HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:48 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I got my ARF kit on Thursday and I got the fuse (which was NOT glued together- yay!), the brushless motor, wings, tail and H-stab and a few washers. Everything was complete.
Toss the washers - you don't need them. Just put the battery in the nose and it will fly much lighter and give you more time to correct for mistakes if they happen. Naturally, pick a calm day for your maiden.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:48 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
I got my ARF kit on Thursday and I got the fuse (which was NOT glued together- yay!), the brushless motor, wings, tail and H-stab and a few washers. Everything was complete.
Nice. Sell the washers to aj.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:56 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Nice. Sell the washers to aj.
Yeah. I am using them to make a special pair of ocean boots for....
AJ
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:08 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Red Flags

Well, I went out to the field to maiden my SkyS. Not a good idea. Here is how it unfolded:
1. I got my EZ* out for a test fly in winds 10-12mph.
2. I turned on my transmitter to program it with my computer (windy day program) and the transmitter was dead. I put another LiPo in it.
3. I forgot to bring my 2300mah batteries for windy day flying. I used a 2100mah though instead of my usual 1600mah.
4. For whatever reason, the gyro did not work when powering up. I rerouted around it.
5. Now, the motor won't start. I went in and re plugged everything. motor and gyro now work. Hmmmm.
6. Winds are up to about 12mph (on my anemometer).
7. I went flying and all was well. But, the wind made it not fun.
So, given all that, you won't believe it -> I packed it up and went home without trying to fly the SkyS. At this point, it was easy to do with all the messages from the "sky gods".
I got home and put the xmitter battery on the charger and it took 122 mah to charge it. So, there is nothing wrong with it. Strange day. Enough strange to dissuade me from the maiden. But, here is the video that I will compare to the SkyS. Actually, I plan to do 2 flights on video - 1 without washers and 1 with. It would be far more scientific to use a wind tunnel. But, access to that is difficult.
AJ
Sky Surfer Clone aka EZ.AVI (5 min 0 sec)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:49 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Well, I went out to the field to maiden my SkyS. Not a good idea. Here is how it unfolded:
1. I got my EZ* out for a test fly in winds 10-12mph.
2. I turned on my transmitter to program it with my computer (windy day program) and the transmitter was dead. I put another LiPo in it.
3. I forgot to bring my 2300mah batteries for windy day flying. I used a 2100mah though instead of my usual 1600mah.
4. For whatever reason, the gyro did not work when powering up. I rerouted around it.
5. Now, the motor won't start. I went in and re plugged everything. motor and gyro now work. Hmmmm.
6. Winds are up to about 12mph (on my anemometer).
7. I went flying and all was well. But, the wind made it not fun.
So, given all that, you won't believe it -> I packed it up and went home without trying to fly the SkyS. At this point, it was easy to do with all the messages from the "sky gods".
I got home and put the xmitter battery on the charger and it took 122 mah to charge it. So, there is nothing wrong with it. Strange day. Enough strange to dissuade me from the maiden. But, here is the video that I will compare to the SkyS. Actually, I plan to do 2 flights on video - 1 without washers and 1 with. It would be far more scientific to use a wind tunnel. But, access to that is difficult.
AJ
I don't blame you. I hate to maiden a plane with a stiff breeze. I would have done the same as you and flown something I'm used to and saved the new plane for another day. Should have taken your Stryker. 10-15mph breeze is perfect for it. Of course once you fly the SkyS you will probally fly it in a hurricane, but first time out I'd pick a calm day.
Ya know, I'm not joking about the bolt in the nose of the Stryker.

Q
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:07 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
I flew mine today in about 20-25mph winds. Aside from the wings flexing a bit it flew great. WOW1- The new kit had everything except the control rods for the ailerons. Which isn't a big deal as I'm going to use thicker ones anyways, along with stronger horns. I'll probably leave the washers out and put a steel rod inside the plastic wing rod for added ballast during windy days.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:22 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
........ put a steel rod inside the plastic wing rod for added ballast during windy days.
That is the preferred method.
AJ
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
I don't blame you. I hate to maiden a plane with a stiff breeze. I would have done the same as you and flown something I'm used to and saved the new plane for another day. Should have taken your Stryker. 10-15mph breeze is perfect for it. Of course once you fly the SkyS you will probally fly it in a hurricane, but first time out I'd pick a calm day.
Ya know, I'm not joking about the bolt in the nose of the Stryker.

Q
not anymore.
AJ
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:43 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
not anymore.
AJ
You may wish you had that back.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 02:40 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
This unedited video was taken a couple of days ago using one of our Brushless Sky Surfers.
This plane is stock "with washers"!!!!!! ( No grass skirts used in the making of this video!!
My son James provided some entertainment on his CR85.
Camera that I used is a twenty nine dollar spy cam from hobypartz it's about the size of a flash drive.

Try watching this in 1080 not sure if it makes a big difference but what the heck.
One last thing if you would subscribe to my sons Utube site it would be greatly appreciated. He is the one handling the videos. Thanks

Here's how the flight unfolded.
1) Removed the plane from the Box
2) Used twenty minutes to assemble "preferred method"
3) Used 15 more seconds to mount camera "preferred method duct tape"
4) Spent a full 45 seconds walking across the street."yes you guessed it Preferred method"
5) Lastly smiled the whole time I posted this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " Absolutely Preferred"

SSK, Karl

Onboard With Banana Hobby Sky Surfer (7 min 22 sec)
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Apr 17, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:01 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
This video was taken a couple of days ago using one of our Sky Surfers.
Try watching this in 1080 not sure if it makes a big difference but what the heck.
Yeah, it sure is fun when they "just fly" right out of the box. The only plane that I have assembled (as opposed to built) that flew right out of the box perfectly with no adjustments (even the trims) was a Clouds Fly. I can share your joy. Well done. Also, that yours is the first 1080 that I have seen on UTube that really looks 1080p.
What camera did you use?
Is that a brushless? Your text reads like it was RTF - was it?
What happened to the sound? Did you edit it out?
The fields on either side of the barn look like they are growing something like peaches or pears or ???? or are they just random trees?
I am pleased to see that your son was wearing protective gear and staying off the streets. Has he been riding long? He looks like an ace.
Just for kicks, try flying without the washers if you like and give us some feedback on the difference (if there is any). I will do the same (hopefully, with videos so everyone can join in the evaluation). I am going to fly without them for the maiden. Then, I will put them in and rebalance everything to a 72mm CG and post my most honest opinion. I promise I will be objective. It just might not make any difference at all.
To answer your question earlier, except for the obvious, I am going to maiden mine completely stock (with BL upgrade). The only mods that I have made are of no consequence to flying characteristics. I used my own control horns for the rudder and elevator and I added a 4mm CF to the bottom of the plane. I think by leaving it stock, I can give a much better appraisal of it by itself and then a comparison to the Wild Hawk, Easy Star, Clouds Fly, and the Dynam Hawk Sky. Ultimately, my goal is to give several options to all the EZ* owners and newbees - all aimed at beginners thru intermediate pilots (although, I think the Radian is the ultimate lazy Sunday afternoon plane - it is not fair IMO to compare it to the above planes). So far, the SkyS (so named by BrianL) is the closest I have seen to a direct EZ* clone. More info to follow if the wind ever cooperates. Wow, this is getting long and I am putting myself to sleep. Happy Flying everyone.
AJ
P.S. It sure is nice to see Saralyn trying to help out that other guy sort out his problems. If they can keep it up for a year or so, they could become one of the leaders in the hobby field.
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 17, 2010 at 04:13 AM. Reason: typos
Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:21 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
You may wish you had that back.
I don't know why. It flies better than my expectations (using all of your suggestions based on your long experience). But, maybe it would fly better with whatever weight was supposed to be in it. I only ordered the very minimum parts to make the plane. The nose cone had nothing it (I used a very bright light to look "through" it and it felt like it only weighed about 1g or so. Since I have never used any "ballast", I have no idea what the difference would be flying it. How heavy is it?
AJ
P.S. I did use the stock push rods. Now, the Stryker folks think I am crazy. I just decided to believe you instead (so far, they work just fine).
I now return you to your Sky Surfer regular programming.......
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:16 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Maiden went well.

Report to follow. Couple of problems with electronics & stuff.
AJ
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:21 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
if you are using the stock push rods it's better to use some lock tite there...

always helps
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:31 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
WOW1, I like your video! It is good to see that you are back in the air after your MIA incident with the other plane. I have a Sony Webbie that I plan to put on mine after I get it up in the air. It takes good video, but it weighs in at a porkly 4 oz. I will probably only use a 1300mAh battery with the Webbie onboard instead of my other 2200mAh batteries to help offset the weight.
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24