HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:53 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1 Posts
So I'm confused, do you like the plane or hate it AJ? You say you love it, but you also say you hate every stock component on it. I have to agree with WOW1's rebuttle, and I see no disrespect. As a perspective buyer, I find myself taking WOW1's posts more seriously than yours, since everyone else seems to love the plane also.

Perhaps if you're so savvy with these planes, you could offer an affordable kit to us?
capitalcrew is offline Find More Posts by capitalcrew
Last edited by capitalcrew; Apr 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:47 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey JP, Glad to here your flying and enjoying your stock Sky Surfer. Congrats on the use of the ailerons. Unfortunately my wing is epoxied on and I can't readily measure the wing spar for you. If someone else here doesn't do it for you my other planes are in transit and I'll be more than glad to measure it when they arrive.I also hope people read posts like this and understand that yes in fact this 129.00 RTF plane can and is being flown and enjoyed by people just getting started in the hobby.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:02 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
This unedited video was taken a couple of days ago using one of our Brushless Sky Surfers.
This plane is stock "with washers"!!!!!! ( No grass skirts used in the making of this video!!
My son James provided some entertainment on his CR85.
Camera that I used is a twenty nine dollar spy cam from hobypartz it's about the size of a flash drive.

Try watching this in 1080 not sure if it makes a big difference but what the heck.
One last thing if you would subscribe to my sons Utube site it would be greatly appreciated. He is the one handling the videos. Thanks

Here's how the flight unfolded.
1) Removed the plane from the Box
2) Used twenty minutes to assemble "preferred method"
3) Used 15 more seconds to mount camera "preferred method duct tape"
4) Spent a full 45 seconds walking across the street."yes you guessed it Preferred method"
5) Lastly smiled the whole time I posted this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " Absolutely Preferred"

Sorry you took my review of your review personally aj. Just think the statements are misleading and a little scary to people looking to enter this hobby on a time and or money budget. I stand by the fact that this plane can and is flown in the 129.00 Rtf which makes it an Ideal package for someone considering RC.Oh by the way my dog is in fact much bigger than yours!!!!!!! LOL WOOF WOOF!!
Gad. This is starting to become a bash aj thread.
wow1. I like to read your post on the SS. You make nice vids and promote the plane very well, almost too well. I almost wonder if you're being compensated by BH in some form.
I'm still waiting on my SS to be delivered so I can't comment on it. Perhaps I'll be as satisfied as you with the stock set up and wonder why anyone would try to change it. I doubt it though. Things can always be improved upon no matter how minor. I have 20 planes and they all needed something.

aj gave his assessment and modifications he thought were needed. They didn't seem to go over with you very well with you. He could have explained who,what and why better I suppose to assure new pilots that they were modifications and not repairing faults in the basic design,. Perhaps aj should start a Modified Sky Surfer thread and that be that.
But..I feel that if your posts are filled with little shots and cuts against another persons opinion then it detracts from the information you are trying to provide, and also stops other users from offering their suggestions or tips in fear of being singled out and made fun of.
If this thread is for the stock Sky Surfer with no modifications only, then state that and I (and I'm sure aj) will leave and not interfere anymore.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:45 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Organized thoughts on mods - more info gained

I flew the SkyS 8 times today and trained my neighbors son to fly it. The more I fly this plane, the more I like it. I started out liking before I flew it. I am pleased that it more than met my expectations (after some changes). So, here is a mod list that I recommend after todays flying and consultation with 5 other pilots on other threads that have seen the videos.
1. Take out the washers. They are not only unnecessary but after much testing today, any weight added to the plane causes tip-stalls - a disaster to a beginning pilot. All of my cohorts agree that if weight is needed for windy days (a beginner should not be flying then anyhow) to add weight via a steel rod in the wing joiner (spar). The altered flying characteristics with the washers in was quite dramatic to them when comparing the landings on the video. The washers are a definite liability. Watch the video a couple of times and you will see what we mean.
2. Replace all control horns. The ones that come with the plane are too thin and cause two problems. The elevator horn breaks easily during landing. Mostly, the problem is that there is way too much side to side play in the linkages causing sloppy control authority.
3. The ESC is too substandard to use. If it is run down to LVC, ALL electronic will stop working.
4. Replace the prop with a TGS 6x4E prop. It is less than 1/2 as loud as the stock prop and produces 30oz of thrust at a paltry 11.8a. Flights today lasted 24-41mins with the stock battery and THIS battery. All flights that were longer than 31 minutes were with the newer battery. I highly recommend it. They are out of them right now because they sell so fast.
5. Attach the wings however you choose (magnets, velcro, rubber band method, or glue. This MUST be done.
6. optional - a 3mm carbon fiber rod under the bottom of the fuselage. My other members of the team think is is necessary to avoid fuselage flex. (it is done routinely on the EZ*)
7. The ideal CG for this plane is 72mm from LE. For raw beginners, 68mm is the minimum recommended.
8. Since I started with an RR (ordered an ARF), I have no opinion on the radio gear.

