HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:51 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Wow.. an Rx/Tx that stopsresponding once should never be used again.. that's my opinion...
are yousure your Tx battery was ok/??
Also something that affect then is pulling the antenna off and putting it back on at somepoint...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:13 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Great. You ordered one. I am looking forward to your report on the SkyS vs EZ*. Keep us posted. I hope to maiden mine tomorrow. Since I have a lot of hours on the EZ*'s (like you), it should be a fun comparison.
AJ
P.S. Did you order the RTF? or ARF? BL motor upgrade?
I ordered the ARF with the $10. brushless upgrade. Figure I'd start there and see how that motor does. Like you I have several motors that would work well in that airframe but for 10 bucks wanted to see what they were offering. Leaving on vacation Sat so it'll be a couple weeks before I get to mess with it.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:30 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Absolute nonsense is leading people in the wrong direction. Absolute calm days are hard to come by and telling or suggesting to people if they remove weight from the front of a plane that's already a little light is not acting in the best interest to new fliers on this thread. Are you just assuming your talking to EXPERTS? like yourself?? Be sure you post the equipment you install and some performance FACTS I'm waiting. Just can't wait to build my Super Sky Surfer.

SSK, Karl

For those of you new to the hobby the many modifications that some of the rc guys make on these planes are not required to fly and enjoy these planes. Some of the mods can and will make the plane less user friendly for someone starting out in rc. There's a bunch of us that just take them out of the box and fly and enjoy them.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Apr 16, 2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:10 AM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Absolute nonsense is leading people in the wrong direction. Absolute calm days are hard to come by and telling or suggesting to people if they remove weight from the front of a plane that's already a little light is not acting in the best interest to new fliers on this thread. Be sure you post the equipment you install and some performance FACTS I'm waiting. Just can't wait to build my Super Sky Surfer.

SSK, Karl

For those of you new to the hobby the many modifications that some of the rc guys make on these planes are not required to fly and enjoy these planes. Some of the mods can and will make the plane less user friendly for someone starting out in rc. There's a bunch of us that just take them out of the box and fly and enjoy them.
I was just emailin with Jim Duda about adding ballast in the Radian spar because it is real light and really gets blown around with any wind.

?? Are the weight washers in your SkyS offset or in the middle of the fuse. Mine are way on the right side??
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:53 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2007
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I ordered the ARF with the $10. brushless upgrade. Figure I'd start there and see how that motor does. Like you I have several motors that would work well in that airframe but for 10 bucks wanted to see what they were offering. Leaving on vacation Sat so it'll be a couple weeks before I get to mess with it.
I took a gamble and ordered the the ARF kit from Banana Hobby and I lost. I received a kit with so many missing parts that it should not even be called a kit, more like only fusealage. I should have listened to all the unhappy people who ordered from them. Customer service is awful to non-existent. Never again will I deal with them.
Jumpjet101 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpjet101
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:19 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Absolute nonsense is leading people in the wrong direction. Absolute calm days are hard to come by and telling or suggesting to people if they remove weight from the front of a plane that's already a little light is not acting in the best interest to new fliers on this thread. Are you just assuming your talking to EXPERTS? like yourself?? Be sure you post the equipment you install and some performance FACTS I'm waiting. Just can't wait to build my Super Sky Surfer.

SSK, Karl

I think what you said is a great statement. For new pilots starting out the stock weight and balance is the way to go. The plane is designed to fly out of the box with the setup that was provided. Changing anything requires some experience beforehand. What AJ has done is to remove some weight off the nose and compensated the balance issue by moving the stock battery forward or a larger heavier battery. This is something a new guy shouldn't have to try and figure out yet as to why or what's better for my kind of flying. Doing modifications to your plane too soon most times causes more problems then you are prepared to deal with.
Getting tossed around too much? You need to add weight...but you must keep it balanced properly to fly...and how much weight? What's the wing load? Will it still glide nice or will it need to fly faster to stay in the air? And now that's its heavier (or lighter) my control surfaces don't respond like they use to.
Most modifications from stock come with side effects.....some good some bad. Learn to fly it stock first. Who knows...you may like it just fine.

wow1, think I should tell aj that there's a metal bolt in the nose of his new Stryker?

Q
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:23 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpjet101 View Post
I took a gamble and ordered the the ARF kit from Banana Hobby and I lost. I received a kit with so many missing parts that it should not even be called a kit, more like only fusealage. I should have listened to all the unhappy people who ordered from them. Customer service is awful to non-existent. Never again will I deal with them.
What's missing? It's listed as only the airframe though some her got lucky and got servos and esc with it.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:03 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Duplicate
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:05 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Most modifications from stock come with side effects.....some good some bad. Learn to fly it stock first. Who knows...you may like it just fine.

wow1, think I should tell aj that there's a metal bolt in the nose of his new Stryker?

Q
Darn it. I was sorry to hear that too. It was going so well with recent orders that I was sure that BH had turned the corner. Maybe Saralyn will read his post and fix whatever is wrong.
BTW- I was one of the lucky ones. I ordered an ARF with a BL upgrade and got an RR. It is still waiting for its maiden flight. But, with the washers tossed out, it probably will fly only once and I will have to pick it up in Nevada if I can find it.
Good point on the washers. If a newb doesn't know what a CG is or how to move it, it is best to leave the washers in. You explained it very well.
AJ
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:29 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Darn it. I was sorry to hear that too. It was going so well with recent orders that I was sure that BH had turned the corner. Maybe Saralyn will read his post and fix whatever is wrong.
BTW- I was one of the lucky ones. I ordered an ARF with a BL upgrade and got an RR. It is still waiting for its maiden flight. But, with the washers tossed out, it probably will fly only once and I will have to pick it up in Nevada if I can find it.
Good point on the washers. If a newb doesn't know what a CG is or how to move it, it is best to leave the washers in. You explained it very well.
AJ
Perhaps it will make Sedona AZ. I'll be there tomorrow. If so I'll grab it for you.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
The washers are offset in mine as well. I'm not an engineer yet but I'd be willing to bet there's a reason for the offset as well torque or something to that effect.

Don't tell aj about that bolt he'll be cutting that poor plane apart as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be curious to see what jumpjet received as well and more importantly what he expected to receive before I form an opinion. Maybe a case of unrealistic expectations maybe not.
Last edited by wow1; Apr 16, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:02 PM
BH CSR
Joined Mar 2010
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpjet101 View Post
I am sorry to hear that your kit is missing items, as long as you have not assembled it then I will be able to assist you in correcting this matter. Please email me at BHSara09@BananaHobby.com with your order number and photos of what you received.
Saralyn C. is offline Find More Posts by Saralyn C.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:27 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
I got my ARF kit on Thursday and I got the fuse (which was NOT glued together- yay!), the brushless motor, wings, tail and H-stab and a few washers. Everything was complete.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:34 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Control rods???
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
The washers are offset in mine as well. I'm not an engineer yet but I'd be willing to bet there's a reason for the offset as well torque or something to that effect.

Don't tell aj about that bolt he'll be cutting that poor plane apart as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be curious to see what jumpjet received as well and more importantly what he expected to receive before I form an opinion. Maybe a case of unrealistic expectations maybe not.
Of course, you lose your bet.
Your leg is being pulled and you don't even know it. newbs...... hmmmm...
AJ