Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:05 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
SkyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
1. After reading the review, I don't trust the control horns.

2. AJ, you suggested in the EZ thread that the SkyS (my new name for it ) might need a CF rod down the fuse. Have you or anyone else done this on the SkyS yet? What size? Does anyone else think it's worth the trouble on the SkyS?

3. I'm trying to decide what glue to use for the tail. Probably between Sumo, Gorilla Fast Cure, Probably not epoxy, Ca, or hot glue.
1. I agree. I did not use them. I used THESE (also, see pic). Upon closer examination, the furnished horns are junk (built to break).

2. I can't give you a good reason. But, I added a 4mm CF on the bottom (see pic). It just seemed like a good idea.

3. I did use epoxy (see pic). I sort of stacked it over the top of the base of the horn. People have argued over which glues to use for years. AFAIC, any glue that holds the pieces/parts on to the plane is the "right" glue. Actually, IMO, you could use any of the glues you mentioned and they would work. Personally, I have never had a glue joint fail (except by crashes). So, IMO, whatever you use is "right".
AJ
BTW SkyS is a GREAT name. I will use "your" name from now on. Be it known for all time, that you are the creator of that name. You have the evidence.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 14, 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Add SkyS comment
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:40 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Please keep you eyes open for my Sky Surfer. I was using it with a small video recorder today and it left the the town,state and quite possibly the country!!!!!! Also it took the camera with it as well!!!! The camera was about an hour old bummer.

Thanks, Karl

AJ did the arf come with the control rods???
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:55 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Wing Spars - IMPORTANT INFORMATION

For all of you that are still building your SkyS:
Make sure you put a "bead" of CA all along the border of the Spar Cover. I pried on mine just a little bit and both of them popped right off. It this happens in the air, the results would be disastrous. I can guarantee you that my plane would not have survived the first inside loop. So, be forewarned.
For the other few of you that have a flying SkyS, I would still suggest that you re-glue the spar cover just to protect your plane.
AJ
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:52 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
Good info ajbaker. I'll do that on mine and probably put a section of white shrink covering over the covers. I didn't feel the need to add CF to the bottom. The tail seems stiff enough. The tail on my Radian glider flexes a lot more. I thought the control horns were OK and I just hot glued them in place. I've bounced my Sky Surfer in pretty windy conditions and I haven't seen signs of them failing (yet). When I get my new one tomorrow I'll probably but better horns on.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Last edited by road_rascal; Apr 15, 2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:07 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Good info ajbaker. I'll do that on mine and probably put a section of white shrink covering over the covers. I didn't feel the need to add CF to the bottom. The tail seems stiff enough. The tail on my Radian glider flexes a lot more. I thought the control horns were OK and I just hot glued them in place. I've bounced my Sky Surfer in pretty windy conditions and I haven't seen signs of them failing (yet). When I get my new one tomorrow I'll probably but better horns on. I hope I get the same deal as the last one with everything except the TX and RX. If not it'll give me the opportunity to mod the heck out of it.
Each one of those is just sort FYI (except the wing spar cover gluing [or some other type of fix] is mandatory IMO). As always, there are numerous "right" ways to do things on planes. I just tossed those out there in case someone wants to use them. In any case, I don't think it is something that might cause some damage. Those type of suggestions seem to come up all too often. Thankfully, there are a lot of folks on here that are not afraid to call anyone on bad info.
Oh, My SkyS is RTF. 20.5 oz. AUW and 70mm CG. I tossed the washers and used the stock battery (1300mah), thereby proving that the washers are just dead weight and unnecessary. I just had to move the battery all the way in the front to balance the plane. They could be added back in for windy days, though. Actually, I flew it once (sort of) today in a wind tunnel at the university where I teach. The A&P PhD grad students set up the plane's CG position for maximum efficiency. Those young kids are smarter than I will ever be. They did mention that every plane is different and 70mm might be wrong for an identical plane. So, 70mm is just a guideline AFAIC. Two other guys on this thread used 65mm and 72mm.
AJ
P.S. What AUW are you guys getting?
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 15, 2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:31 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
Another keychain cam video of my Sky Surfer over the model airfield I fly at in Hastings, MN

Sky Surfer at Schaar's Bluff (3 min 13 sec)
Old Apr 15, 2010, 02:05 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Another keychain cam video of my Sky Surfer over the model airfield I fly at in Hastings, MN
[/URL]
Well done. It looks like you just missed some mud puddles when you landed.... Nice flying.
AJ
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:33 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
No mud puddles. Just a lot of tall weeds that were mowed down before the field opened. My keychain cam has trouble with colors during bright days.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:02 AM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
I put a CF rod down the belly seam on my SkyS. It can't hurt. Might save the fuse in mishapps.
I also have scotch fiber tape down the belly. Probably going to put a flat cf and tape over the wing saddle.
Glues: I have used Edit: 'Liquid Nails Adhesive, Clear Small Projsects, Silicone Adhesive' to repair my Radian. Glued the boom and wing saddle back together. When I totaled it into many pieces no breaks were where I glued it. It has a good bond that thet isn't real hard like CA.
Gorilla Glue White also works very well on all foams I have used it on. It foams a little so clean up while curing is necessary.
Just my Experience!
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas
Last edited by JP n Texas; Apr 16, 2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Edited Glue: Liq Nails
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:09 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Great video just recorded one myself with a camera that cost a little bit more then the key chain ones and the quality is no better. Also another person recorded and downloaded a video using a key chain cam @1080 not sure how he did that but it made a really nice play back from Utube.

One more thing glad to here your plane is balanced out aj. However for the new people reading this thread the removal of these washers will change the flight characteristics of this plane. Quite possibly making it harder to fly. Several seasoned pilots have said a little more weight in this type of plane improves flight characteristics. So my advice will be leave those very nice little washers alone!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by wow1; Apr 15, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:28 PM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Please keep you eyes open for my Sky Surfer. I was using it with a small video recorder today and it left the the town,state and quite possibly the country!!!!!! Also it took the camera with it as well!!!! The camera was about an hour old bummer.

Thanks, Karl
Any luck searching for the lost or escaped one? Did you have any ID on it?
I got my contact information on the wing and under the canopy. Also have it 2 places on my TX.
Karma says label it up real good and you won't lose it !
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:49 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
made me think about gps tracking device...
+ you have to throw your RX/TX away
one thing I didn't understand.. did you lose signal??? or orientation???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:11 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Some sort of electronic failure. James and I made a couple more passes through the SWAMP and only ended up with wet muddy feet boo!!!! Plane was flying fine on the previous flight and I made a pretty decent video. Second flight with the camera I climbed high to get a nice shot of the local lakes and the plane stop reacting to control input. Maybe I flew out of radio range who knows. It's not the first one I've lost probably won't be the last ordered two more last night. One rtf and one arf I'm going to build a super sky surfer one that out performs the one aj is building college team and all lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First thing I'll do is double up on the washers!!!!!!!!!!! ID wouldn't help much as the deer can't read!! The place it was headed is very remote. I was thinking about some sort of tracking device myself but what the heck 129.00 not the end of the world.
Last edited by wow1; Apr 15, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:34 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
1........ the removal of these washers will change the flight characteristics of this plane. Quite possibly making it harder to fly.

2. Several seasoned pilots have said a little more weight in this type of plane improves flight characteristics. So my advice will be leave those very nice little washers alone!!!!!!!!!!
1. Absolute nonsense. I have flown hundreds of RC planes in many, many configurations over the last 40 years. The removal of the washers and moving the battery forward will actually make it significantly easier (on a calm day) to fly the plane since it is a couple of ozs. lighter. The wing loading is much lighter which will give the a flyer a bit longer to recover from any mistakes. The carrying around of that extra weight is totally unnecessary and IMO - foolish. The only reason it is even in there is so the battery is easier to install. A new person to RC would be well advised to remove those silly washers.
2. Yes. That has been know since the beginning of flight. A little more weight (or ballast) will make the plane more stable on WINDY days. Any other time, it is unnecessary (for powered planes - ballast is used often in gliders, but, that is another wholly different scenario).
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 15, 2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: typos
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:34 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Same dates as mine.
At least it wasn't 2 months.
Great. You ordered one. I am looking forward to your report on the SkyS vs EZ*. Keep us posted. I hope to maiden mine tomorrow. Since I have a lot of hours on the EZ*'s (like you), it should be a fun comparison.
AJ
P.S. Did you order the RTF? or ARF? BL motor upgrade?