There was a total of 6 RCG members that helped with the above suggestions. Like anything else, you can take what you want and leave the rest. The above is what worked best for me after about 15 flights and 6+ hours of flight testing and too many hours of bench testing. The jury is still out on motor recommendations except as noted above. I might modify the above from time to time. I just packaged up my SkyS to send to one of the guys that helped me with the above information and I will get a full report from him (I have another ARF on order - I love this plane). Have fun and Happy Flying.
AJ
P.S. and if you don't securely attach the wings........
Spinning wings (0 min 32 sec)
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:47 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
So I'm confused, do you like the plane or hate it AJ? You say you love it, but you also say you hate every stock component on it. I have to agree with WOW1's rebuttle, and I see no disrespect. As a perspective buyer, I find myself taking WOW1's posts more seriously than yours, since everyone else seems to love the plane also.

Perhaps if you're so savvy with these planes, you could offer an affordable kit to us?
See my latest review above. I love this plane. I hate the ESC and control horns. I have another ARF and parts on order. I have some radical plans for the two planes I am getting in that order. See below. BH took care of me. Thanks Saralyn.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 20, 2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:51 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Perhaps aj should start a Modified Sky Surfer thread and that be that.

Q
Great Idea. So, I did. Here is that thread that you suggested:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231310
AJ
P.S. If anyone wants to work a bit outside the box from time to time, you are certainly welcome to follow the thread. I will be over on that thread if anyone has questions.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:58 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
This unedited video was taken a couple of days ago using one of our Brushless Sky Surfers.
This plane is stock "with washers"!!!!!! ( No grass skirts used in the making of this video!!
My son James provided some entertainment on his CR85.
Camera that I used is a twenty nine dollar spy cam from hobypartz it's about the size of a flash drive.

Try watching this in 1080 not sure if it makes a big difference but what the heck.
One last thing if you would subscribe to my sons Utube site it would be greatly appreciated. He is the one handling the videos. Thanks

Here's how the flight unfolded.
1) Removed the plane from the Box
2) Used twenty minutes to assemble "preferred method"
3) Used 15 more seconds to mount camera "preferred method duct tape"
4) Spent a full 45 seconds walking across the street."yes you guessed it Preferred method"
5) Lastly smiled the whole time I posted this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " Absolutely Preferred"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fLywcEtJ9I
Why did you have to post this 4 times in two different threads? Do you think folks here can't read? Strange, very strange.
AJ
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:03 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I just received my 2200KV motor from grayson hobbies. the one that's on the clip of the skyhawk I posted a week or so ago.. I think it's time to blow my wingdragon and get the surfer.. Until it does. I will post a video most propably tomorrow after I finish the mods
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:08 AM
Joined Apr 2010
9 Posts
Hey guys im new to rc planes and i just ordered my sky surfer from banana hobby i cant wait to get it i have been reading all your post and im glad i have been hearing it is easy to fly i ordered the brushless up grade and i also got the flight simulator so i could practice before i actually go fly it
sniklac is offline Find More Posts by sniklac
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:22 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
WELCOME TO THE FAMILY SNIKLAC...
And we hope that we will have for loong time... At least I sticked with those guys I need the support to get through
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:19 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,618 Posts
JPower Sky Surfer (2 min 6 sec)
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:30 AM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Slow tip Stall

Can't we all just get along?

Weights or No Weights ?
I enjoy slow flying. It gives me more reaction and recover time. I am sure as I get more stick time I will speed up.
My T-Hawk is almost impossible to make stall. It just keeps flat.
When flying the Sky Surfer around half throttle it does want to tip stall or porpoise. I tried a few minutes with my battery as far back as I could get it and it still be grabbin any of the Velcro and it seemed to fly better.
As per AJ I should remove the washers.
Anybody else got ideas on flying slow and balancing the SkyS from tip stalls?
I think ballast in the spar near the CG makes more sense.
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:09 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
4. Replace the prop with a TGS 6x4E prop. It is less than 1/2 as loud as the stock prop and produces 30oz of thrust at a paltry 11.8a.
Any other prop you recommend? I really don't want to order one from HobbyKing.
road_rascal is online now Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:59 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Any other prop you recommend? I really don't want to order one from HobbyKing.
Yes. An APC 6x4E. Your LHS should have them. The APC 6x4E is a very popular prop.
AJ
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:15 PM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
I guess I didn't know tip stalling was the wing tips. Duh!
I am meaning more of porpoising. The nose rises and then the plane stalls and it noses down.
I can cut power on the T-Hawk and it just stays stable with all but zero air speed. A lot of lift but no nosing down diving unless I reallly try and force it up with no power.
The SS rises it's noise and the falls. I have tried trimming it down a bit but it doesn't seem to help much.
So I need to keep my air speed up and or adjust my CG?
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas