than what is usually seen on a Sky Surfer. If the motor alignment is too extreme, the airplane will fly, but the airplane will tend to resist easy turning in one direction under power when using the rudder to steer. Sometimes by holding the cowling in one hand and using the other hand and applying a little steady finger or thumb pressure on the shaft will straighten the motor alignment a little bit by compressing the glue and foam behind the mounted motor. Just don't over apply the pressure or you could crack and break the cowling in your hand.

Ray
Pilot Ray is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:26 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
Today I was looking at fuselage and noticed that the motor is not mounted straight in the housing. Back to BH chat Kent said that I can reseat and reglue motor. Any thoughts on how to "unseat motor?"
The topic of changing motors and mounting motors on the SkyS has been addressed in this thread. I think they recommend prying open the fuselage around the pylon and then re-mounting the motor using some "Plumbers Goop".

I have a SkyS and a similar glider, the Clouds Fly, and neither of them have the motor offset to the left or right. Your motor offset does appear to be on the extreme side, IMO.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:39 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
The topic of changing motors and mounting motors on the SkyS has been addressed in this thread. I think they recommend prying open the fuselage around the pylon and then re-mounting the motor using some "Plumbers Goop".

I have a SkyS and a similar glider, the Clouds Fly, and neither of them have the motor offset to the left or right. Your motor offset does appear to be on the extreme side, IMO.
Very extreme. There is no reason for it to be angled like that. Someone screwed up installing it.
Some are held in with double sided tape. Work around the motor with your x-acto knife and if necessary slice open the nacelle some to work loose. The foam glues back together easy with regular ca.
Plumbers Goop holds the motor it very well.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/plumbing.htm
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE