HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:05 PM
Registered User
wow1's Avatar
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey Gene, You made me laugh thanks!!! Glad to here you like the plane and look forward to hearing about your first flight. Hey if everyone decides to modify their SKY Surfers and sends me their washers maybe I can afford another plane. Anyone know what metal prices are now??? I really want that Sky Wagon on floats.

Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Apr 25, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Nice. Got a link to that motor? Is that from Grayson Hobbies?
yes.. that's the one... you should try it.. TONS and TONS of power does verticals at my 7x4 prop (notro prop meanning it's even heavier) like a real jet

I also got a 7x6e prop waiting imagine that
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:59 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
yes.. that's the one... you should try it.. TONS and TONS of power does verticals at my 7x4 prop (notro prop meanning it's even heavier) like a real jet

I also got a 7x6e prop waiting imagine that
That's a nice motor but be careful with amp draw. With a SS and a 6x4 prop it will have great thrust and about 20amp draw. A 7x4 or better can push it over its 28amp limits. Also the SS isn't meant to do 93mph. At faster speeds the wings will start to flex on turning causing the ailerons to bind and either loss of control or folding a wing, in it's stock form. What you want on your SS is thrust, not speed. Basically the more speed you have the less thrust and vise versa. Start adding carbon fiber and glue the wings in then the syk's the limit. I have a EZ with a 2000kv E-Flite 6 series and 2200mAh lipo and will go vertical forever, but can't catch a FunJet on top speed.
I'd suggest a APC6x4 prop, check amps with a wattmeter and adjust from there. Don't over power your airframe.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:10 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
kman24's Avatar
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,902 Posts
Motor Wiring

I made three 12" extension wires with the quick connects to install from the BL motor to the ESC. This is the first time I have ever had to do this. All my other planes didn't have a need for the motor to be that far from the ESC. A question for those with the RTF model; does it have these extension wires soldered direclty onto the ESC or does it have the quick disconnects? I put the disconnects on mine in case I have to change out the motor or ESC.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:36 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
I made three 12" extension wires with the quick connects to install from the BL motor to the ESC. This is the first time I have ever had to do this. All my other planes didn't have a need for the motor to be that far from the ESC. A question for those with the RTF model; does it have these extension wires soldered direclty onto the ESC or does it have the quick disconnects? I put the disconnects on mine in case I have to change out the motor or ESC.

KMan
Your esc to extensions should be soldered. Use 3.5 barrel connectors from extensions to motor. Make all 3 wires the exact same length. Do not cut, modify or try to extend the wires off the motor.(leave those connectors alone) They are coated strands that can not be soldered reliably without a lot of hassle.
That said, I always extend the battery leads off the esc to the battery. I know many glider pilots who extend them up to 24inches without issues, even though some say not to. A brushless motor is a 3 phase motor that gets its power from the esc in timed positive bursts,one at a time on each motor wire. If these wires are not equal in length it can cause minor performance issues with the motor. No issues will develop with extending the battery leads as long as you keep the same or better wire gauge size.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:08 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
kman24's Avatar
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Your esc to extensions should be soldered. Use 3.5 barrel connectors from extensions to motor. Make all 3 wires the exact same length. Do not cut, modify or try to extend the wires off the motor.(leave those connectors alone) They are coated strands that can not be soldered reliably without a lot of hassle.
That said, I always extend the battery leads off the esc to the battery. I know many glider pilots who extend them up to 24inches without issues, even though some say not to. A brushless motor is a 3 phase motor that gets its power from the esc in timed positive bursts,one at a time on each motor wire. If these wires are not equal in length it can cause minor performance issues with the motor. No issues will develop with extending the battery leads as long as you keep the same or better wire gauge size.

Q
Thanks for the guidance. I am not messing with the motor wires since they are already have the male disconnects. However, the channel that the extensions travel through from motor to the ESC is tight and I want to be able to unplug the ESC or the motor without having to fish wires all the way through there everytime. My extensions are all the same length. I am just adding an additional set of the 3.5mm disconnects. I will take a picture and post soon.
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
kman24's Avatar
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,902 Posts
Here is a picture of the setup with the extension wires that I made between the motor and the ESC. I tested it out and the motor works the good and smooth whether I have the extensions in place or without them. This way, I can unplug the motor or the ESC without having to remove the extension wires.
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:47 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Here is a picture of the setup with the extension wires that I made between the motor and the ESC. I tested it out and the motor works the good and smooth whether I have the extensions in place or without them. This way, I can unplug the motor or the ESC without having to remove the extension wires.
That will work fine, but get some heat shrink on those bare connections. You don't want contact between those lines in use. Your esc won't take kindly to that.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
kman24's Avatar
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
That will work fine, but get some heat shrink on those bare connections. You don't want contact between those lines in use. Your esc won't take kindly to that.

Q
Definitely! Right now I just have electrical tape covering them to test with. I plan on adding heat shrink on these before I install everything in the plane. Speaking of ESC's, I was going to use an old ESC from one of my decommissioned planes but it didn't work very well. It didn't have much range of speed control (almost on or off) and caused the motor to jerk when I would rev the motor from idle. It had a little burnt smell to it so I am guessing that it didn't like the last crash from the old plane that it was in. The one that I am using now though works flawlessly.
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:43 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Definitely! Right now I just have electrical tape covering them to test with. I plan on adding heat shrink on these before I install everything in the plane. Speaking of ESC's, I was going to use an old ESC from one of my decommissioned planes but it didn't work very well. It didn't have much range of speed control (almost on or off) and caused the motor to jerk when I would rev the motor from idle. It had a little burnt smell to it so I am guessing that it didn't like the last crash from the old plane that it was in. The one that I am using now though works flawlessly.
Nice. Most esc's can be programed to your transmitter for throttle control by powering up with TX at WOT and then returning to idle (off) It will then learn your RXs throttle range....but they are cheap enough to replace if you think they are acting up. No need to take a chance crashing a plane if issues are noticed that are abnormal.
Never trust electrical tape. Heat and air pollution break down the adhesive and leave you with a gooey mess. Use heat shrink. That's why cave men invented it.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:24 PM
Registered User
fredtrae's Avatar
brooklyn ny
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
hi i just got the sky surfer from bh. with the brushless upgrade i notice the motor is pointing up and not straight i haven't flown it yet is this a problem or would it be ok am hoping somebody tell me something thank u......
fredtrae is offline Find More Posts by fredtrae
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:30 AM
Registered User
wow1's Avatar
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey Fred, Mine is like that as well flies great enjoy. Keep us updated on your progress.



Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Apr 26, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 06:21 PM
Registered User
wow1's Avatar
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Just ordered that Sky Wagon on floats. Wonder if it comes with washers!!!!!!!!! Should make for some good on board videos.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
9 Posts
hey guys just got my sky surfer in this morning and when i ordered it they were out of the glue so i wanted to know what the best type of glue to buy so i can put it together and get it flying this weekend thanks
sniklac is offline Find More Posts by sniklac
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:35 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
kman24's Avatar
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,902 Posts
Glue to Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniklac View Post
hey guys just got my sky surfer in this morning and when i ordered it they were out of the glue so i wanted to know what the best type of glue to buy so i can put it together and get it flying this weekend thanks
I use regular 5-minute epoxy from the local hardware store. Doesn't matter what brand. I generally get the Gorilla Glue brand. Another glue I typically like to use mainly for repairs is the Gorilla Glue White. It puffs up when it dries, so you have to make sure that that your parts are held together tight. But, it is strong stuff and for white foam it dries white. Looks good after is is done.
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 02:14 AM
Discussion AXN Floater-Jet vs. Sky Surfer by banana superblue Electric Plane Talk 10 Aug 22, 2010 11:51 PM
Discussion BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Aerobatic Flench Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Feb 13, 2010 03:17 PM
Wanted Looking to buy a Gondola for a Sky Surfer/ or similar guyg Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 27, 2009 02:45 AM
Discussion Looking for a Sky Surfer Paraglider GONDOLA to BUY guyg Parkflyers 0 Aug 27, 2009 02:34 AM