HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:05 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey JP, Just finished downloading this video made with that camera. The plane that it's on is a brand new Sky Surfer RTF my son put together last night. The plane is the brushless upgraded model it's being flown using only stock components. I think the way the plane flies speaks for itself.
Have not been able to change the date on the camera the directions are a little hard to understand!!!

Spy Cam on Sky Surfer (10 min 11 sec)

Karl

OOps!! forgot to mention that my 12 year old James assembled the plane.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Apr 25, 2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Got yelled at!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,915 Posts
Karl, I like your video! How high are you getting? It seems like you are getting so high that it would be hard to see the plane.

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:19 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Hey JP, Just finished downloading this video made with that camera. The plane that it's on is a brand new Sky Surfer RTF I put together last night. The plane is the brushless upgraded model it's being flown using only stock components. I think the way the plane flies speaks for itself.
Have not been able to change the date on the camera the directions are a little hard to understand!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUOX8FWr7Y

Karl
Create tag.txt file
write in it [date] 2010/04/25 10:15pm OR am or whatever the time or date is..
close the file
copy it at the root directory of your cameras memory
remove the usb
start the camera...
close the camera
restart it...

done

EDIT: oh and btw..it slies sooo bloody smooth.. my WD was destroyed yesterday do to a a hard glitch of the radio.. now the radio is dead.. don't know why. it's just dtook a nice nose dive while I was gliding.. maybe intereferance then but now the radio is actaually dead. (or the receiver)
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Last edited by pavcon; Apr 25, 2010 at 02:25 AM. Reason: comment:
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
does the brushed arf skysurfer come with a mount where I can put my 2200kv ? ? ?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:00 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey Kman, Me and google earth!!!! I don't look away even for a instant!!!! The plane gets a little on the small side.

Pavcon, Did you change the date on yours or are you going by past experience???

Altitude,Altitude,Altitude!!!!
Karl
Last edited by wow1; Apr 25, 2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:20 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Motor Mount

Hey Pavcon, Maybe these pictures will help. This is the brush less. I'm thinking the brushed is not a lot different can't be one hundred on it though.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:57 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,915 Posts
Hey Karl, how long are your wires from the speed controller to the motor? All my speed controllers have short wires on them so I think I am going to have to solder on some extensions in order to reach. That or get some more of those bullet connectors so that I can just plug them in.

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:07 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Kman, Measuring what I can see and estimating for the bends 10". That's not including factory wires on the motor. Hope that answers your question. Total wire length from the speed controler to the motor is about 12" including the wires that are factory installed on the motor itself.

Karl
Last edited by wow1; Apr 25, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I have an ESC and a brushless motor and all that I need.. I just need the ARF kit + the motor mount... It's the mount that I ;m worried about.. anyone got the brushed ARF version?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Hey Kman, Me and google earth!!!! I don't look away even for a instant!!!! The plane gets a little on the small side.

Pavcon, Did you change the date on yours or are you going by past experience???

Altitude,Altitude,Altitude!!!!
Karl
Mine haven't arrivedd yet but a friend ordered the exact same thing form the link and I did it on his camera on my pc
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:07 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
I'm using a mac things are a little different and I'm still getting used to it.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok send me your e-mail and I will send you the file or if you have MSN messenger tell me your e-mail to add you
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:09 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I have an ESC and a brushless motor and all that I need.. I just need the ARF kit + the motor mount... It's the mount that I ;m worried about.. anyone got the brushed ARF version?
What motor do you have?

I just got my SS kit with the BL upgrade. Fit and finish looks good. Lighter then the EZ Star. Control rods seem a bit thin but will hold judgment on those until later. There's a groove on the bottom for the 72mhz antenna to run along like the EZ. It didn't have a tube in the box for it, dunno if its there in the RTF model but would add strength to the fuse if used. The 2.4Ghz guys could glue in a carbon fiber tube but not the 72Mhz guys. Don't want to run your 72mhz antenna through CF. Since I'm using 72mhz on this, (I think), I'll fine a fiberglass or plastic tube to glue in place.
The motor mount with the BL is interesting. Holds the motor out of the fuse so a you could use a lower kv motor with a larger prop if desired. Also a 28mm can inrunner seems to fit into the narcell nice. Nice to have options with a plane. The finish on the fuse ,wings and tail is beautiful. Much slicker the the EZ. Not as much foam reinforcement in the fuse as the EZ has but seems strong enough. The stock control horns seem fine for this application with the light control rods. The prop matches up with the stock EZ's prop, though the SS is lighter should work very well. Never was a fan of the stock EZ prop on the heavier EZ.
All in all, very impressed with the unit. Price was very reasonable and the deal with Banana Hobbies went very smooth.
This plane seems much lighter then a stock EZ and should out fly it in calm conditions. A heavier plane does more damage to itself on a crash. The lighter ones just seem to bounce better and have less damage.
Can't wait to get her together and in the air. Seems like a great starter plane in it's stock form or intermediate project with some modifications. This seems like a great way to start since it will preform great for a new pilot and can grow with you as you progress and want more weight/power or FPV action.
With the kit they give you a bag of washers. The general rule of RC airplanes is never to add unnecessary weight to a plane. In a perfect world you would shift the battery around to get the perfect COG but sometimes this isn't possible. Then you would use a washer or two to balance the plane. Also in this case you may want to add some washers ON THE COG to make the plane heavier to penetrate the wind better. This should not be messed with UNTIL you have some experience flying with the stock set up. Being heavier and a little bit nose heavy helps on windier days. Don't mess with this until you have plenty of experience flying on calm days. Basically, if things are working well for you, don't mes with success.

Q

ps. Anyone got Karl's address so I can send him my extra washers? him?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Apr 25, 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I have the supersonic V2 2200kv
I already used it on my wingdragon that I crashed yesterday due to radio failure...
That thing has got TONS of power
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:51 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I have the supersonic V2 2200kv
I already used it on my wingdragon that I crashed yesterday due to radio failure...
That thing has got TONS of power
Nice. Got a link to that motor? Is that from Grayson Hobbies?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE